IR Osprey Viva 65 Backpack-Frances Penn

  • fpenn@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 15 10:45 PM
      http://tinyurl.com/ay9ts5d

      OSPREY VIVA 65 BACKPACK
      TEST SERIES BY FRANCES PENN
      IR
      May 17, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Frances Penn
      EMAIL: fpenn AT sbcglobal DOT net
      AGE: 56
      LOCATION: Santa Ana, California
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 130 lb (59.00 kg)

      I have been backpacking for six years mostly on long weekends in Southern California with two or more 5-day trips per year in the Sierras. My total daypack weight is usually 15 lb (7 kg) and my total backpack weight is usually 28-30 lb (13-14 kg) depending on the need for a bear canister. I am a tent camper and have experienced all night rain, heavy winds, camping in snow once, but mostly fair weather.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Osprey
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.ospreypacks.com" LINK TEXT = "www.ospreypacks.com">>
      MSRP: US $199.00
      Listed Weight: 3 lb 10 oz ( 1.65 kg)
      Measured Weight: 3 lb 9.5 oz (1.60 kg)
      Gear Capacity: 3967 ci (65 L)
      Load Weight Range: 10-65 lbs (4-30 kg)
      Colors available: Emerald Green, Plum Purple, both with gray accents

      The women's specific integrated custom fit Viva 65 backpack is designed specifically for backpacking trips and mountaineering expeditions. The Viva backpack is the women's specific version of the Volt 75 men's specific backpack. The large pack volume allows for long weekend or weeklong trips.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "from website">>

      Suspension Features:
      There is only one women's size available in the Viva backpack in the 65 liter volume. The torso adjusts up to 5 in (7 cm) to fit women's sizes extra small to medium and torso lengths of 14-19 in (35-48 cm) and all sizes in between. The suspension adjustment uses a peripheral framing system that works in conjunction with an internal framesheet and spacer mesh covered padded lumbar and backpanel pads with a large hook and loop closure on the panels. The torso adjustable spacer mesh foam harness has an adjustable sternum strap with rescue whistle buckle on the left buckle. The spacer mesh foam Fit-on-the-Fly™ hipbelt extends up to 3 in (13 cm) on each side to wrap around the hip bones for a custom fit for waist/hips from 26-42 in (66-107 cm). The hipbelt features zippered pockets on both sides. The hipbelt uses the ErgoPull™ hipbelt closure system that allows the clip to be closed and the belt tightened by pulling each strap forward to tighten the straps.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "suspension">>

      Other Features:
      The external hydration sleeve is located between the harness and backpanel and is easily accessed using a quick release buckle. The pack has ice axe loops on each side of the pack bottom for additional tool carrying options. There is a heavy duty red compression strap inside the top of the pack to stabilize the pack contents. There are dual lower side V compression straps over the dual access mesh side pockets and dual upper side compression straps. These also provide external gear retention options. There is a wide mouth zippered sleeping bag compartment in the pack bottom with a drop down divider. The divider clips on one side can be released and the divider dropped down to make the pack one big compartment. The pack utilizes sleeping pad straps on the bottom outside of the pack. These straps are not long enough to fit around a bear canister, but they do fit my Crazy Creek chair.

      The Stow-on-the-Go™ attachment system for trekking poles uses an elasticized loop below the side pocket on the left side of the pack and a cord lock on the left harness strap to secure the poles without removing the pack. The pack has a stretch mesh front pocket with a clip closure that bears the Osprey logo. There is a floating removable top pocket with an internal key clip and underlid zippered mesh pocket. The top pocket also extends to accommodate oversized loads. The pack also has a 3-loop daisy chain on both sides of the pack front. The zipper pulls have circular flexible rubber covers on the cords. Inside the pack, there are outdoor ethics or Leave No Trace principles printed in two languages on the inside top back area of the collar where they can easily be noticed.

      The pack body is constructed of 210 denier nylon double ripstop and the pack base is constructed using 600 denier poly. Four cord loops serve as attachment points that are intended to attach the Osprey Daylite daypack for additional storage.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "mesh inside top pocket">>

      Guarantee
      The pack comes with the All Mighty Guarantee that states Osprey will repair for any reason, free of charge, any damage or defect no matter when it was purchased. If Osprey is unable to perform a quality repair, they will replace it.

      Pack Care
      Osprey recommends cleaning out the pack thoroughly after each trip. If the pack is wet, it should be hung to dry. The pack straps should be loosened after each trip. The pack should be washed occasionally.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      Upon opening the package, I found the largest pack I have ever used in perfect condition. I especially like the unusual plum color with the gray accents. The pack included two hang tags and the owner's manual in the top pocket. One hang tag described the guarantee and the other tag listed all of the available women's packs.

      There are so many features on this pack that I decided to read the owner's manual to determine how to use them as intended by the manufacturer. The sternum strap buckle whistle and the trekking pole quick stow harness features are new to me. Since this pack is the largest I have used so far, I wanted to see just how much the pack would hold. I put one large and one small BearVault bear canister in the pack one on top of the other. I loaded the small bear canister in the bottom sleeping bag compartment and zipped it closed easily. I then placed the large bear canister in the top compartment of the pack. The pack swallowed them both and had lots of available room for more gear. I have four week long backpacking trips planned this summer. I am looking forward to fitting all of my gear, food, water and bear canister in the pack with extra space.

      When fully loaded, this pack is amazingly comfortable on my hips. The suspension system is well padded and allows for adjustment on the trail. Being able to move the hip belt higher and lower on my hips during hiking is a great option for me. Sometimes I like the hipbelt to be above my hips and sometimes I prefer it below my hips, in addition to the usual location wrapped around my hip bones. With the adjustable hipbelt extender pieces, these adjustments can be made on the trail with ease. The ability to move the hipbelt around and relieve pressure points during a long trip carrying a heavy pack is a great feature.

      Having the four small loops on the outside of the pack provides the ability to easily attach any number of items to the outside of the pack easily. This is a great option. I can't imagine that I would need the extra storage a daypack would provide considering the large volume of this pack, but there may be times when this is a necessity on longer trips.

      SUMMARY

      This pack is a great value with a lot of very useful features. I can hardly wait to take it out on the trail.

      Many thanks to Osprey and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this awesome backpack.

      Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.