Application - Optimus Vega Stove- David Wilkes

  • amatbrewer
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2013
      Disclaimer
      Please accept my application. My signed tester agreement is on file, I have read BackpackGearTest Survival Guide, version 0609, as well as the BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws, and I intend to meet or exceed all test and reporting requirements.

      Bio
      Biographical Information
      Name: David Wilkes
      E-Mail: amatbrewer@...
      Age: 46
      Location: Yakima Washington USA
      Gender: M
      Height: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      Weight: 175 lb (79 kg)

      I started backpacking in 1995 when I moved to Washington State. Since then, I
      have backpacked in all seasons and conditions and do most of my backpacking alone in the Washington Cascades. I prefer trips on rugged trails with plenty of elevation gain. My basic overnight pack is around 30 lbs (14 kg), not including consumables.

      Product Relevant Information
      A lightweight stove that boils water quickly AND simmers?!?! I hate to tell you but, it's not April 1!

      I have a canister stove with the canister separate from the stove, and being able to invert the canister does greatly improve its cold weather performance. However it is not easy to use like that (no stand for the canister and the valve is difficult to reach when used that way), and simmer? Not even close. In fact I have had a bunch different stoves from white gas, to alcohol, to canister, to wood, and I have yet to find one that really allows me to simmer, except maybe my JetBoil. I would love to have the option of really simmering if I want, while still being able to boil water quickly (or melt snow).

      I like the convenience of a canister stove and having the canister separate from the stove body makes them more stable (lower center of gravity) and allows for a wind screen.

      If I am one of the lucky three who are selected, I would plan to use this stove for all of my backpacking outings during the test period. I have not worked out any firm dates yet, but in addition to whatever backpacking trips I can arrange I have been asked to lead one trip up Mt Adams (hopefully early while there is still good snow) and I like to make at least one solo trip up there every year and endeavor to keep that tradition going. Spring/early summer in the Pacific Northwest makes it likely I will have at least one cold weather trip where I should be able (need?) to utilize the inverted canister feature of this stove.

      Previous Tests/OR's
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/amatbrewer

      Tester status page

      OR's in last 12 Months