LTR: COLDPRUF ECO-TERRA baselayer - Christensen

  • Ryan Christensen
    Message 1 of 3 , May 20, 2013
      Gail, et al:

      Herewith is my Long-Term Report on the COLDPRUF ECO-TERRA baselayer top and bottom.  The HTML file is avialable for your reveiw and comment via this link: http://tinyurl.com/ovmtcax

      The text version is included below for your your review as well.  Thanks in advance for your comments/suggestions.

      Ryan

      LONG TERM REPORT
      May 20, 2013

      Field Locations and Test Conditions:

      During the final phase of the test, I wore the baselayer top and bottom on three more overnight outings (primarily to sleep in). Two of these overnight outings were at Krupp Scout Hollow, a former 40-acre (160,000 m2) farm and orchard located in the town of Lorenzo, just north of Idaho Falls, Idaho. The temperature was generally in the upper 20's (26 to 28 F or -3 to -2 C).

      Observations:

      The ECO-TERRA baselayer top and bottom kept me plenty warm on all outings during the final phase of the test series. In fact, on a couple of occasions, they were too warm for the activities I was engaged in, even sleeping. That could be due in part by the fact that I slept in either a 0 F (-18 C) or 15 F (-9 C) sleeping bag. Overall, I am very pleased with how well this polyester/wool blend midweight performance baselayer insulates, wicks moisture, and prevents malodor.

      Although they did not smell bad, I laundered the ECO-TERRA baselayer top and bottom twice; once at the start of this test phase, and once after the last time I wore them. They laundered well; no noticeable pilling, loose or fraying seams, etc. They did not fade in color or shrink in size.

      The only complaint I have about the ECO-TERRA baselayer continues to be how itchy/scratchy the bottom and top become next to my skin after a short period of time, especially if I am sweating. I wonder whether a greater amount of merino wool would remedy this problem. Nevertheless, I will likely keep these baselayer items in my gear stash. They will however serve as a backup to other synthetic blend baselayers I own, which for me, are more comfortable next to my skin.

      Pros:

          made from recycled PET bottles
          tagless
          flat seams
          antimicrobial

      Cons:

          after time, they become itchy/scratchy next to my skin

      This concludes my test series for the COLDPRUF ECO-TERRA baselayer top and bottom. Thanks to COLDPRUF and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to participate in this test series.

    • woodswoman
      Message 2 of 3 , May 22, 2013
        Ryan,
        Looks good..the only suggestion I would make is to delete the pros and cons in the middle or field report so that there aren't two identical sets of the same pros and cons. Nice job!

        Gail

        Herewith is my Long-Term Report on the COLDPRUF ECO-TERRA baselayer top and bottom.  The HTML file is avialable for your reveiw and comment via this link: http://tinyurl.com/ovmtcax

      • RyanC
        Message 3 of 3 , May 27, 2013
          Gail,

          Thanks for the suggestions and your help throughout this test. I have made the corrections and posted the report in the appropriate folder.

          Thanks again to ColdPruf and BGT for the opportunity to test these baselayer items.

          See you on the next one. Ryan