APPLICATION: SCARPA Kailash Boots - Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2013
      Hi Kurt,
      Please consider my application to test the Scarpa Kailash Women's boots. I have read the BackpackGearTest.org By-Laws (v. 0609) particularly Chapters 4, 5 and 6 and I agree to abide by all rules and requirements. My signed Tester Agreement is on file.

      Tester information:
      · Nancy Griffith
      · 46
      · Female
      · 5’6” (1.68 m)
      · 130 lb (59 kg)
      · bkpkrgirlATyahooDOT com
      · Northern California, USA

      Backpacking background:
      My outdoor experience began in high school with involvement in a local canoeing/camping group called Canoe Trails. The culmination was a 10-day canoe voyage through the Quebec wilds. I've been backpacking since my college days in Pennsylvania. I have completed all of the Appalachian Trail in Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina. My typical trip now is in the Sierra Nevada in California and is from a few days to a week long. I carry a light to mid-weight load, use a tent, stove and trekking poles.

      Test plan or strategy:
      I have reduced my pack weight significantly in the past few years and wear light hikers or trail shoes.  So I should be applying for the Rapid shoes, right?  However, this year we have plans to hike the 220 mile John Muir Trail and with a 110 mile section with no re-supply, I'll be carrying a much heavier load than normal.  This means that I'll need to spend the spring & summer training with a heavier load also.  So, these boots are EXACTLY what I expect I'll need with a much stiffer sole to provide support and a mid-height boot for ankle support.  But these boots also claim to have good flexibility and mobility which is crucial.  The lace tensioning is super for steep downhill sections under load.  I like to think I'm ok without waterproofing but I have to admit that I really prefer it so I can slosh through that spring runoff without getting my socks wet.  I love their sizing too which gives an option BETWEEN my two possible choices and a
      women's specific model is ideal since my feet certainly don't fit in men's boots.
      Test Conditions: (Firm Plans)
      Spring: 3-days at Pinnacles National Park (California): 1,260 to 2,100 ft (384 to 640 m) elevation; 28 to 70 F (-2 to 21 C). There is no backcountry camping allowed so we’ll dayhike and car camp. OR 3-days at Henry Coe State Park at similar conditions but with backcountry camping.  The elevation profiles at Henry Coe are apparently unforgiving!  Sounds perfect :)
      Day Hiking: Sierra Nevada, 2,000 to 8,000 ft (600 – 2,400 m); 20 to 70 F (-7 to 21 C).
      We backpack at least once per month and day hike most other weekends and many weekdays. All plans this summer will be in training for our JMT hike in August.  Monthly mileage is my goal and carrying a heavy load (on purpose for once) is my plan.  Summiting some high peaks will be important too.

      I have written 6 OR's in the past year for brownie points.
      My reviews can be viewed at:http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/ngriffith

      My current tests are:
      Honey Stinger Organic Gels: LTR Stage
      GSI Pack Kitchen: LTR Stage
      Helly Hansen Flow jacket: awaiting
      Labor of Love: Test Director, Monitor

      I have no other applications pending.
      Thank you for considering my application.

      Nancy