IR - SCARPA Rapid LT - David Wilkes

  • amatbrewer
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 29, 2013
      Here is the text from my IR, you will find the HTML in the Test folder at http://tinyurl.com/c383c63 or
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20Scarpa%20Rapid%20LT%20-%20David%20Wilkes/

      This is my first test since last summer so I hope I am not too rusty. Thanks in advanced for finding any mistakes I have made and for any suggestions you have.
      David Wilkes

      Test series by David Wilkes
      SCARPA Rapid LT Light Hiking Shoe
      Initial Report - Apr 30 2013
      Field Report - due July 2013
      Long Term Report - due Sep 2013

      Tester Information

      Name: David Wilkes
      E-Mail: amatbrewer@...
      Age: 47
      Location: Yakima Washington USA
      Gender: M
      Height: 5'11" (1.80 m)
      Weight: 197 lb (89.40 kg)

      Biography:
      I started backpacking in 1995 when I moved to Washington State. Since then, I have backpacked in all seasons and conditions. I prefer trips on rugged trails with plenty of elevation gain. While I continuously strive to lighten my load, comfort and safety are most important to me. I have finally managed to get my basic cold weather pack weight, not including consumables, to under 30 lbs (14 kg).

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: SCARPA

      Year of Manufacture: 2013

      Manufacturer's Website: www.scarpa.com

      MSRP: US$110.00
      Stated Weight: 320g; 11.3oz (one size 42 EU shoe)
      Measured Weight: 335 g (11.8 oz) (one size 44 EU shoe)

      Size Information 39-48 European Men's (USA men's sizes 6 1/2- 15 1/2)
      [Note: half sizes available for sizes 39-47]

      Product image
      Image courtesy of SCARPA

      Product Description:
      The manufacturer describes these as a "minimal alpine hiking and approach shoe for moving light and fast in the mountains." And mentions that the shoes "materials are between 30 to 100 percent recycled content, and the midsoles incorporate promote quick breakdown under landfill conditions."

      Initial Report
      Apr 30 2013
      A bit of additional background about the tester: A few years ago I read some research suggests that every ounce on a walkers feet was equivalent to 3-5 times that much weight in their pack and that boots are not necessarily the best choice for hiking and backpacking if one does not need the support or protection. As a result I started wearing lighter weight shoes like trail runners for hiking and backpacking and have really been enjoying the speed, agility, and added endurance. In fact I rarely wear boots anymore even for backpacking, and in warm weather not even for mountaineering.

      The shoes are black with light gray and bright orange features. My wife first comment when she saw them, she has much better fashion sense that I do, was that they are a good looking shoe, and I have to say I agree and that they look even better in person they do in the online images.

      From the ground up: The shoes start with a black and grey low profile lug sole (with small cutouts allowing the orange midsole to show through). The lugs are distinct. They are small compared to hiking boots but large compared to some of my trail runners, and they are widely spaced (something I like as this tends to clog and/or pick up rocks and debris less). The manufacturer claims they use a sole that is "stickier than a normal trail runner or hiker" in order to provide better grip on rock since these are intended as a climbing approach shoe. To my fingers the rubber does feel somewhat soft, more like a running shoe than a trail shoe. The sole is rather flat and flexes well in the forefoot, but feels stiff through the center and most of the heel. Between the sole and the shoe is a bright orange Compression Molded EVA mid sole. They use a low profile midsole with only 7 mm (0.28 in) drop from heel to toe. The manufacturer says this low profile improves stability and since I prefer a low to zero drop in my shoes I found this to be more comfortable than some other trail shoes I have tried. Under the insole the foot bed, well stitched to the upper, feels very firm. The insole has a contoured heel that fits my heel very well. Wrapped around the toe of the shoes is a rubber rand to help protect from rocks and debris (being a bit clumsy this is something I like). The upper is made from "suede, recycled synthetic leather, recycled polyester mesh" with suede on the toes and lacing area and heel, and mesh along the sides and tong to make the shoe breathable. The heel counter of the shoe includes two features. First is that it is designed to fold flat so that it takes up less room when packed the second is the heel pull is "convertible." That is it can be used in any of 3 positions (see photo) so that the shoe can be more easily clipped to a pack. I have to say this is the first time I have heard of this feature and I think it is a great idea. The laces extend further down the toe than some shoes, but not all the way down like in a rock climbing shoe. Having the laces extend further down the toe allows for a more custom fit and this is enhanced by all but the top two sets of lace holes being stitched rather than with metal grommets( the top two sets do have metal grommets). By stitching the lace holes, durability may be slightly reduced but the added friction prevents the laces from moving as much, allowing me to adjust the laces to be tighter in some places and looser in others (sometimes I will twist my laces at key crossings to achieve a similar effect). The laces themselves (grey with orange trim) are oval, a cross between round and flat laces. I find that flat laces are less likely to come untied, but they can be more difficult to tighten and tie, so I am interested if this design will provide the best of both.

      These shoes seem to run small and are possibly a low volume shoe. I recently purchased pair of trail shoes and in the fall purchased a new pair of cross country ski boots and ended up getting a size 43.5 EU (9.5 US) in both so that is what I requested for this test. I normally wear a size 9.5 to 10 US (43 to 4 EU) shoe. However when the shoes arrived it was quickly evident that they were too small so I had them replaced with a size 44 EU (10.5US per the shoe lable) and this was a much better fit. On first use they seem to have plenty of toe room and fit my heel very well however they remain a bit snug across the middle of my foot. This is unusual for me as I have wide feet with a narrow heel so many shoes that do not come in wide sizes tend to be too narrow at the front of the foot or too loose at the heel. After wearing the shoes for a bit I found them to be very comfortable to walk in however for sitting at my desk and driving they were uncomfortably tight across the middle and top of my foot. I have tried adjusting the laces a bit and that made them more comfortable while inactive but I may have to play with the laces a bit more.

      Conversion Note: While trying to do some of the size conversions I found that there are no direct conversions for some sizes and some disagreement. For example I found both EU sizes 43 and 43.5 crossed to a US 9.5, and one reference I found showed 43 EU to be a US 10 and an EU 44 to be 10.5. So the above sizes are approximations.

      I should note that since these shoes are intended as an approach for climbers, it makes sense that climbing shoes provide a very snug fit so the foot does not move inside the shoe compromising stability. So the above described fit may be entirely intentional. I know my own climbing shoes work very well for climbing but are so tight that I would probably be in agony if I tried to walk anything more than very short distances in them.

      Overall I like the shoes. They seem very well constructed with no flaws or defects that I could find, and they have some features I really like. I am on the fence about the fit, it will take some use before I can fully judge how well these fit my feet.

      Field Report
      due July 2013

      Long Term Report
      due Sep 2013

      Likes:

      * Widely spaced lugs
      * Lightweight
      * Customizable fit (due to lace configuration)
      * Low drop

      Dislikes:

      * Tight across the top of my foot

      This concludes my Initial report. I would like to thank the folks at Scarpa and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this product.
    • Brett Haydin
      Message 2 of 3 , May 6 12:28 PM
        David,
        First, welcome back! It is great to see you back in the rotation. I hope that the early discomfort goes away and that these shoes work out for you.
        You probably remember how this works, but the conventions I use are:
        EDIT: Must be changed (spelling, etc)Edit: My recommendation, but up to you (style, readability)Comment: Just a comment. Maybe helpful, maybe not.
        Once you have made the changes, you can go ahead and upload. HTML looks solid and the links work great. One general comment I have is that the text seems to be one big paragraph. I know I find it easier to read in smaller chunks for this kind of writing. Maybe a few paragraph breaks here and there will split it up. Sorry it took a little long to respond to the posting.

        Brett Haydin

        <snip>

        The manufacturer describes
        these as a �minimal alpine hiking and approach shoe for moving light and fast
        in the mountains.� And mentions that the shoes �materials are between 30 to 100
        percent recycled content, and the midsoles incorporate promote quick breakdown
        under landfill conditions.�

        EDIT: In the second sentence, the �shoes� should be �shoe�

        Edit: I was wondering
        if you would reword this section. Of the
        whole section the only words that are your own are where you introduce the
        quotes from the manufacturer. The
        product description section should be primarily in your words, since we can
        already go to the manufacturer for their spin.

        <snip>

        My wife first comment
        when she saw them, she has much better fashion sense that I do, was that they
        are a good looking shoe, and I have to say I agree and that they look even
        better in person they do in the online images.

        EDIT: change �wife� to �wife�s� and �that I do� to �than I
        do�. You may want to break up the sentence as well.
        It is sort of long in my opinion.

        <snip>

        Having the laces extend further down the toe allows for a
        more custom fit and this is enhanced by all but the top two sets of lace holes
        being stitched rather than with metal grommets( the top two sets do have metal
        grommets).

        EDIT: the parenthesis after grommets needs a space before,
        not after.

        <snip>

        However when the
        shoes arrived it was quickly evident that they were too small so I had them
        replaced with a size 44 EU (10.5US per the shoe lable) and this was a much
        better fit.

        EDITS: Need a space after 10.5 and please change �lable� to �label�

      • david wilkes
        Message 3 of 3 , May 7 7:36 PM
          How embarrassing...After mentoring new testers on the very topic I go and use nothing but the manufacturers quote in my description.
          Thanks for catching my mistakes and especially for the suggestion on breaking up the paragraphs. That combined with making the pix a bit smaller makes the report much easier to follow.
          I have played with the laces a bit more and it has made a big difference in the comfort. I am really looking forward to getting some trail time with these. See you in a few months.

          Dave