IR - HH Odin Fastpack Jacket - Coy Boy

  • Coy Boy
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2013
      There is no monitor assigned yet but I wanted to get this in before my trip to Arkansas next week. My daughter will be having minor surgery but I'll be gone until the following Saturday (head home after lunch is the plan). So, if this get edited before next Tuesday morning I can upload it. If not it will have to wait until the following Saturday or Sunday. Thanks in advance for any edits and or comments. Enjoy!

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20HH%20Odin%20Fastpack%20coyboy/

      Helly Hansen Odin Fastpack Jacket
      Test series by Coy Starnes
      Initial Report: April 6, 2013

      Tester: Coy Starnes
      Gender: Male
      Age: 51
      Weight: 250 lb (113 kg)
      Height: 6 ft (1.8 m)
      Chest: 46 in (117 cm)
      Email: starnescr@...
      Location: Grant, Alabama

      Tester Biography
      I live in Northeast Alabama. I enjoy biking, hunting, fishing, canoeing/kayaking and most other outdoor activities, but backpacking is my favorite pastime. I enjoy hiking with friends and family or solo. I hike throughout the year and actually hike less in the hot humid months of summer. My style is slow and steady and my gear is light. However, I will sacrifice weight for comfort and durability. A typical 3-season load for me is around 20 lb (9 kg) not counting food or water.

      Initial Report: April 6, 2013
      Product Information
      Test Item: Helly Hansen Odin Fastpack Jacket (size XL)
      Manufacturer: Helly Hansen
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.hellyhansen.com/
      Listed Weight: 240 g (8.5 oz)
      Measured Weight: will weigh tomorrow.
      Color: Ebony (Lime and Blue also available)
      MSRP: USD 300

      Product Description
      The Helly Hansen Odin Fastpack Jacket is designed to give full weather protection in a lightweight and packable garment. This is achieved by using what Helly Hanson calls Helly Tech Professional fabric. Here is a direct quote form the manufacture. "For extremely challenging wet, cold and windy conditions and the toughest physical challenges Helly Tech® PROFESSIONAL will keep you dry, warm and confident. The highly advanced Helly Tech® PROFESSIONAL fabrics are engineered to meet the most demanding professional requirements. They push the boundaries of technical fabric engineering and offer waterproof and breathability ratings tailored to the unique performance needs of professionals. All seams are fully taped and welded to our highest specifications for long lasting, professional grade performance. Waterproof â€" Breathable â€" Guaranteed" I did see that the tag says the fabric is !00% Polyamide on the face side and 100% Polyurethane on the back.
      The Odin looks pretty much like an ordinary rain jacket but has one feature notably different than most rain jackets. That would be the front pockets which happen to be the only pockets on this jacket. The opening for each pocket slants across the front in such a manner that together they resemble the letter A, except they don't quite meet at the top and and the crossbar is missing. OK, I guess this is a bad description but I can't think of anything better. Anyways, each pocket is accessible through a long 14 in (36 cm) waterproof zipper. Each pocket is lined with a mesh like material that should keep all but the smallest items (like a toothpick) contained. The theory behind the long pocket opening and mesh lining is that the pockets can double as vents. And while they are not in the same location as traditional pit zips, they do pass pretty close to each under arm, and to my eye are located where a breeze is more likely to let air in, especially when facing a breeze or creating my own when riding my bike. The main zipper is also waterproof. There is a cord around the bottom hem with barrel locks on each side pretty much directly under each arm for cinching the jacket tightly around the waist.

      The material for the shell of the jacket feels pretty soft. It is slightly crinkly sounding but nothing like sil-nylon. However, when wearing the jacket it is pretty silent. The material is very light but it does not give the impression that it is flimsy. Of course testing will determine that. The hood is made extra big so that it can accommodate a helmet. I don't know if Helly Henson had bike helmets in mind as they are usually shaped a little weird but it fits over mine with no problem. I found it works best to deploy it over a ball cap if not wearing a helmet. The hood can be cinched down tight with three barrel locks, one on each side in the front and one located around in the back at neck height. According to the website the Odin Faspack has the following features.

      Waterproof and breathable fabric, min. 13 000 mm / 33 000 g
      Weight: 240 grams (I'm guessing for a Medium)
      Reflective trims
      One hand cord adjustment
      Adjustable bottom hem
      Adjustable cuffs
      Fully adjustable hood
      Helmet compatible
      Vent through pockets design
      YKK Aquaguard®water resistant zip pockets
      YKK Aquaguard®water resistant front zip
      2,5 ply lightweight construction
      HELLY TECH®Professiona

      The care instructions are located on a tag sewn onto the garment on the left side down near the waist. The are given in English and 3 other languages. They simply state: Machine Wash in luke warm water. Mild Soap. Remove promptly from the washer. Use commercial size washer and dryer. Do not bleach. Do not tumble dry. Do not iron. Do not dry clean.

      My Initial Impressions
      When I first picked up the Odin Fastpack Jacket I was delighted at how light it felt because I have been looking for a good light weight, waterproof yet breathable jacket for my summer time outings. Something I could pack in a bike pannier or one of my light weigh day packs and still have room for my other essentials. I inspected the jacket for any loose stitching but did not see any. Overall I'd say it looks and feels like a quality piece of gear.

      Fit
      I am testing an XL. I chose this size based on the fact that I normally wear an XL shirt or jacket and the measurements given on the website corresponded with my 46 in (117 cm) chest. I'm actually right in the middle of the XL and XXL size since XL ends and XXL begins at 46 in (117 cm). However, I wanted a jacket that would be better suited for bike riding and not be flapping in the wind so much and it looks like I nailed the correct size. Also, I was concerned that the XXL would be way to long in the sleeves, and since the XL sleeves are a little long I suspect the XXL would fit even worse. I have already tried the jacket on over a thermal base layer and light weight down jacket and confirmed that it is pretty snug. However, I did not feel constricted at all and could move about freely with the down jacket on under the Odin. When worn over just a hooded sweat shirt or thermal top the fit was just about perfect other than the sleeves being a little long. However, I love the way the sleeves can be cinched down tight around my wrist. This is not usually that big a deal but it can make riding my bike on a cold day much more enjoyable. Then as I warm up I can open the sleeve openings up a little and let a little air enter. Here are the sleeve lengths and also the hood over my bike helmet.

      Trying it out
      I got the Odin on a cold windy day and wore it out in my yard several times over a flannel shirt. It rained the following day and was even colder at around 45 F (7 C) most of the time. I wore it outside several times while taking my dog out to potty and walking over to my dads for lunch. I was probably outside at least an hour all told but not all at once. However, I had on a hooded sweatshirt and found the jacket worked very well with this combination. I stayed perfectly dry and the jacket made the winds manageable. The hood on my sweatshirt made the hood on the jacket fit pretty good. The following day was much nicer when I wore the Odin on a hike to the holler to get a few photographs for this review. It was 48 F (9 C) when I left the house and warmed to 55 F (13 C) by the time I got back to the top of the mountain.

      I wore the jacket the entire time except for a few minutes down at the creek when I took it off to put in inside my day-pack to demonstrate how packable the jacket is. Here it is inside the mesh part of my day-pack.

      On the hike down to the creek I had the jacket zipped up and the pockets (vents) closed. After I took it off for the packing demonstration I put it back on but left the pockets and main zipper un-zipped. This proved to be a wise choice because I got pretty warm on the hike back up the mountain. I wore a ball cap but since it was not raining I did not need the hood other than to see how it worked with the cap. As with the hooded sweat short, it was still a little big but not bad. I could see myself hiking in the rain with the ball cap. Here I am at the top of the climb.

      Other Observations
      I have noticed that the hand warmer pocket openings feel a little high on the jacket. The pockets themselves are pretty deep and roomy but the zippers felt like they were pinching my arms a little when I rested my hands down in the pockets. Here are my hands inside the pockets. Also notice I have n my down jacket under the Odin.

      I'm sure the reason they are not further down is so items place in the pockets will be less likely to fall out but there is room for the zippers to extend another inch (3 cm) down and still have plenty of lip remaining. I also noticed that zipping the main zipper was a little difficult up towards the top. This is easy to alleviate by holding the jacket together at the neck. Other than these two very minor nitpicks I am totally pleased with the Odin.

      That's all for now. Please stay tuned for my Field Report which should follow in two months time. I would like to thank Helly Hansen and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this lightweight rain jacket..