Application: PCT DVD - Bob Sanders

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23 11:00 AM
      Hi Kurt,

      Please accept my application to test the PCT DVD.

      I have read and understood the current requirements in the Survival Guide Version 0609, and I agree to comply with all of these requirements as a tester. My signed Tester Agreement is on file with BGT. I will have no difficulty in meeting the use requirements of this test.

      Applicant: Bob Sanders
      Gender: Male
      Age: 55
      Weight: 220 lb (100 kg)
      Height: 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)
      E-Mail: sherpabob at mac dot com
      Location: Longmont, Colorado

      Backpacking Background:
      I have evolved from a traditional backpacker to a lightweight/ultralight backpacker. During the warmer months (April to September) my base weight is between 8 and 12 lb. (3.6 to 45.4 kg). Which shelter I take is what basically changes the base weight. When I use a tarp I am in the low end, a hammock I'm in the middle and a tent puts me on the high end. All the other equipment I take pretty much remains the same. The lighter weight preserves my knees and I find I can go longer distances and explore more challenging places. I usually travel between 6 and 20 miles (9.6 and 32 km) for day hikes and overnighters.

      Test Plan:
      This should be a pretty easy test plan. I do own a DVD player and I am willing and able to take notes.

      I also have a HUGE interest in the PCT. Back in 2003 I attempted to thru hike the PCT but only managed around 900 miles before my knees decided they were not having any more fun and made the decision to take me down with them. But alas I do sometimes dream of returning someday and finishing the task. Watching this DVD will make me homesick for that incredibly beautiful trail. It might also rekindle the fire that encouraged me to do it in the first place. I would be honored to watch this DVD and report back on my findings.

      Just for grins my trail name while on the PCT was "Sherpa". I received that name from a fellow traveler after we helped an injured hiker down a mountain pass back into town. She had sprained her ankle and he helped her walk and I carried her pack. She thanked us profusely and said " You guys were my rescue Sherpas". It was no big deal because everybody helps everybody on the PCT. After that day he just started calling me Sherpa. It kind of stuck.

      My tester status link: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/sherpabob

      Current Tests: Mountainsmith Red Rock 25L Pack

      Pending applications: None

      ORs: None in the past year

      Labors of love � Test monitor: None, open for more!

      Thank you for your consideration