LTR: Obermeyer Kestral jacket - Christensen

  • Ryan Christensen
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2013
      Kathy, et al:

      Here is my Long-Term Report on the Obermeyer Kestral jacket.  The text version is included below and the HTML file is available via this link: http://snipurl.com/26r0pc2 for your review.

      Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.  In addition, thank you for your assistance with this test series.

      Ryan

      LONG TERM REPORT
      April 2, 2013

      Field Locations and Test Conditions:

      I wore the Kestral jacket approximately ten additional days during this last phase of the test series. These included two additional overnight cross-country ski trips in the Kelly Canyon Nordic Area. I also wore it on two daytime snowshoe outings in the Kelly Canyon Nordic Area during this last phase of the test. Temperatures were a bit warmer; in the upper 20s to mid 30s F (-3 - 2 C). In addition, I was able to wear it on two separate daytime shooting events.

      Observations:

      As was the case in the Field Test phase, the jacket performed well: it kept me plenty warm, and shed snow and rain very well. The stretch fabric never impeded my movements while skiing, snowshoeing, shoveling snow, shooting, or even working on my vehicle. During highly aerobic activities, I was able to use the goggle cloth to clean my sunglasses. I really liked having that cloth readily available and dry. The Kestral jacket has held up very well during the test series. There are no noticeable signs of wear (i.e. fraying material, loose seams, etc.). The zippers, cordlocks, and hook-and-loop closures continue to work as designed.

      While working on one of my vehicles, I accidentally got some dirt and grease on the right sleeve. Consequently, I had the opportunity to launder the Kestral. Once I unzipped all the zippers and turned the jacket inside out, I placed the Kestral in my wife's front-loading washing machine. However, against Obermeyer's recommendation to wash this jacket separately, I also included a lightweight, water resistant, hoodless, insulative jacket of the same color. Following Obermeyer's recommendations, I used Nikwax Tech Wash; a non-detergent cleanser. I washed the two jackets on a gentle cycle in cold water, and ran them through two rinse cycles. Both jackets came out looking great. There were however, minor traces of the black grease still on the sleeve of the Kestral. I probably should have placed it in the washing machine and laundered it again right then. Nevertheless, I was interested in seeing how quickly it dried following Obermeyer's recommendation to
      line-dry the jacket. Rather than rigging a clothesline in my basement, I laid the jacket over the side of my jetted bathtub. I turned the jacket over several times, but it still took about two full days for the jacket to dry. The jacket looked and smelled great, except for the trace of grease on the sleeve. I am hopeful the residual grease will come in the next laundering.

      The Obermeyer Kestral jacket has performed very well for me during this test series. It kept me warm at -21 F (-29 C) and wind gusts up to 20 mph (32 km/h) yielding a Wind Chill Index of -49.55 F (-45 C).  It kept me dry during wet snow and rain showers. That is what I expect from a winter jacket, to keep me warm and dry: the Kestral performed great on both accounts. I look forward to wearing it for many winters to come.

      I have worn the Kestral approximately fifteen additional days during the last phase of this test series. The Kestral jacket has performed very well. I look forward to wearing it for many winters to come.

      Pros:

          stylish look
          feel of shell fabric
          fully seam sealed
          numerous pockets
          pit zips
          detachable, adjustable hood

      Cons:

          nothing

      This concludes my long-term test report on the Obermeyer Kestral jacket. Thanks to Obermeyer and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to participate in this test series.

    • Ryan Christensen
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2013
        Did not see this appear on the list, so I thought I better send it again just in case.