LTR - Sea to Summit Ultra-Sli Dry Daypack - Alex Legg

  • alex
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2013
      Hi,

      Here is my LTR for this cool pack! The text is below and the HTML is at:

      http://tinyurl.com/dy55y5p

      Long Term Report:

      Field Conditions:

      I have used the day pack on many trips in southern Arizona and most recently in northern Colorado. I have also used the pack as a convenient reusable shopping bag that can be carried in my pocket. Some of the backpacking and hiking trips that I carried the pack on are listed below.

      I took the pack on a 2-day 1-night trip to the Catalina Mountains north of Tucson, Arizona. I loaded the pack with extra clothes before stowing it in my larger backpacking pack. The day pack was then used for adventures away from camp. The elevation was around 7,500 ft (2,286 m) and the temperature ranged from 25 F to 55 F (-4 C to 13 C).

      I took the day pack on many trips to the Tucson Mountains west of the city. Trips ranged from 2 m to 12 m (3 km to 19 km) in temperatures of 50 F to 70 F (10 C to 21 C). The elevation ranged from 2,200 ft to one 4,500 ft (671 m to 1,372 m).

      I also wore the day pack on more than ten outings in Roosevelt National Forest in northern Colorado. Distances ranged from 2 m to 15 m (3 km to 24 km) in temperatures of 15 F to 45 F (-9 C to 7 C). The elevation ranged from 6,500 ft to over 12,000 ft (1,981 m to over 3,658 m).
      Performance in the Field:

      The Day pack has worked out great! I am able to stuff as much food, water, and gear as I need for all day trips of 15 m to 20 m (3 km to 32 km). If my ultra-light sleeping bag was compressed I could easily use the pack for an overnight trip as long as its warm enough outside to sleep under a tarp and leave my tent behind.

      I love knowing that my gear is going to stay dry. Many of the day hikes I have gone on in northern Colorado were in pretty snowy conditions. Lots of the white stuff fell on the pack from the sky and the trees, but none of it ever got inside. I felt safe tossing the pack on the snowy ground during breaks knowing that my stuff was going to be alright.

      I don't carry any especially wet food such as fresh fruit or ham sandwiches in the pack due to the moisture collecting inside and dampening my clothes. A water bottle alone can cause some moisture to form even with the cap tightly secured, but it is a manageable problem but limiting food items that are rich in water. Lots of individually packaged granola bars and trail mixes have been the main food staples most of the time.

      The pack has remained as strong and new looking as it was when I originally opened the box. I have impressed some other trail users by how many items I can store inside without the straps digging into my shoulders. People have also been pretty impressed when I pull the stuff sack out of my pocket at the grocery store and bag up my food into my neat little backpack. This is such a cool product that it has started numerous conversations from people in the backpacking community and by many outside of it. It has been a fun thing to talk about.

      I can't say that stuffing the pack back into the stuff sack has ever gotten easy, but I can get it in without too much trouble. I find that I have to be in the right mindset to properly fold and roll the pack up because it does take some skill. I still wish the stuff sack was a tiny bit bigger, or maybe just a bit more stretchy. I think a more stretchy stuff sack would really ease the process of packing the day pack up.

      Overall I really like this product! It is small and sensible, yet provides ample space for all that I need to spend a day in the hills. My rain gear, food and water, and first aide kit fit with plenty of room to spare. I have never had a problem with outside moisture getting in, and have learned to manage the internal ecosystem from getting too humid. The pack is comfortable and strong, and I look forward to using it a whole lot more in the future.

      Things I like:
      1. Water proof
      2. Lots of space inside
      3. Packs into a super convenient size

      Things I don't like:
      1. Moisture can form inside from food items and water.

      I would like to thank Sea to Summit and BackpackGearTest.org for the chance to play with this cool day pack!
    • the_fish_guy
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 7, 2013
        Alex,

        Great report! Loved the pics! Below are your edits. See you on the next one!

        Mike

        EDIT: throughout the report you abbreviate miles as "m" and meters as "m" . . . please change all the references to miles to "mi" . . .

        <SNIP>

        The elevation ranged from 2,200 ft to one 4,500 ft (671 m to 1,372 m).

        Comment: I'd delete the word "one" . . . it sounds odd to me, though I get what you're saying, it wouldn't change the meaning to delete it.

        <SNIP>

        If my ultra-light sleeping bag was compressed I could easily use the pack for an overnight trip as long as its warm enough outside to sleep under a tarp and leave my tent behind.

        EDIT: it's warm enough (not "its")

        <SNIP>

        My rain gear, food and water, and first aide kit fit with plenty of room to spare.

        EDIT: first aid

        <END>
      • alex
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 8, 2013
          Hi Mike,

          Thank you for your time! I have made all the requested corrections and uploaded to the BGT site. See you next time!

          -Alex Legg