Application to test - Nano Tent - Coy Boy

  • Coy Boy
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2013
      Application to test - Nano Tent

      Applicant: Coy Starnes
      Gender: Male
      Age: 51
      Weight 250 lb. (113 kg)
      Height 6 ft. (1.83 m.)
      E-Mail: starnescr@... (starnescr at yahoo dot com)
      Location: Northeast Alabama (Grant)

      I have read the latest version (v. 0609) of the Survival Guide,especially chapters 4, 5, and 6 and I agree to abide by all rules and requirements set forth. My signed Tester Agreement is on file with BGT. I will meet the minimum nights required (5).

      Brief Bio:
      I am an avid outdoorsman and enjoy hiking, backpacking, hunting, canoeing, caving, and spending as much time outdoors as possible. I live in northeast Alabama where I do most of my backpacking and hiking. I hike solo and with friends and family. I go hiking throughout the year but sometimes wimp out of actually backpacking in midsummer when the heat and humidity make the trail miserable.

      My style is slow and steady. My shelter of choice is a hammock and I usually cook with an alcohol stove. I have made great strides in becoming a lightweight backpacker but I still choose gear with an eye towards comfort and durability. My pack weight is around 25 lb (11 kg) for most summer 2 and 3 day trips. However, in the winter my pack weight climbs considerably, not only in weight but in bulk as well.

      Application
      Hello Derek, I would like to be one of the lucky testers of this fantastic sounding tent. I'm surprised you have not been flooded with apps already. Anyways, if selected I plan to test it mainly during training hikes in Death Valley and then on my upcoming solo attempt of Mt Everest. As you might imagine, temps and conditions should be varied during this test. I plan to spend one night on the summit of Mt Everest and probable a few weeks during my approach hike since I have a bum knee. I will mainly be interested in its ability to generate electricity since I plan to take a small electric space heater (you know, on of those small ceramic ones that you put under your desk), as well as a laptop and my satellite phone (to be rented). In Death Vally I will probably want to power a small fan since an air-conditioner would probably weigh to much to carry. I kinda doubt I will be able to test its waterproofness here though. I may see some rain on my Mt Everest pilgrimage but more likely will be snow. I will see how it stands up to high winds, I hear they can be over 100 MPH on the summit of Mt Everest. Even though it is touted as a 4 man tent I will probably only use it solo during the entire test period. I figure that with horse manure piled this deep nobody will want to be around.

      Proposed Test Locations and Conditions
      I usually hike in the southeast (Al, Tenn, Ga and NC) but this time promises to be different. Actually, since I have never been to Death Valley or Mt Everest I have no idea what to expect except it may be hotter than snot and colder than a witches ..well, you know.

      Test Load: 2
      Wolverine Guage Boots - LTR due May 14, 2012

      Just received: HH Odinn Fastpack jacket (no test schedule set yet)

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/Coy%20Boy

      My test status page is here

      I am currently monitoring 0 test.
    • Kathy Waters
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2013
        Coy,

        I'm going to step in here and assign one of the test spots to you. I think
        your test plan is stellar and the tent will get a good work out! Make sure
        you take lots of pictures!

        Kathy

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 7, 2013
          USB charging is useful, but can it core a apple?