APPLICATION - Scarpa Rapid LT Shoes - Alex Legg

  • alex
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2013
      Please accept my application to test the SCARPA Rapid LT Shoes. I have read and understand the entire BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws v0609 including Chapter 5. I agree to comply with all requirements. My signed tester agreement is on file.

      Tester Information:
      Name:  Alex Legg
      Age:  30
      Gender:  Male
      Height:  6'4" (1.9 m)
      Weight:  195 lb (88 kg)
      Shoe Size: 13 Mens
      Email address:  alexlegg2 AT yahoo DOT com
      City, State, Country:  Lyons, Colorado, USA

      I have backpacked extensively throughout the southwestern United States my entire life. I prefer a lightweight approach using tarp tents and trail shoes so that I can save my strength for clocking miles. I hike on average 4 m daily from my back door and also enjoy trips up to 5 days in the backcountry. I encounter elevation from 5,000 ft to 14,000 ft and temperatures from below 0 F to 90 F.

      Test Plan:

      This shoe is just my style, lightweight and minimal! Bagging peaks might just be pretty easy in these. I will put them to the test in varied terrains crossing streams and small rivers as well as while climbing over boulders and scrambling up 14ers. I will report back on the traction of the soles on wet vs. dry trails and wet vs. dry slick rocks. I will test them for comfort, durability, and strength. I have had trouble with similar shoes falling apart recently, so I hope that Scarpa's reputation for making really tough products will turn out true. I also hope the toe rand provides some protection and is not just for show as it is on some of the similar shoes that I have worn. I have numerous trips planned in Rocky Mountain National Park as well as in the Indian Peaks Wilderness area and Rosevelt National Forest of northern Colorado. I also have a 60 mile trip planned in Pike National Forest near Colorado Springs. I will be in Colorado the entire testing period with national forest land literally out my back door and wilderness areas within a thirty minute drive. Rocky Mountain National Park will also be within a thirty minute drive for the majority of the testing period. There should be some pretty amazing photos coming up for this test report! If these shoes survive 4 months with me then I will be more than happy to agree with the claims I have heard about the strong products that Scarpa makes.

      Current Test Load: Gerber Instant Knife (LTR stage), Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Daypack LTR stage)
      Tester status page: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1896.htm
      Owner Reviews in past year: 11
      Link to reviews/tests: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/alexlegg
      Outstanding applications: SCARPA Kailash Boots (I would prefer the boots but would be more than happy with either.)
      Additional BGT roles: None at this time.

      Thank you for the consideration!