LTR- Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Daypack - Gail

  • woodswoman
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2013
      Mike,
      Here is my LTR for the Sea to Summit Daypack. Thanks in advance for your edits and for taking the time to be the Monitor of this series. I appreciate it. Gail

      HTML:

      http://tinyurl.com/coup4xo

      Long Term Report:
      April 1, 2013

      USA Locations and Conditions

      During the long term test period I have used the Sea to Summit
            Ultra-Sil Dry Daypack for five backcountry trips totaling twelve
            days as well as for daily activities. Locations of all activities
            were in the states of Michigan and Wisconsin and ranged from hilly
            deciduous forest to open non-deciduous communities. Elevation
            ranged from 600 ft (183 m) to almost 2000 ft (610 m).

      Location (Feb 4- 5): Hiawatha National Forest, Michigan
      Type of Trip: Trail/rustic cabin trip
      Distance: 7 mi (11.3 km)
      Length of Trip: 2 days/1 night
      Sled Weight: Approx 40 lb (18 kg)
      Sky and Air Conditions: Snow
      Precipitation:0.22 in (56 cm)
      Temperature Range:13 F to - 4 F (-11 C to -20 C)

      Location (Feb 9-11): Hiawatha National Forest, Michigan
      Type of Trip: Trail/rustic cabin trip
      Distance: 11 mi (17.7 km)
      Length of Trip: 3 days/2 nights
      Sled Weight: Approx 45 lb (20.4 kg)
      Sky and Air Conditions: Cloudy, snow
      Precipitation: 0.70 in (1.78 cm) Snow
      Temperature Range: 34 F to -3 F (1 C to -19 C)

      Location (March 2- 4): Hiawatha National Forest (Western Unit), Michigan
      Type of Trip: Trail
      Distance: 20.5 mi (33 km)
      Length of Trip: 3 days/2 nights
      Sled Weight: Approx 40 lb (18 kg)
      Sky and Air Conditions: Cloudy, snowstorms
      Precipitation: 0.01 in (0.03 cm) Snow
      Temperature Range: 24 F to 7 F (-4 C to -14 C)

      Location (March 18-19): Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore (Chapel Basin), Michigan
      Type of Trip: Trail/Bushwhack
      Distance: 10.5 mi (16.9 km)
      Length of Trip: 2 days/1 night
      Sled Weight: Approx 40 lb (18 kg)
      Sky and Air Conditions: Cloudy, snowstorms
      Precipitation: 0.58 in (1.47 cm) which is more than 11 in (28 cm) of new snow
      Temperature Range: 34 F to 9 F (1 C to -13 C )

      Location (March 25-26): Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore (Beaver Basin Wilderness), Michigan
      Type of Trip: Trail/Frozen Lake
      Distance: 14 mi (23 km)
      Length of Trip: 2 days/1 night
      Sled Weight: Approx 45 lb (20.4 kg)
      Sky and Air Conditions: Cloudy
      Precipitation: 0.02 in (0.05 cm)
      Temperature
      Range: 34 F to 20 F (1 C to -7 C)

      Location of Other Activities:Upper Peninsula of Michigan and Wisconsin
      Distances: 4 mi to 6 mi (6.5 km to 9.6 km)
      Temperature Range: 38 F to 15 F (3 C to -9 C)

      During the Long Term period I continued to wear the Ultra-Sil Dry Daypack or stow it in my sledge on all of my backcountry trips. I usually keep my ready-to-go items in the day pack such as a down sweater, extra hat, emergency beacon, re-tractable ice picks, fire starters and matches, hand warmers, snacks and permit when traveling by sledge. That way I can easily retrieve the items on the go when needed.

      The pack has never leaked and all items have remained dry. I have
            only used the outside stretch cord a couple of times as usually
            everything I want to take fits in the inside of the pack. I
            secured an extra jacket on the outside only to experiment and I
            didn't have any issue with the jacket staying securely in place
            during two different day trips.

      I have also continued to wear the pack for both backcountry skiing
            and snowshoeing. Again similar supplies were loaded into the
            daypack plus a water bottle. It has worked out well for the most
            part. Although the pack is light to carry, the exertion of skiing always leaves my back more damp while wearing the pack. I always wear breathable wool garments underneath my parka so it is not that uncomfortable just noticeable. However this would hold true for all the other packs that I have worn on my back.

      The pack has also served for bringing a change of clothes to the trailhead for both my skate and classic ski outings. I leave the pack either in my vehicle or ski hut so that I can have the items handy when I return from skiing.

      As far as durability, the pack has held up well. It usually is
            loaded into my vehicle on top of skis, poles, snowshoes and other
            gear and has survived all the various sharp points on gear. During
            backcountry ski and snowshoe trips it has encountered all kinds of
            bushwhacking with no rips or catches to the fabric. As
            aforementioned, I have not had any trouble keeping my gear dry in
            the pack even though it has been subjected to heavy wet snow,
            sleet and even light rain. There has been over 15 ft (4.57 m) of
            snow here this year so it is almost a daily occurrence. I have not
            used the stuff sack as it is very tight and I use the pack so
            often that it is not necessary to stow.

      Overall, I have found the Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Daypack to be very dependable for its light weight and I like the fact that it has been versatile for a variety of uses.

      Pros

          *     Water-resistant
          *     Light weight
          *     Roll-top closure easy to use
       Cons

          *     Stuff sack is very tight so I haven't bothered to use it Tester Remarks

      Thanks to Sea to Summit  and BackpackGearTest for this opportunity to test the Ultra-Sil Dry Daypack.This concludes my Long Term Report and the test series.

      Top of Page
    • the_fish_guy
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 7, 2013
        Gail,

        Great report, and wonderful pics! I have no edits for you, so feel free to upload when you're ready. See you on the next one!

        Mike