Application - Gerber Intense Torch - Ed Morse

  • Edwin Morse
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8, 2013
      Ryan, please accept my application to test the Gerber Intense Torch .

      I have read and agree to comply with the newly revised Backpackgeartest
      bylaws, v. 0609. I will pay careful attention to Chapters 4, 5 and 6 and the
      new test format. I have been notified that my tester agreement is on file.

      Name: Edwin Morse

      Age: 75

      Gender: male

      Height: 5' 8" (173 cm)

      Weight: 145 lb (65 kg)

      Email address: ed dot morse at charter dot net

      County, State, Country: Grand Traverse, Michigan, U.S.

      Date: 8 April 2013

      Backpacking background:

      I started backpacking in 1979 with two weeks in northern Michigan, along the
      shore of Lake Superior. My gear was cheap, heavy and painful. Starting pack
      weight was just over 70 lb (32 Kg), with food but no water. Since then I
      have made one- and two-week trips in Michigan, Maine, New Hampshire and
      Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Florida. Now my pack varies between
      22 and 32 lb (10 and 15 kg), including food and water. I'm slowly learning
      what lighter gear works for me. I do NOT intentionally backpack when there
      is the ground is snow covered.

      Test Plan: When our snow is mostly gone (sometime in April) I will start
      with two overnight hikes to evaluate all my clothes and equipment. My
      overnight hikes are often planned the night before I go. I have three longer
      hikes in various stages of planning. In early May I plan a two night hike of
      about 30 miles, half of which will be off trail bushwhacking. In early June
      I plan to hike about 100 miles of the North Country trail in the Manistee
      National Forest. In July I have nearly completed plans for about 10 days on
      Isle Royale. For June I'm planning on hiking the North Country trail from
      Lake Michigan to Lake Superior across the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. If
      selected I would carry (and use each night) the Gerber Intense Torch on all
      my backpacking this summer.

      Spring, summer or fall nights are nearly always dark. When I'm alone I read
      before falling asleep. I always find it necessary to get up and out of the
      tent each night. I usually start packing before the sun provides enough
      light to see. Often I get my food bag down and fix my morning coffee before
      it is light enough to hike.

      There are a few specific features for which I will be looking. What is the
      lowest setting I can use for reading? For answering the call of nature? Can
      I hang the Torch in the top of my tent and see enough for most of my morning
      packing? Can I use different types of AA batteries? Are the stated
      performance times for alkaline or Lithium batteries? The big test is if I
      will continue to use the Torch for backpacking after the test is complete.

      I have no other applications pending. I have no tests in progress. I have
      been accepted to test the Helly Hanson Fast Flow jacket but no delivery yet.

      I have done two Owner Reviews in the last year and recently submitted one
      more.

      Older tests and reviews I have written may be found at the following
      location:

      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/Slosteppin>
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/Slosteppin

      and, since I had to change my ID and password early last year the latest are
      here;

      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/Ed%20Morse%2037>
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/Ed%20Morse%2037

      I have no roles other than testing.

      My tester status page should be found at:

      <http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1620.htm>

      Thank you for considering this application and thanks to Gerber for
      providing this light for evaluation and testing.