IR - Mountainsmith Red Rock 25L Day Pack

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 20, 2013
      Hi Ralph,

      Here is my IR. In test folder at... http://tinyurl.com/c7wn2q9

      Thanks for all your help with this.

      All the best,
      Bob

      Mountainsmith- Red Rock 25L Daypack

      Test Series by Bob Sanders

      Initial Report: April 20, 2013

      PERSONAL INFORMATION
      Name: Bob Sanders

      Backpacking Background: I went on my first backpacking trip as a Boy Scout at the age of 16. Over the years I have hiked the Wonderland Trail in Washington and section hiked parts of the Florida Trail, Appalachian Trail, Colorado Trail and 740 mi (1191 km) of the Pacific Crest Trail. I continue to backpack and hike year round in the Colorado mountains. I have evolved from a heavyweight backpacker to a lightweight backpacker and sometimes reach ultralight weights. My three day spring/summer solo adventures (using a tarp) have me hovering around a 10 lb (4.5 kg) base weight.

      Age: 55
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)
      Weight: 210 lb (95 kg)
      Email: sherpabob(at)mac(dot)com
      Location: Longmont, Colorado USA

      INITIAL REPORT

      April 20, 2013

      PRODUCT INFORMATION (Listed on website and hang tag)
      Manufacturer: Mountainsmith
      Manufactured: 2013
      Website: www.mountainsmith.com
      MSRP: US $79.95
      Listed Weight: 1 lb 9 oz (0.7 kg)
      Measured Weight: 1 lb 10 oz (0.75 kg)

      Features:
      • Dual panel loader
      • Air mesh backpanel with Anvil Airwayâ„¢ perspiration control system
      • Removable 1" waistbelt
      • Side "V" compression straps for load stability
      • Vertical access stash pocket
      • Trekking pole / tool mount loops
      • Interior organizer sleeve
      • Side panel mesh pockets fits SIGGâ„¢ and Nalgene® style water bottles
      • Hydration compatible with single exit port
      • Front panel daisy chain

      Details:

      • Bar tack reinforcements
      • YKK® Zippers
      • 3Mâ„¢ Reflective Cord

      Materials:
      • 210d Duramaxâ„¢ Junior RipStop Nylon
      • 420d Duramaxâ„¢ Nylon
      • 210d RipStop Liner

      Dimensions: 19.25" x 12.25" x 7.5" (49 x 31 x 19 cm)
      Volume: 1586 cubic inches / 26 L (This is an interesting or confusing concept. The bag is called the Red Rock 25L which is embroidered on the side yet it holds 26 Liters)
      Capacity: Up to 25 lbs
      Fit Range: Torso: 16" - 20" (41 - 51 cm)

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS
      At first glance this pack seems well made and durable. The seams are tight and straight with no loose threads. The only workmanship issue I could see is the embroidered Logo at the top has some issues where the letters are sort of merged together (see photo). No big deal because it does not affect the bags function. Other than that it seems to be the right size for carrying my day hike gear.

      Embroidered Logo Workmanship
      I stuffed a couple of coats and some miscellaneous gear inside to give it some weight and structure and took it for a spin around the block. It rode pretty well if not pretty high on my back. I loosened the shoulder straps pretty far and it settled in lower on the small of my back. The back panel padding is quite comfortable and even though it has a capacity listing of 25 lbs (11.3 kg) I don't think I will ever get that heavy with a day pack. I will get my standard day hike gear together and weigh it for my Field Report.

      My preference is to use water bottles over a hydration bladder even though the pack is designed to be used with either. The mesh pockets are a good size and can handle large bottles. I like the fact that the side compression straps can be positioned to secure whatever is in the side mesh pockets.

      The pack basically has 2 main panel compartments. The first one closest to your back is open all the way to the bottom and is where the hydration bladder sleeve is located. There is also a zippered mesh pocket inside. The second panel compartment is almost as big as the first and has a row of smaller open pockets including several small pen pockets (see photo above). Lastly there are 2 smaller pockets on the outside back of the pack. One at the top with a zipper that is approx. 9 by 5 in (23 by 13 cm) and the other has a vertical zipper that measures approx. 7 by 16 in (18 by 40 cm). The smaller one would be a great pocket for a camera and lunch and the larger one would be a great spot for rain gear.

      The pack also has an adjustable sternum strap that slides up and down the shoulder strap and at the bottom on the back of the pack is a small strap that could be used to attach a small reflector or flashing bike light which is a great addition for walking or riding at night.

      Pros:
      • Bright yellow interior makes it easy to see and find stuff
      • Lots of pockets to help with organization
      • Very versatile as it can be used as a day pack and a work pack. Large enough for a laptop.
      Cons:
      • None so far
      Check back in two months for my Field Report

      I would like to thank BackpackGearTest.org and Mountainsmith for the opportunity to test this pack.
    • Ralph Ditton
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 20, 2013
        Greetings Bob,
        Thank you for the IR on the Day Pack.
        Here are your edits.
        In the text version and Test Folder copy your computer seems to have some
        trouble the Trade Mark symbol as it has created these weird European writing
        symbols.
        I would just leave the TM symbol off as we do not require them in our
        reports.
        They are in the "features", "Details" and "materials" sections. (See below)
        The other two testers also picked up on the volume discrepancy.

        Features:
        • Dual panel loader
        • Air mesh backpanel with Anvil Airway™ perspiration control
        system
        • Removable 1" waistbelt
        • Side "V" compression straps for load stability
        • Vertical access stash pocket
        • Trekking pole / tool mount loops
        • Interior organizer sleeve
        • Side panel mesh pockets fits SIGG™ and Nalgene® style water
        bottles
        • Hydration compatible with single exit port
        • Front panel daisy chain

        Details:

        • Bar tack reinforcements
        • YKK® Zippers
        • 3M™ Reflective Cord

        Materials:
        • 210d Duramax™ Junior RipStop Nylon
        • 420d Duramax™ Nylon
        • 210d RipStop Liner

        Edit:" The first one closest to your back is open all.." Change "your" to
        "my" as you are talking about your pack, not mine.
        Comment: Great photos showing the inside of the pack.

        Are you a user of Daisy Chain features on a pack? If so, you may want to add
        a comment.
        Make sure that you delete your Test Folder copy when you upload your edited
        version.
        See you in two months Bob.
        Cheers
        Ralph