REPOST IR - Artisana SuperFood Nut Butter - Brett Haydin

  • Brett Haydin
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5, 2013
      Good grief, that last post was obnoxious! Let me repost the text so that it is easier. The html is still at http://tinyurl.com/ArtisanaIRBH
      Long Term ReportProduct Information & SpecificationsManufacturer: Premier Organics, LLC
      Year of Manufacture: 2013
      Manufacturer's Website: www.artisanafoods.com
      MSRP: N/A
      Listed Weight: 0.5 oz (14 g)
      Measured Packed Size: 2 in x 4.8 in (5.1 cm x 12.2 cm)
      Flavors available: Marine Phytoplankton, Goji & Milk Thistle, Berry Antioxidant, Acai Berry, and Blue Algae

      NameCaloriesAverage Measured WeightTotal FatCholesterolSodiumTotal CarbsProteinMarine Phytoplankton750.6 oz (17 g)6 g0 mg35 mg4 g3 gGoji & Milk Thistle580.65 ox (18.4 g)4 g0 mg1 mg5 g2 gBerry Antioxidant690.65 oz (18.4 g)5 g0 mg1 mg5 g2 gAcai Berry1060.75 oz (21.3 g)5 g0 mg19 mg14 g2 gBlue Algae700.55 oz (15.6 g)5 g0 mg4 mg4 g3 g
      The Artisana SuperFood Nut Butter packets are individual packets of nut butters (raw organic cashew butter and raw organic almond oil) mixed with several variations of raw, organic ingredients that is different for each of the five flavors offered. The packets are small enough to pack easily and have a convenient slit in the package so tearing it open should be a breeze. The product is 100% organic and is certified Kosher (all products). According to the manufacturer, each is loaded with fresh ingredients that can boost energy and is nutrient rich.

      Over the past year, I have changed my diet to eliminate as many artificial colors and flavors as possible. As such, this particular product really appeals to me because of its natural ingredients. I am not so obsessed with nutrition that I count calories or compare the amount of vitamins in every product I use, but I think I have a good palate for food and my friends do call me a "Foodie."
      Initial ImpressionsI received only 2 packets of each flavor which is just enough to supply my backpacking trips. As such, I did not open any packets to taste or try out. I have used other individual packets of peanut butter and other nut butters, so I am familiar with how they should be used. As I put together the chart above for this report, I was a little surprised at such variations in the caloric values as well as sodium. Ideally I like to take along snacks with high calorie loads as well as sodium to replenish my body as I hike. Some of the flavors are richer in these than the others, but I am interested to see if I will notice.

      Reading the InstructionsThe manufacturer's website is rich with information about the different flavors, their philosophy and how the product is made. There are even recipes available! Unfortunately none of the recipes incorporate these particular flavors, but it is a great place to start. I had originally thought I would use these as a spread only, but I think I may save some to develop a delicious sauce or two!

      To use the packets, all I need to do is knead it until it is soft and then tear open the top. The manufacture includes pictures on the packaging in case I get confused.
      SummaryI am anxious to get out into the field and see how these taste! I like that they are organic and have no artificial flavors or colors.

      Pros: Organic, healthy and easy to pack along for trips.
      Cons: Wide range of calories and/or other nutritional values.

      This concludes my Initial Report for the Artisana SuperFood Nut Butter packets. I would like to thank Premier Organics, LLC as well as the folks at BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to be a part of this test series. Please check back in approximately four months to see how I have enjoyed the nut butter packets!

      Brett Haydin

    • Jamie D.
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 10, 2013
        Hi Brett,

        Looks like I get to assist you guys on this yummy looking test. First thing first, to your questions. I have sent your question about the official name to Curt the Test Mod. Will let you know when I know. Secondly, I think your conversion thought is spot on. Unless we get wrapped about the knuckles by Ray let's keep it the way it is.
        Let's begin – HTML (links, layout, pics) looks good. I like the pic you used in your bio btw. Nice trail cred on that one. 
        My edits, suggestions and comments are marked with ## just below a snip of your words.

        Thanks.
        Jamie DeBenedetto
        Artisana Nut Butter Monitor

        You -
        Goji & Milk Thistle 58 0.65 ox (18.4 g)

        ##Edit – "ox" needs to be "oz"

        ##Comment/Question – In your report you mention using them on your backpacking trips for either snacks or maybe as a creative sauce. Does the company list what their intended purpose is, meaning are they like Honey Stingers or Power Shots where you simply squeeze the contents into your mouth or are they meant as more of a spread used to enhance something else akin to peanut butter or nutella?
      • Brett Haydin
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 11, 2013
          Jamie, Ox, eh? Apparently I have spent too much time at work... The nut butters have no real specific description on how to use them. The individual serving size limits what they really can be utilized for. My guess is the intended design was as a spread on crackers or bread. I suppose you could eat them straight out of the page, but... Well eating plain butter is yummy, but can be dry... What the website does provide, however, is a number of recipes with their bulk nut butter products. That's what gave me the idea. If you think I should reserve my use to a spread, I'll keep it that way instead. Let me know when we have settled on a title and when the folder is ready and I will go ahead and upload. Thanks again for your help!

          Brett Haydin

          "Teamwork: It's amazing how much
          can be accomplished when no one
          cares who gets the credit."

          To: backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 12, 2013
            Na, use them how you want. I was just curious if the mfg had anything thing to say about intended use. HAven't heard back from Curt yet. Will let you know.

            jamie d

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 22, 2013
              Jamie, Got the file uploaded. See you in a few months on this one!

              To: backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com