IR - Helly Hansen Odin Traverse Pant - Andrei Girenkov

  • agirenkov
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22, 2013
      HTML:

      http://tinyurl.com/c6h57ck

      Text:

      HELLY HANSEN ODIN TRAVERSE PANT
      TEST SERIES BY ANDREI GIRENKOV
      IR
      April 21, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Andrei Girenkov
      EMAIL: agirenkov[AT]yahoo[DOT]com
      AGE: 31
      LOCATION: New York, New York, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      WEIGHT: 150 lb (68.00 kg)

      I have been backpacking for 6 years, mostly three-season weekend trips in the Adirondacks, and other parks in the Northeastern US. Additionally, I try to take at least one 5-7 day trip each summer to other destinations in Canada, Western United States and Central America. I use lightweight gear on a budget. My multi-day pack weight is around 20-25 lb (9-11kg). I enjoy sleeping comfortably and cooking a hot meal at night

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Helly Hansen, Norway
      Year of Manufacture: 2013
      Country of Manufacture: China
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.hellyhansen.com" LINK TEXT = "http://www.hellyhansen.com">>
      MSRP: US $300
      Listed Weight: 16.2 oz (460 g)
      Measured Weight: 13.9 oz (395 g)
      Size Tested: Small
      Color Tested: Ebony
      Listed Features:
      * HELLY TECH® Professional
      * Water resistant Ykk Aquaguard® zip pockets
      * Elastic in waist
      * Belt loops
      * Waterproof and breathable fabric, min. 22 000 mm / 25 000 g
      * Bottom hem adjustment
      * 3/4 WR side zips
      * Minimal construction

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      True to the manufacturer's description, the Odin Traverse Pant (hereafter Pant) features a very minimalist design. The first thing that jumps out is that there is a lot of attention to detail in the construction of this jacket. Every seam is very tightly stitched, there are no loose threads. Every button and zipper pull features a little Odin logo. The only color offered is "Ebony." I would describe it as more of a charcoal gray. The fabric has a slight sheen.

      The material is "HELLY TECH® Professional." Between the manufacturer's website and the laundry tag on the pants I've been abel to figure out that this is a three-ply material. The outside shell is Polyamide. It is reminiscent of ripstop nylon. The inner fabric is Polyester. Sandwiched in the middle is a waterproof breathable membrane. In addition inside the waistband and pockets is a fleece-like inner lining.

      According to the tag, the waterproof rating for this material is 20,000 and breathability rating of 20,000 g/m/24h. According to the manufacturer's website, "10,000 mm is the same pressure you would experience diving to 10m or equal to the pressure from a fire hose." 20,000 grams breathability indicates that a jacket is able to pass 40 liters water in 24 hours. In comparison, our human body perspires 1 liter per 24 hours.

      The measurements were true to size. The measured weight for a size small was significantly less than the listed weight.

      Working from the top of the pant down, there are five belt loops, and a built in waist band that is adjusted via Velcro straps. The inside of the waist band is lined with fleece. The zipper is secured with a hook and two snaps.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Waist Band" IMAGE CAPTION = "Waist Band and Top Pocket">>

      Below the waist are two front pockets and a front right cargo pocket with a Helly Hansen logo above it.. All three pockets are water sealed. The two front pockets feature reinforced pulls. The pockets are just large enough to hold a men's wallet or a large smart phone.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Cargo Pocket" IMAGE CAPTION = "Weather Sealed Cargo Pocket">>

      On both sides of the pant there is a zipper running down the leg from mid thigh down to the bottom of the pant leg. The zipper has two pulls - one at the top and one at the bottom. Zipping the top pull down opens the side of the leg for ventilation. Zipping the bottom pull up opens the entire pant leg up - see picture below. I have not found a use for this feature, and Helly Hansen customer support suggested this may be for fashion. Notably, these zippers are protected by a flap of fabric, but are not water sealed. This makes me worried that the entire pant is no longer waterproof. I will test it in a future field review.

      At the bottom of each zipper is a snap which secures the protective flap of fabric in place. Inside the ankle cuff is a nylon cinch cord. The cord follows the circumference of the ankle, and then turns ninety degrees and runs up the pant leg along the zipper. I beleive the thought behind this design is that the loose end of the cord can be safely tucked away inside the pant leg rather than dangle on top of your boot.

      Flipping the pant over, there is a "HELLY TECH® Professional" logo on the left buttock, and an "Odin" logo on the right ankle.

      TRYING IT OUT

      I spent about 30 minutes trying to figure out how to use the cinch cord. So far, it has been very awkward. In order to pull the loose end up I either had to reach inside the pant leg, or unzip the side of it, cinch the cord, and then zip it back up. I managed to cinch the pant legs up Capri style, but converting them into shorts doesn't appear possible.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Unzipped Pant Leg" IMAGE CAPTION = "Unzipped Pant Leg and Cinch Cord">>

      SUMMARY

      PROS SO FAR
      * Clean design
      * The pant is comfortable
      * Measurements are true to size
      * Waist band adjustment is easy
      * Manufacturer's claims on breathability and water resistance of fabric are impressive.

      CONS SO FAR
      * Side zippers are not water sealed - this may compromise the water resistance of the pant.
      * I have been unable to figure out a purpose for unzipping the side zippers from the bottom.
      * Ankle cinch cords are awkward to use.

      Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.