LTR: Honey Stinger Organic Gels- Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 2 , May 4, 2013
      Hi Curt,

      I've used up my gels and am ready to get this one off my plate :)

      The text is below and the link to the posted file is here:

      Thanks for providing the edits.

      Nancy

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR-%20Honey%20Stinger%20Gel-%20Nancy%20Griffith/

      http://tinyurl.com/cujggx2

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Donner Lake">>I took the gels with me for backpacking, snowshoeing, hiking and mountain biking.
      Snowshoe Backpacking:
      Loon Lake Trail, Sierra Nevada, California: 2 nights; 16.2 mi (26 km); 6,327 to 7,030 ft (1,928 to 2,143 m) elevation; 22 to 50 F (-5 to 10 C); clear to cloudy conditions with light wind.  Snow conditions were packed powder of 4 ft (1.2 m) depth.
      Backpacking:
      Loon Lake, Sierra Nevada, California: 2 days; 10 mi (16 km); 6,327 to 6,500 (1,928 to 1,981 m); 34 to 59 F (1 to 15 C) with clear conditions.
      Snowshoeing:
      Mount Rose, Carson Range, Nevada: 8,900 to 9,300 ft (2,713 to 2,835 m) elevation; 29 to 33 F (-2 to 0 C); clear conditions with little breeze.  Snow conditions were deep powder.
      Donner Lake State Park, California: 5,935 to 6,362 ft (1,809 to 1,939 m) elevation; 35 F (2 C); mostly sunny conditions.  Snow conditions were moderate depth powder.
      Hiking:
      Cronan Ranch East Ridge, Sierra Nevada, California: 4 mi (6 km); 743 to 1,262 ft (226 to 385 m) elevation; 50 to 55 F (10 to 13 C); mostly sunny conditions.
      Western States Trail, Sierra Nevada, California: 12.8 mi (20.6 km); 715 to 1,200 ft (218 to 366 m); 55 to 70 F (13 to 21 C).
      Mountain Biking:
      South Fork American River Trail, California: 13 mi (21 km); 800 to 1,200 ft (240 to 370 m) elevation; 50 to 64 F (10 to 18 C); mostly cloudy conditions.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      I liked the gels for a quick burst of energy on strenuous sections of trail.  On the Mount Rose snowshoe hike I had eaten a healthy lunch of complex carbs and protein but as we hit a steep climb in deep powder I could feel the need for some simple carbs.  I pulled out a gel and appreciated the boost it gave me to get to the top.
      I tried using the gels in different ways rather than just eating them directly from the package.  For one I used them with nut butter or sunflower seed butter on tortillas or bread.  The gels are quite runny so I found it to work best to just add the gel one bite at a time otherwise it was dripping off before I could eat it.  I also tried the vanilla gel in hot tea which was quite tasty by using about half a package.  A whole package made a large cup of tea too sweet for me.
      The taste of the gels have a predominant flavor of honey since they contain so much of it and I find that to be very good since I am a fan of honey.
      I wish the tear tab had a section to connect it to the rest of the package so that it wouldn't be so easy to lose.  I am very careful not to drop these and cause litter but I see them everywhere on the trails not just of this brand but from the many brands that use this type of packaging.

      SUMMARY

      Overall I like the flavor of the Honey Stinger gels better than other gels that I've tried due to the predominant flavor of honey which I like.  I found the gels to be a convenient and tasty way to get quick energy in the form of simple carbs.
      Thumbs Up:
      Quick energy boost
      Easy to open
      Honey base is yummy
      Thumbs Down:
      Tear tab is easily dropped
      Consistency is runny
      This concludes my Long-Term Report and this test series.  Thanks to Honey Stinger and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to participate in this test.

      Copyright 2013.  All rights reserved.

    • nwcurt
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 17 6:27 AM
        Hi Nancy,

        Here's my very timely edit. Sorry about that!

        I couldn't find anything that needs work, so after all that waiting you can go ahead and upload it as-is.

        Sorry for the extra long wait!!

        -Curt