Application to test - Gerber Intense Torch - Kerri Larkin

  • Kerri Larkin
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2013
      Please accept my application to test the Bear Grylls Intense Torch.

      I have read the BackpackGearTest.org bylaws (v. 0609) including Chapter 5. I agree to follow all instructions and fulfill all requirements. My signed tester agreement is on file.

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Kerri Larkin
      EMAIL: kerrilarkin AT yahoo DOT com
      AGE: 51
      LOCATION: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 247 lb (112.00 kg) (Down 22kg / 48lb and counting!)

      I've been a camper and bushwalker for over thirty years but have returned to walking after some years away due to injuries. I'm learning to use lightweight gear and love exploring with the lightest kit possible. I've travelled most of eastern Australia, walking in landscapes as diverse as tropical rainforest, snow fields, beaches and deserts.

      TEST PLAN:
      A small hand-held torch putting out 140 lumens on two AA batteries? This I've gotta see! As you know, I've tested a few torches, but this one seems truly innovative with it's triangular form, rubber grip and various lighting modes. It would also be the first CREE LED torch I've tested.

      If selected, I�d like to test how well this product will:
      store and carry in a pack,
      whether I can make the koalas fall out of the trees by dazzling them (just kidding),
      If it does indeed stay put without rolling,
      How functional the modes of lighting are in the real world,
      How durable the CREE LED bulb is - will it stand a few knocks or being thrown in a pack,
      How well all those lumens focus at the far end of the beam,
      How well does it cope with winter conditions,
      Does it slowly fade when the batteries are low or does it just suddenly stop working,
      Whether I'll feel tough enough to eat a raw snake after using a Bear Grylls product.
      Seriously, this looks like one very special piece of kit and I would be honoured to be a part of the testing process. I have no specific plans at this time, hoverer, Autumn is here and the days are getting shorter so it will be the perfect time to test a torch on those long, cold, winter nights. One of my favourite things to do after dark is to go spotlighting for wildlife and this torch would be a real boon in locating small brown furry things in the trees and on the ground.

      CURRENTLY TESTING:
      Cascade Designs LuxuryLite Ultralight Cot - IR competed, FR due early June

      ORs IN LAST 12 MONTHS
      Sorry, nil - just got a mortgage!

      CURRENT APPLICATIONS
      Nil

      OTHER BGT DUTIES
      Monitor: Dahlgren Footwear Backpacking Socks - LTR just completed - test now complete
      Wolverine Gauge Boots - LTR Due 14 May

      PREVIOUS TESTS:
      My reports can be read at: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/Bumper

      I trust my application will recommend itself to you and thank you for your consideration.

      Kind Regards,

      Kerri Larkin