IT - Helly Hansen FastPack Jacket - Mark Thompson

  • Mark Thompson
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2013
      Good Morning!

      With the early spring blizzard here in Colorado, I am using my time wisely and
      finishing my IR. So, for your editing pleasure, please find the text version
      below and the html version at: http://tinyurl.com/charbwa

      Best,
      Mark

      HELLY HANSEN FASTPACK JACKET
      TEST SERIES BY MARK THOMPSON
      IR
      April 06, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Mark Thompson
      EMAIL: markthompson 242 at gmail dot com
      AGE: 48
      LOCATION: Parker, Colorado, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 0" (2.10 m)
      WEIGHT: 180 lb (81.60 kg)

      Outdoor adventures started for me at an early age, my passions have grown to
      include backpacking, rock climbing, hiking, hunting, fishing, canoeing, cycling,
      skiing and snowshoeing. Most of my adventures presently take place in
      Colorado's amazing Rocky Mountains. For trail hikes, my pack typically weighs
      15 lbs/7 kg (summer/fall), 25 lbs/11 kg (winter/spring) and trail speed ranges
      from 2.5 - 4 mph (4 - 6 km/h) depending on elevation gain. For backpack trips,
      my pack weighs 40 - 45 lbs (18 - 20 kg) and my trail speed drops to 1.5 - 3.0
      mph (2 - 5 km/h).

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Helly Hansen
      Year of Manufacture: 2013
      Manufacturer's Website: <http://www.hellyhansen.com">>
      MSRP: US $300.00
      Listed Weight: 8.5 oz (240 g)
      Measured Weight: 8.5 oz (240 g)

      Other details:
      The FastPack Jacket is a lightweight shell featuring water resistant zippers
      (main and two pockets), adjustable hood, cuffs and bottom hem. The shell is
      made from waterproof yet breathable fabric and is offered in two colors, Lime
      and Cobalt Blue (lime is being tested) and 5 sizes (large is being tested).

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2">> <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT =
      "IMAGE 3">>

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      Wow, super light and super bright! I have long been amused by the shifting tide
      of the outdoor community from soft earth tones to wild colors. The lime color
      is amazingly bright and leaves no doubt about which side of the color conundrum
      this one resides. I am quite impressed by its weight (or lack thereof),
      weighing in at a mere 8.5 oz (240 g).

      I tried on the jacket, over a base layer and a mid-weight fleece, and found that
      sizing was perfect. I wouldn't consider the cut "athletic" per se but it fits
      well and the adjustable hem is sure to take up the minor amount of extra.

      The manufacturer's website claims that the hood is sized to be helmet
      compatible. I did try this with my climbing helmet and found it to be a little
      snug and restricted some movement, especially when trying to face down. I
      usually find with shells, the opposite problem, the hoods are too large and
      either get in the way, flap in the wind or simply don't protect me from the
      elements. The FastPack hood seems to be better suited to being worn without a
      helmet compared to other products. I will test its true helmet compatibility in
      the field shortly!

      TRYING IT OUT

      After looking over the jacket in the confines of my comfortable condo I knew I
      had to get this out in the woods! On Sunday, April 7, 2013, the weather on the
      "Front Range" (not really mountains, but the term refers to the metro areas just
      to the east) was sunny and warm with the temperature reaching nearly 70 degrees
      F (39 deg C). I joined a group of folks for a snowshoe/hike to Lettuce Lakes
      near Rollinsville, CO. The weather was significantly different here as we could
      see a storm pushing in as we drove to the trailhead. The temperature was 28 deg
      F (15 deg C) the wind was pretty stiff and the snow was starting to come down.

      I typically carry a hard shell in my pack for those "just in case" weather
      events and wear a soft shell. I do this as experience has shown that I get too
      hot wearing a hard shell and the shell cannot transfer enough moisture away so I
      end up getting wet with sweat. Today, I left the soft shell in the car and
      donned the Helly Hansen FastPack Jacket. The snow and wind continued throughout
      the day, enough such that the heavily treed areas in the valley didn't provide
      complete protection from their effects.

      The jacket was nearly perfect, light, wind and water proof, with superb moisture
      dissipation! I was really impressed with how well the jacket repelled the snow
      and allowed body moisture to escape. I did have some trouble with the zipper
      backing getting stuck in the zipper. This of course, happened just below my
      chin so getting it free was a bit of a challenge, and, unfortunately, resulted
      in a small tear in the the zipper backing.

      SUMMARY

      So far, an awesome jacket with the exception of the zipper. Had I purchased
      this item, I would have been inclined to return it due to this malfunction. I
      typically shop at a retailer who has a 100% satisfaction guarantee so I would
      have just exchanged it for another to give is second chance. It does seem as
      though a binding agent or something could be done to increase the rigidity of
      the material behind the zipper to prevent this from occurring.

      Thank you to Helly Hansen and BackpackGearTest.org for facilitating this test!

      Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.