Re: Edit - LTR Heat Holders Original Socks - Charles Nichols

  • pipefitteratwork
    Message 1 of 2 , May 7 7:36 PM
      Richard,
      Edits are done along with the tinyurl: http://tinyurl.com/cl7mtaq

      HEAT HOLDERS SOCKS
      TEST SERIES BY CHARLES NICHOLS
      LTR
      May 07, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Charles Nichols
      EMAIL: hikingshoesATyahooDOTcom
      AGE: 49
      LOCATION: Corinth, Mississippi, United States
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 218 lb (98.90 kg)

      Over the years, I have come to love hiking/backpacking. I have hiked sections of the Appalachian Trail, Palmetto Trail in South Carolina, Sipsey Wilderness in Alabama, and Big Hill Pond State Park in Tennessee. I started out with a 45 lb to 50 lb (20 to 23 kg) pack. Meeting other hikers using lighter gear has encouraged me to get lighter gear of my own. My pack weight is 28 lb - 30 lb (13 to 14 kg) now.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Heat Holders
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Manufacturer's Website:<<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.heatholders.com">>
      Manufactured in Indonesia
      MSRP: US$15.99 for the Original style ( Men's)
      Listed Weight: wasn't listed
      Measured Weight: 4.1oz (116 g) per pair
      The Men's Original style is being tested
      Size: Men's US 7-12, UK 6-11, EUR 39-45
      Ladies US 8-13, UK 7-12, EUR 41-47
      Materials: 91% Acrylic, 5% Nylon, 3% Polyester, 1% Elastane.
      Available colors: Red, Black, Charcoal, Earth Brown, Denim, Forest Green, Stonewash, Navy
      Colors tested: Charcoal and Black
      According to the manufacturer the socks have a soft fleece lining with advanced construction which holds more warm air close to the skin, keeping my feet warmer longer. TOG ( Thermal Overall Grade) rating of 2.3 which measures the textile's thermal ability. The higher the rating, the better the socks are able to keep your feet warm.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      I had two pairs of socks arrive and like most socks packaged in a sleeve type cardboard. The package contained the product information and washing instructions.
      My first impressions was that they are really thick, but very soft inside and the outside. They are one color with a small tag at the top marking "Heat Holders". According to the manufacturer the packaging shows they're seven times warmer than a basic sock.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      Care Instructions: Machine wash in warm water
      Tumble dry at lowest setting.
      Do not use bleach.
      Do not dry clean.
      Do not iron.

      TRYING IT OUT

      Due to the socks being so thick, I was concerned they might not fit into my work boots. I wore the socks along with my boots at work for ten hours. The socks were warm but felt tight in my boots. I plan to wear them on my upcoming hiking trip for additional testing, and will include these results in my Long Term Report.

      SUMMARY

      The socks are comfortable, and warm.
      I have two hiking trips coming up so this will give me a chance to test the warmth.

      This concludes my Initial Report. Thank you Heat Holders and BackpackGearTest.org for choosing me to participate in this test.

      <a name="FRPT">FIELD REPORT</a>

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      Unicoi Gap to Dicks Creek Gap:
      Last Friday morning, I met up with a few of my hiking friends at Hofers (in Helen, Georgia) for a quick meet & greet and then some breakfast. After having breakfast, we drove through the rain and fog to stage our cars at the beginning (Unicoi Gap) and end (Dicks Creek Gap) of the section of Appalachian Trail (hereafter referred to as the "AT") that we intended to hike over the next two and half days. The first day we only hiked 5.6 miles (9 km), starting at Unicoi Gap and finishing up at Tray Mountain Shelter. We started out with just over 1,000 ft (305 m) of elevation in the first 1.3 miles (2 km), and then down 900 ft (274 km). Then we immediately headed back up 1,300 ft (396 m) in the next two and half miles, and then 130 ft (39.62 m) lower was our destination for the night. Once we were all at the shelter, we started doing our normal routines, despite the slight rain. I decided that I would spend the night inside the Tray Mountain Shelter, while the rest set up their shelters. As the day was coming to an end, we finished up cooking and eating, and making final arrangements with our gear. I changed into my sleep attire along with my Heat Holders Socks (hereafter referred to as the "socks") since my feet were still a little chilled. My feet were warm all night.
      Once we all got up the next morning and got our stuff packed up, I decided to go ahead and wear my Heat Holders Socks. I wanted to see how things would go with wet shoes. I didn't have any problems at all and my feet stayed quite dry.

      Work:
      Due to my work schedule, I couldn't do any hiking anytime soon, so I wanted to see how the socks would work keeping my feet warm, since I have to wear steel toed boots. My work schedule calls for four days a week at ten hours a day. It was cold that week ranging from 20 F (-7 C) to 30 F (-1 C) and walking on concrete. Once I got up and headed to work, I wore the socks along with my boots at work for ten hours. The socks were warm but felt tight in my boots. After wearing them over a period of four days, there wasn't any odor, and my socks weren't as tight. After the wash the socks were like new again.

      Woody Gap to Unicoi Gap:
      This hiking trip was very interesting, I had just left the Veterans Hospital, made it to my apartment and picked up my hiking gear and headed to Helen, Georgia to meet my friend chicken feathers (trail name). By the time I got there it was late so got me a room for the night. I got up the next morning, as always, I checked the weather, boy was it going to be cold! Lows in the 20's (-& C) and the Highs in the 30's (-1 C). After breakfast, I head up to the trail head to meet my friend chicken feathers. When I arrived at Unicoi Gap, I checked the temperature again and it was 22 F (-6 C), at 2,949 ft (899 m), it was very windy . Once my friend made it to the trail head, we loaded up in my truck and headed to Woody Gap to start our hike. We quickly got suited up and ready to begin the hike. As we began hiking the wind immediate picked up, so much it felt like it was going to cut us in two. By the time we made it to Blood Mountain there was snow, which made it very interesting coming down 4,461 ft (1361 m) into Neel's Gap at 3,125 ft (953 m).
      Once we got to Neels Gap we decided to stop for the night and stay at the Hostel. The weather forecast was calling for 20% rain/snow. The next morning, after a wonderful night's rest, we finished breakfast, and hiked in a few miles, we stopped for a snack,as we began eating it started Snow Lion Corporation, it got harder, harder, it was so snowing so hard I stopped eating and packed up and headed over Sheep Rock Top down into the shelter at Low Gap Shelter. By the time we got to the shelter the snow had covered the woods like a white blanket. As you can tell by the picture <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3">> it was cold, windy, and snowing. All this time hiking, I had on my Heat Holders Socks, and I have to say my feet were very warm,and dry. It was at this point, it was time to change into some dry clothes along with some dry socks ( which worked great!!!) Of course it was still snowing (just as it would for pretty much the rest of the entire day, and on throughout the night). The next morning, we quickly got suited up and were ready to begin the hike. Due to all the snow it took use longer to get to the trail head, but it was a great hike!!!

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      *On my first hike I used my Heat Holders Socks to keep my feet warm in my sleeping bag and they worked great!
      great! Second time, I decided to go ahead and wear my Heat Holders Socks while hiking. I wanted to see how things would go with wet shoes. I didn't have any problems at all and my feet stayed quite dry.

      * After, working four days, and walking up and down seven flights of stairs for ten hours,I had no issue with blisters at all.

      *This was my real test for me, after hiking all day in snow and my feet never got wet.

      SUMMARY

      So far I have enjoyed these socks. They are definitely cold weather socks. For temperatures much over 40 F (4.4 C) these socks may be overkill, that is unless I am lounging around outside in the cool breeze or at the camp site. Very importantly, they are super comfy.
      This concludes my Long Term Test Report. I'd like to thank Heat Holders and
      BackpackGearTest.org for choosing me to participate in this test.

      Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.