LTR-COLDPRUF ECO-TERRA BASELAYER-STEVE KIDD

  • ftroop94
    Message 1 of 2 , May 20 5:32 PM
      Gail,

      Following is my LTR for the base layers. Let me know what to fix!

      ~SMK

      HTML:

      http://alturl.com/porcv

      OR

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR-COLDPRUF%20ECO-TERRA%20BASELAYER-STEVE%20KIDD/

      TEXT:

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      29 - 30 March, 2013: South Cumberland State Park, Tennessee. I took a 2 day, 1 night outing with minimal mileage just to get away with a buddy at the CCC campground near Tracy City, TN. Minimal distance was covered, save the trip to the campsite and temperatures never dropped below 45 F (7 C) on the warm spring evening.

      19- 21 April, 2013: The Fiery Gizzard Trail, South Cumberland State Park, Tennessee. A 3 day, 2 nights outing; that covered a little over seven miles. With my 4 and 5 year old children in tow we descended the Climber's Loop and summited again near Foster Falls, staying one night at Father Adams and a second at the Small Wilds area. Though, they've been on many multi-night trips, this was their first true multi-site backpacking experience. Elevations were a fairly constant 1750 ft (533 m) save the trip in and out of the gulf which included very quick elevation changes of around 300 ft (91 m). Temperatures were in the mid-50's F (~13 C) during the daylight hours and mid-30's F (~2 C) at night. It was dry, but the ground was soaked on the first night, and the rain-fed creeks were gushing.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      March and April here in middle Tennessee had drastic temperature swings from unseasonably warm to cold and wet...very wet! It was never cool enough to don the base layers outside the backcountry. I did take them on two backpacking trips.

      They were nothing more than unneeded weight on my outing in late March. As the temperature never dropped below 45 F (7 C), I never even pulled them from my pack. However, in late April I went on a mutli-night outing with three adults and five young children where I was glad to have them on the first evening.

      Over the last several years I've slept in a hammock better than 90% of the time. On this outing I went to the ground sharing a tent with my two children. I'm not as well suited to this as I once was! I gave the kids my sleep pads with the more significant R-value ratings and used a pad rated just above freezing for myself. Against my better judgment I also packed a bag rated to 40 F (4 C). The first evening brought temperatures in the mid-30's F (~2 C). Significant weight loss over the last six months has caused me to be a 'cooler' sleeper and those temperatures pushed the comfort limits of that bag for me!

      I went to bed warm with no layering. It wasn't long after the S'Mores wore off and the kids dozed off that I realized I was chilled. I put the ColdPruf base layers on and they were a dream come true that evening. As usual, the top continued to be a little itchier than I would like, but I made do and was glad to be wearing them! I wore them around camp until we broke for a hike the following morning. The second night was warmer than the first and I didn't need them, but I kept them close by all night.

      SUMMARY

      Overall, the Eco-Terra's did their job. They've been superb at keeping me warm in cool to cold weather and wick moisture away from my body. The sizing is a little snug, so given the opportunity I'd go up to a size large. I do, however, wear a medium in most articles of clothing. I also found the shirt to be a little uncomfortable and itchy.

      Although, I will keep them in my gear stash, they will probably not be my go-to base layers when I hit the trail. I have other merino blends or synthetics that are simply lighter and more comfortable. If I'm running around in the snow with the kids, staying active to distract me from texture, I'll grab them all day long.

      I would like to thank Indera Mills Co. and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to test the ColdPruf Eco-Terra base layer crew and pant.

      Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.
    • woodswoman
      Message 2 of 2 , May 22 7:27 PM
        Hi Steven,
        Just a few edits and you are good to complete the series by uploading the report.

         that covered a little over seven miles.

        EDIT: Conversion needed for mileage

        I went to bed warm with no layering. It wasn't long after the S'Mores wore off and the kids dozed off
        Edit: S'mores (capital not needed on M)

        They've been superb at keeping me warm in cool to cold weather and
        EDIT: cool-to-cold weather

        Have a great summer! Gail