IR - Mountainsmith Red Rock Daypack - Mike Mosack

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 17, 2013
      Here is my IR for the Mountainsmith Red Rock 25 L Daypack. The link is below and the text below that.
      Thank you in advance for your time and edits!
      Mike Mosack

      http://tinyurl.com/co9dkgh

      MOUNTAINSMITH RED ROCK 25L DAYPACK
      TEST SERIES BY MIKE MOSACK
      IR
      April 10, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Mike Mosack
      EMAIL: mosack@...
      AGE: 49
      LOCATION: San Diego, California, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 1" (1.85 m)
      WEIGHT: 240 lb (109.00 kg)

      I've been backpacking for over 30 years, doing solo and group trips, with and without kids. I do day trips, weekenders and week-long or longer trips throughout the year. I backpack in all climates and seasons and in various locations within the USA, to include my favorites being Yosemite and Sierra Nevada, California. I also have worked in Afghanistan for 4 years and rely on my backpacking equipment constantly. I go lighter whenever possible. Quality and reliability of items I carry are paramount to me over price and weight.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Mountainsmith <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Image from Mountainsmith website">>
      Year of Manufacture: 2013
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://mountainsmith.com" LINK TEXT = "mountainsmith.com">>
      MSRP: US $79.95
      Listed Weight: 1 lb 9 oz (0.7 kg)
      Measured Weight: 1 lb 10 oz (0.75 kg)

      Colors available include:
      Midnight Blue
      Evergreen (I am testing this color model)
      Heritage Black
      Chili Red

      Other details:
      Warrantee - Lifetime Warrantee against material and defects

      As listed on the website:
      Features: - Dual panel loader
      Air mesh backpanel with Anvil Airway™ perspiration control system
      Removable 1" waistbelt
      Side "V" compression straps for load stability
      Vertical access stash pocket
      Trekking pole / tool mount loops
      Interior organizer sleeve
      Side panel mesh pockets fits SIGG™ and Nalgene® style water bottles
      Hydration compatible with single exit port
      Front panel daisy chain

      Details:
      Bar tack reinforcements
      YKK® Zippers
      3M™ Reflective Cord

      Materials:
      210d Duramax™ Junior RipStop Nylon
      420d Duramax™ Nylon
      210d RipStop Liner

      Dimensions - 19.25" x 12.25" x 7.5" (49 x 31 x 19 cm)
      Volume - 1586 cubic inches / 26 L
      Capacity - Up to 25 lbs

      Fit Range - Torso: 16" - 20" (41 - 51 cm)

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      I noted that the manufacturer's website names the daypack as a 25 L pack. However, the website also lists the volume at 25.99 L and the informational card attached to the daypack lists the volume at 26 L. I would like to see some consistency in this.

      Having inspected the pack, I found that all the zippers, buckles, adjustments, etc work as they should and that the pack seems to be well made.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      While there were no included instructions, the manufacturer's website has links to YouTube videos showing standard fit, care, and use tips for their products.

      There is a dynamic QR code (which is a type of bar code that is of a "square" or two-dimensional design) on the attached informational card that directs me to the manufacturer's website. The information is provided in different languages on the attached card. The manufacturer also provides numerous contact information.

      TRYING IT OUT

      The pack feels comfortable when worn and it is easily adjusted at the shoulder straps as well as the waist belt. The pack itself has compression straps which, by design, should help compress the pack to hold the contents more snugly. They seem to work as they should. The side pockets do in fact, hold a 32 oz (1 L) bottle in each. I choose to use (or reuse) Gatorade drink bottles as they are lighter in weight than my wide-mouth type Nalgene bottles.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Hanging a hydration bladder">>
      I have installed my Camelbak hydration bladder. The bladder goes in easily and connects inside to the loop that is inside the pack which allows the bladder to hang inside its own pocket and not drop down to the bottom of the pack. The hydration hose is routed through the single access hole in the top center of the pack between the shoulder straps. I can then route the hose to either my left or right shoulder strap as desired. There is a sewn loop on each shoulder strap that the hose routes through to help secure it further.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "Routing a hydration tube">>

      SUMMARY

      I am initially impressed with this day pack. It appears that it is well made and easy to adjust. I am looking forward to getting out with this daypack!

      I found inconsistency in the claimed volume of the daypack - all within the manufacturer's own statements on their website and attached informational card. While I am not prepared to "verify" the volume of this daypack, I would like to see this corrected.

      I would like to thank <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://mountainsmith.com" LINK TEXT = "Mountainsmith">> and <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://backpackgeartest.org" LINK TEXT = "BackpackGearTest.org">> for the opportunity to participate in this test.

      Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.
    • Mike Mosack
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 17, 2013
        I didn’t see a monitor assigned to this item yet.
        Mike Mosack

        Here is my IR for the Mountainsmith Red Rock 25 L Daypack. The link is below and the text below that.
        Thank you in advance for your time and edits!
        Mike Mosack

        http://tinyurl.com/co9dkgh

        MOUNTAINSMITH RED ROCK 25L DAYPACK
        TEST SERIES BY MIKE MOSACK
        IR
        April 10, 2013

        TESTER INFORMATION

        NAME: Mike Mosack
        EMAIL: mailto:mosack%40earthlink.net
[...]

      • Kathy Waters
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 17, 2013
          It’s Ralph. Not sure why that hasn’t shown up but the update with either be tonight or tomorrow morning.

          Kathy