LTR--MONTBELL HIGHLAND--STEVE KIDD

  • ftroop94
    Message 1 of 2 , May 4, 2013
      Ryan,

      This is a little early as it isn't due until the 14th...but it is pouring here today and next weekend is Mother's Day so I figured I'd go ahead and write up my LTR on the Montbell Highland.

      They've done it again! Another great one! Tell me what to make better!!!

      >>Comment: I can't wait to get the Osprey we are each testing in and get my rug rats out regularly this summer!

      ~Steve

      HTML:

      http://alturl.com/qhvpu

      OR

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR-MONTBELL%20HIGHLAND-STEVE%20KIDD/

      TEXT:

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      29 - 30 March, 2013: South Cumberland State Park, Tennessee. I took a 2 day, 1 night outing with minimal mileage just to get away with a buddy at the CCC campground near Tracy City, TN. Minimal distance was covered, save the trip to the campsite and temperatures never dropped below 45 F (7 C) on the warm spring evening.

      19- 21 April, 2013: The Fiery Gizzard Trail, South Cumberland State Park, Tennessee. A 3 day, 2 nights outing; that covered a little over seven miles. With my 4 and 5 year old children in tow we descended the Climber's Loop and summited again near Foster Falls, staying one night at Father Adams and a second at the Small Wilds area. Though, they've been on many multi-night trips, this was their first true multi-site backpacking experience. Elevations were a fairly constant 1750 ft (533 m) save the trip in and out of the gulf which included very quick elevation changes of around 300 ft (91 m). Temperatures were in the mid-50's F (~13 C) during the daylight hours and mid-30's F (~2 C) at night. It was dry, but the ground was soaked on the first night, and the rain-fed creeks were gushing.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Foster Falls (A completely rain fed waterfall)">>
      March and April here in middle Tennessee tended to be either unseasonably warm or cold and wet...very wet! Therefore, I didn't get to use the Montbell Highland to the extent I'd hoped. I probably grabbed it out of the closet to wear around town two or three times during this phase of the test, whereas I was regularly wearing it earlier on. When it was cool it was so wet I didn't want to be wearing a down product...even with a DWR.

      I took the coat on an overnight outing in late March, but it was unneeded weight, as I never even pulled it from my pack. However, in late April I went on a mutli-night outing with three adults and five young children and I used it each evening.

      I continue to have nothing but positive things to state when reviewing the product. Montbell simply makes solid products. They are functional, stylish and most importantly to me they are lightweight. None of the original concerns I posted earlier in the report ever came to fruition.

      SUMMARY

      I'm very impressed with the Montbell Highland. In my opinion, and based on a conversation I had with a representative, this jacket is designed to be sold as an entry level product. For such an 'entry level' design I personally find that it excels in many of the aforementioned ways. I also find the price point for this product very attractive. I love the coat and hope to wear it many years into the future.

      I feel as if I've praised it throughout the report and even though none of my concerns developed I have one key question that continues to circulate through my mind. What would a jacket like the Highland weigh if Montbell were to use an 800 or 900 fill power down? This is not a concern with the product by any means, simply a question that a weight conscious backpacker poses.

      I'd sincerely like to thank MontBell Co. and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to test the Highland jacket.

      Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.
    • RyanC
      Message 2 of 2 , May 27, 2013
        Steve,

        Albeit somewhat late, I am finally getting around to reviewing the Highland reports.

        You put together a nice report. Glad you liked the jacket.
        I enjoyed reading your review and the photo of the falls. Just one minor item for you to address and you are good to post in the appropriate folder.

        EDIT: <However, in late April I went on a mutli-night outing with three adults and five young children and I used it each evening. > - "mutli-night" should be "multi-night" -- please correct

        See you on the next one. Ryan