Application to test: PCT DVD - Ray Estrella

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2013
      Please accept my application to test the PCT DVD. I have read the BackpackGearTest.org bylaws v. 0609 including, but not limited to, Chapter 5. I agree to comply with and exceed all requirements.

      Tester Information
      Name: Raymond Estrella
      Age: 52
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 3" (193 cm)
      Weight: 220 lb (100 kg)
      Email address: rayestrella@...
      City: Moorhead
      State: Minnesota
      Country: USA
      Date: April 25, 2012

      Backpacking Background:

      I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, and in many of the western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round, and average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I have made a move to lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. I start early and hike hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring. I usually take a freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I am usually with my brother-in-law Dave.

      Test plan

      I used to live on the PCT in Idyllwild CA and met many PCT thru-hikers while hiking the mountains there or in town. Many crashed at our place while waiting for money from home or picking up resupply drops. I have also hiked many parts of the PCT myself in 3 states, including over 1000 miles of it with my brother-in-law as we piece it together. On these trips I have met many more PCT thru-hikers on the trail and in camps.

      With my decades of sharing trails with PCTers I think I could look at and share my view of the video in a way that may be interesting to readers. I own a blu-ray player and can take notes at the same time as I watch TV. I will even throw chewing gum into the mix… ;-)

      I have one test in progress at this time, the Honey Stinger gels.

      Here is a link to my tester page.

      My involvement with BGT includes active duty as Mod, Editor, Mentor, and Test Monitor.

      I have completed a lot of test series.

      I have written almost 200 Owner Reviews.

      My reports and reviews can be found at:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/rayestrella

      Thank you for your consideration of me for this test,

      Ray