TEST CALL - What is this term, “simmer” of which you speak?

  • vicioushillbilly
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 29, 2013
      I forgot the most important words...

      3 lucky testers will get to test the Optimus Vega 4 Season Stove. A lightweight, multi-fuel stove that simmers (WHAT?! Simmers?)…

      Here's the INFO: http://www.katadyn.com/fileadmin/user_upload/optimus/Downloads/Factsheet_Optimus_Vega_EN.pdf

      I'm looking for a brief application that includes the following:

      1. The opening disclaimer for testing

      2. Your bio, including any measurements specific to the test

      3. A brief test plan; just enough to demonstrate that you understand the product, where/how you will be testing it and how you will meet the minimum requirements

      4. A list of what you are now testing and a link to tester page.

      5. Number of ORs in the past 12 months (not including your initial 2)

      6. Any apps you have outstanding.

      7. Any additional BGT roles you play (mentor, monitor, etc.)

      US SHIPPING INCLUDED,
      Does NOT count for newbie limit.
      THREE (3) reports/4 Month Test Period
      Nancy is the Test Admin

      Also, don't forget to cc me at vicioushillbilly AT gmail DOT com so your app doesn't get lost!

      Please include "Optimus Vega Stove – your name" in the subject line.

      This call will close Saturday 4 May 2013 at 9pm EST.

      Good Luck!
      Dawn
    • Lori Pontious
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2013
        Now that I have things back to sort of normal (but still atrociously behind in most respects) I guess it's time to get back in the saddle.

        Please accept my application to review the Optimus Vega 4 Season Stove. I have read the BGT Survival Guide v. 0609 and Bylaws v. 0609 and I agree to comply with all requirements and timetables. My signed Tester Agreement is on file with BGT.

        Name: Lori Pontious
        Age: 45
        Gender: Female
        Height: 5' 7" (1.7 m)
        Weight: 163 (74 kg)
        email address: lori.pontious at gmail.com
        location: Fresno County, California, USA

        I have been dayhiking/backpacking in California since 2006, mostly in the Sierra Nevada, in the coastal ranges in winter, and into low elevation parks such as Henry Coe. I have been out at least monthly, several times a month in spring and summer, and usually carry a lightweight pack.

        Test Plan: I have a variety of trips laid out for the next four months, including a couple of four day outings, most of the time with groups. I tend to share with others when needed. My needs vary from one trip to the next but most of the time I boil water. I can't guarantee any cold trips as the weather here has turned unseasonably spring/summer - like due to the exceedingly dry year we've had so far. However, it can easily be below freezing in the Sierra any day of the year, and I'll be alpine ahead of schedule as the snow is melting apace.

        I may be tempted to try baking, simmering, frying and other creative stove hijinks with this stove! I have a variety of pots of various sizes to try with it, and a small frying pan, and have some serious fishing ahead of me this summer. And I have been known to steam bake - nothing like a good brownie or muffin on the trail!

        My thanks to Katadyn and Backpack Gear Test for their consideration.

        Current tests: Chaco Tedinho Boots (LTR about to post) and ISIS Slipstream jacket ( FR about to post) - both regrettably late�

        Test status page at http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1883.htm

        ORs in last year: 3 (I think - I had another two in the hopper and may post them shortly anyway despite not qualifying for brownie points any more)

        Other test applications: none at present

        BGT involvement: monitor: Helly Hansen H2 Flow

      • the_fish_guy
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2013
          Dawn,

          Please accept my application for the Optimus Vega 4 Season Stove. I have read the BGT Survival Guide, v. 0609, Chap. 4, 5 and 6 (and all others) and agree to follow all requirements found therein. My signed tester agreement is on file. If selected, I will provide the best test which I am capable of.

          PERSONAL BIO

          Name: Mike Curry
          Email: thefishguy@...
          Age: 43
          Location: Aberdeen, Washington
          Gender: Male
          Height: 5'11" (1.80 M)
          Weight: 190 lb (86 kg)

          I've been backpacking, climbing, ski-packing, bushwhacking, and snowshoeing throughout the mountains of Oregon and Washington for almost 30 years. I'm an all-season, all terrain, off-trail kind of guy, and enjoy backpacking, rock climbing, and mountaineering primarily in the Olympic and Cascade Mountains of Washington State.

          TEST PLAN

          My testing will occur in the Cascade and Olympic Mountains of Washington State, and possibly along the Wilderness Coast strip of Olympic National Park. Most of my trips will have mountaineering objectives, but will involve multi-day backpacking approaches. I've got a lot of trips coming up during the test period, mostly 2-3 day, but some longer.

          The stove will see use in the wettest location in the lower 48 states, as well as some very wind-exposed areas. Temperatures will range from as low as probably 10 F (-12 C) to over 70 F (21 C) at elevations from sea level to 12,000+ ft (3,657 M).

          My mountaineering objectives will allow me to test this 4 season stove under winter conditions and at elevation.

          My reports will focus on general performance, features, ease of use, and high altitude/cold weather performance.

          LINK TO PREVIOUS TEST REPORTS

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/thefishguy

          NUMBER OF OR'S IN PAST 12 MONTHS – 0

          CURRENT LOAD AND TEST STATUS PAGE