IR - ARTISANA ORGANIC NUT BUTTER - Theresa Lawrence

  • Theresa Lawrence
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5 11:59 AM
      Hi Mystery Monitory for Artisana Organic Nut Butter:

      Here is my IR text and HTML below.

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20ARTISANA%20FOODS%20-%20Theresa%20Lawrence/

      ARTISANA ORGANIC NUT BUTTERS
      Test Series By Theresa Lawrence
      IR
      April 05, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Theresa Lawrence
      EMAIL: theresa_newell AT yahoo DOT com
      AGE: 35
      LOCATION: Sparwood, British Columbia, Canada
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 8" (1.73 m)
      WEIGHT: 125 lb (56.70 kg)

      I have more than 15 years of backpacking experience. Day hikes and 2-3 day backpacking trips take place on most weekends throughout the year while longer trips are only occasional. I backpack predominantly in mountain terrain (Coast Range, Cascades and Canadian Rockies) with the goal of summiting peaks. Activities I use my gear with include mountaineering, ski touring, rock climbing, kayaking, biking, trail running, Search and Rescue and overseas travel. I like my gear to be reasonably light, convenient and simple to use though I would not claim to be a lightweight hiker.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1">>Manufacturer: Premier Organics LLC, Inc.
      Year of Manufacture: 2013
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://artisanafoods.com">>
      MSRP: Not Available
      Listed Weight: 0.5 oz (14.2 g)
      Measured Packet Size: 2 x 4.8 in (5.1 x 12.2 cm)
      Flavors Available: Berry AntiOxidant, Acai Berry, Blue Algae, Goji & Milk Thistle, Phytoplankton

      NUTRITIONAL CONTENT OF EACH SINGLE USE PACKET:

      BERRY ANTIOXIDANT:
      - Ingredients: raw organic cashew butter, almond oil, goji berry powder, elderberry powder, agave and stevia
      - Calories: 69
      - Total Fat: 5 g (1 g saturated, 0 g trans)
      - Cholesterol: 0 mg
      - Sodium: 1 mg
      - Total Carbohydrates: 5 g (1 g fiber, 2 g sugars)
      - Protein: 2 g
      - Percent of Recommended Daily Vitamins/ Minerals: 0% A, 1% C, 1% calcium, 4% iron

      ACAI BERRY:
      - Ingredients: raw organic cashew butter, almond oil, acai powder, elderberry powder, agave, vanilla powder, stevia and sea salt
      - Calories: 106
      - Total Fat: 5 g (1 g saturated, 0 g trans)
      - Cholesterol: 0 mg
      - Sodium: 19 mg
      - Total Carbohydrates: 14 g (2 g fiber, 3 g sugars)
      - Protein: 2 g
      - Percent of Recommended Daily Vitamins/ Minerals: 0% A, 1% C, 1% calcium, 3% iron

      BLUE ALGAE:
      - Ingredients: raw organic cashew butter, almond oil, blue algae, agave and lemon oil
      - Calories: 70
      - Total Fat: 5 g (1 g saturated, 0 g trans)
      - Cholesterol: 0 mg
      - Sodium: 4 mg
      - Total Carbohydrates: 4 g (1 g fiber, 1 g sugars)
      - Protein: 3 g
      - Percent of Recommended Daily Vitamins/ Minerals: 10% A, 3% C, 1% calcium, 5% iron

      GOJI & MILK THISTLE
      - Ingredients: raw organic cashew butter, almond oil, goji berry powder, agave, milk thistle and vanilla powder
      - Calories: 58
      - Total Fat: 4 g (1g saturated, 0g trans)
      - Cholesterol: 0 mg
      - Sodium: 1 mg
      - Total Carbohydrates: 5 g (1 g fiber, 2 g sugars)
      - Protein: 2 g
      - Percent of Recommended Daily Vitamins/ Minerals: 0% A, 2% C, 0% calcium, 3% iron

      PHYTOPLANKTON
      - Ingredients: raw organic cashew butter, almond oil, phytoplankton, lemon oil, stevia and sea salt
      - Calories: 75
      - Total Fat: 6 g (1 g saturated, 0 g trans)
      - Cholesterol: 0 mg
      - Sodium: 35 mg
      - Total Carbohydrates: 4 g (1 g fiber, 1 g sugars)
      - Protein: 3 g
      - Percent of Recommended Daily Vitamins/ Minerals: 0% A, 2% C, 0% calcium, 5% iron

      PRODUCT DESCRITPION

      Artisana Raw Organic Superfood Nut Butters are all made with raw certified organic ingredients. All are guaranteed free from peanuts, gluten, dairy and soy. Ingredients are sourced as close to the organic farmer, if not the farmer themselves. All nut butter flavors are made with raw organic cashew butter and almond oil. The other ingredients, listed above, vary to make the different flavors.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      Each packet comes with picture instructions on the back advising to knead it first then squeeze it out of the package. I thought pictures were a little obvious, but then again, if they weren't there, I might not have thought to knead it first. It did draw my attention. There is a tear notch on the packet to help with opening as would be expected.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      Sadly, I only received two of each of the 5 flavors, so the taste test will have to wait until I'm on the trails. However, the funky coloured packaging and different flavors of nut butters has excited my taste buds in anticipation of something different to bring along on the trails. I have become bored with the same mix of trail foods I bring over and over.

      Looking closely at the ingredients and website information, I was impressed with what seems to be high quality, non-processed, nutritious ingredients. While I try to avoid processed food most of the time, arranging backpacking food always seems to include more processed foods then I would prefer. This appears to be a convenient source of non-processed food, I just hope it tastes good too. Stay tuned for the taste tests to come on the trail.

      Back to the ingredients, while all the flavors have the same basic ingredients (cashew butter and almond oil), the different powders used to make the different flavors, to my surprise, resulted in significant differences in calories, carbohydrates and sodium. Interestingly, Blue Algae has no sweetener such as stevia or vanilla like the others, I'm very curious how it will taste. Most have no vitamin A, but Blue Algae has 10% of the recommended daily intake and 5% iron - this particular ingredient has some unique nutritional benefits.

      Thanks to Premier Organics, LCC, Inc. and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to take part in this test series. I look forward to tasting these interesting flavors over the next few months.

      Copyright 2013.  All rights reserved.
    • Jamie D.
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 10 8:05 PM
        Hi Theresa,

        Looks like I get to assist you guys on this yummy looking test. There seems a bit of confusion about what the official name is going to be for the BGT site so I've asked Curt, the Test Mod to clarify. I will let you know when I know.

        Your HTML (links, layout, pics) looks good. Interestingly, you and Brett had the same idea regarding laying out the packets front and back. I really only found 2 minor edits, so we're off to a good start. :); But I do have a suggestion for some additional info. I'd like you to consider adding.
        My edits, suggestions and comments are marked with ## just below a snip of your words.

        Thanks.
        Jamie DeBenedetto
        Artisana Nut Butter Monitor

        You - While I try to avoid processed food most of the time, arranging
        backpacking food always seems to include more processed foods then I would prefer.

        ##Edit – "then" should be "than"

        ##Edit - you forgot to add the required ending to each report - something like "This concludes my _____ Report....check back in ____ months for the next one etc....."

        ##Comment/Question – In your report you mention using them on your backpacking trips because you're board with other "trail foods". I'm curious if the company list what their intended purpose is, meaning are these like Honey Stingers or Power Shots where you simply squeeze the contents into your mouth or are they meant as more of a spread used to enhance something else akin to peanut butter or nutella? What's your take and how do you plan to utilize them?