LTR Heat Holder Socks - Erin Foudy

  • erinfoudy
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2013
      Hi, here is my Long Term Report for the Heat Holders.

      http://tinyurl.com/cm7c82x

      Long Term Report:

      Field Conditions:

      The Heat Holder socks came with me on a backpacking trip to the Rincon Mountains in Sagurao National Park. This was an overnight trip covering more than 15 mi (24 km) with an elevation range from 2,500 ft to 5,000 ft (762 m to 1,524 m). The temperature ranged from 25 F to 45 F (-4 C to 7 C).

      I also wore the Heat Holder socks on a 3-day, 2-night trip into the Catalina Mountains north of Tucson, Arizona. The temperature ranged from 30 F to 50 F (-1 C to 10 C) and the elevation ranged from 4,000 ft to 6,500 ft (1,219 m to 1,981 m) as I covered 33 mi (53 km) of intersecting trails.

      The socks also came with me to the White Mountains in Greer, Arizona for an overnight trip. I walked about 17 mi (27 km) in temperatures ranging from 15 F to 35 F (-9 C to 2 C) and elevation from 8,000 ft to 8,500 ft (2,438 m to 2,591 m).

      Performance in the Field:

      These socks are so comfortable! They are easily the most comfortable socks I own and are great in the colder weather. They are so soft and cushy still to this day after a lot of use. I have not had any wear and tear issues to speak of. They basically look and feel just as they did when I first got them. They can be a bit difficult to get into some of my tighter boots, but it hasn't kept me from wearing them on a regular basis over the course of this test.

      When the socks get wet as they did when I broke through some ice crossing a creek in the White Mountains, they can be a bit of a pain to dry out. The temperature was far to cold for the sun to help out much, so I had to hang them very near my campfire. Luckily I have two pairs of Heat Holders, so I was still warm and cozy while the drenched pair, along with my boots, were drying.

      Aside from backpacking I have worn the Heat Holders a lot for every day use around the house and town. I love to wear them at home on the cold tile floor. They keep my feet as warm as my house slippers that are lined with wool, and I actually prefer to wear the socks because they don't slip off when I put my feet up. I dislike being cold very much, so these socks have helped to keep me happy in these last few cooler months.

      Overall the socks have been great! I have no real complaints to speak of and I am very happy with the durability and warmth that they provide. I will look for additional pairs of Heat Holders in the years to come as they are the best cold weather socks I have owned to date. It has been a pleasure to test these socks.

      Pros:

      1. Warm
      2. Soft
      3. Super comfortable