IR - Helly Hansen Odin Traverse Pant - Mike Curry

  • the_fish_guy
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18, 2013
      Below is my IR for the Traverse Pant. HTML can be found at http://tinyurl.com/buz4u3f

      Looking forward to your edits. I don't believe the waterproofness measures should be converted from metric as that is an industry standard, but if there is an executive decision otherwise, I'm happy to insert it.

      Mike

      HELLY HANSEN ODIN TRAVERSE PANT
      TEST SERIES BY MIKE CURRY
      IR
      April 16, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Mike Curry
      EMAIL: thefishguy AT hotmail DOT com
      AGE: 42
      LOCATION: Aberdeen, Washington
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 190 lb (86.20 kg)

      I've been backpacking, climbing, ski-packing, bushwhacking, and snowshoeing throughout the mountains of Oregon and Washington for over years. I'm an all-season, all terrain, off-trail kind of guy, and enjoy everything from casual hikes with my children to mountaineering and alpine rock climbing in the Pacific Northwest. While I've carried packs (with winter climbing gear) in excess of 70 pounds (32 kilos), the older I get the more minimalist I become.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Helly Hansen<<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Photo Courtesy of Manufacturer">>
      Year of Manufacture: 2013
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.hellyhansen.com" LINK TEXT = "http://www.hellyhansen.com/">>
      MSRP: US $200
      Listed Weight: 16.2 oz (460 g)
      Measured Weight: 15.9 oz (451 g)
      Other details:

      Size tested: Large

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      The Helly Hansen Odin Traverse pants appear at first impression to be a well-constructed and good looking pair of pants. The attached hangtag offers some basic information on features and benefits, among which are "waterproof and breathability ratings of minimum 20,000 mm and 20,000 g/m/24h." I don't know a lot about these ratings, but I do know those definitely on the higher end of the spectrum I typically use.

      The pants come with 3/4 length two-way side zips (which top out about mid-thigh for me) that are protected by a flap. An elastic drawstring with toggle at the lower cuff is present that appears as though it could gather the bottom of the leg to adjust its length somewhat shorter. The waistband has what amounts to an integrated elastic "belt" of sorts, which can be used to cinch down the waist by adjusting hook-and-loop material located on each side. A slash pocket on each side is closed with water resistant zippers. The slash pockets and waistband are lined with a soft fabric, and aside from those locations, the pants are a nylon-like material. The tag inside describes these materials as "Polyamide" for the face, and "Polyester" for the back. There are also snaps at the bottom of the leg to keep the cuff closed.

      All the stitching and sealed seams look great, and the pants appear very well made.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      A tag inside the pants states, "Machine wash in luke warm water. Mild Soap. Remove promptly from the washer. Use commercial size washer and dryer. Do not bleach. Do not tumble dry. Do not iron. Do not dry clean."

      TRYING IT OUT

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Photo Courtesy of Manufacturer">>The pants are comfortable and overall fit me well. The length is spot-on for me, and I would describe the overall fit as "athletic." Not quite fitted, but certainly not baggy. I do find them to fit slightly more snugly through the hips than I usually care for, but I don't anticipate that being a problem, as I rarely wear any kind of insulating layer on my lower half that would cause a problem. There is enough room for me to wear zip-leg pants or a baselayer underneath, which is my usual climbing attire.

      I must admit I was very impressed with the range of movement offered by the Traverse pant. Usually if pants fit me snug in the hips, I expect there to be range of motion problems, but there weren't. I was able to high-step in them very effectively, and felt no more restriction than with any other pair of pants I own.

      SUMMARY

      The Helly Hansen Odin Traverse pants appear to be a well-made, athletic fit pair of pants that I look forward to testing on upcoming backpacking trips and climbs.

      I would like to thank Helly Hansen and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test the Odin Traverse Pant. My field report will be appended to this report in approximately two months. Please check back at that time for additional information. This concludes my initial report.

      Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.