APPLICATION: SCARPA Rapid LT Shoes - Christensen

  • Ryan Christensen
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27, 2013
      Brett,

      Please accept my application to test the SCARPA Rapid LT approach shoe.  I have read the BGT Survival Guide v. 0609 and Bylaws v. 0609 and I agree to comply with all requirements and timetables.  My signed Tester Agreement is on file with BGT.

      Reviewer Information:

      Name:    Ryan L. Christensen
      Age:  48
      Gender:  Male
      Height:  6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
      Weight:  235 lb (107 kg)
      Shoe Size: US 10.5 medium width
      Email address:  bigdawgryan (at) yahoo (dot) com
      City, State, Country:  Idaho Falls, ID, U.S.A

      Backpacking Background:

      I began backpacking at twelve, continuing until 25.  After an extended hiatus, due in part to a bad back, I resumed cycling, hiking, and backpacking several years ago and began snowshoeing and cross-country skiing.  I share my love for backpacking and these sports with my children.  For several years, we have hiked or camped nearly every month, year-round.  We vary our experience: desert, forest, meadow, and mountain; spring, summer, fall, and winter; sunshine, rain, wind, or snow.  I am a lightweight backpacker, but carry a full array of necessary gear.

      Field Information:

      I live in southeastern Idaho, at an elevation of approximately 4,700 ft (1,433 m) above sea level.  I plan is to test the boots in southeastern Idaho and southwestern Wyoming on all my backpacking, hiking, and camping during the test period.  I have several of each in the planning stages.  Outings during the test period will likely include elevations ranging between 4,700 ft (1,433 m) and 11,200 feet (3,414 m).  Weather during the test period should include wind, rain, snow with average temps ranging from highs in the low 90’s F (low 30’s C) with low temps possible in the low teens F (-10 to -18 C).

      Proposed Test Plan:

      I really love testing boots!  I’ve never worn Scarpa boots or shoes before; but have heard and read great reviews about them.  How well will this particular trail shoe fit my somewhat narrow, medium to low volume feet?  How will the suede, recycled synthetic leather, and recycled polyester mesh uppers perform?  Will these shoes provide sufficient comfort, grip, durability, and stability on varied terrain; both with and without a heavy backpack?  If selected for this test, I would like to test men’s size 10.5 US

      Thanks to SCARPA and BGT for considering me to test these shoes.

      Current Tests:
      -    Obermeyer Kestral jacket – LTR due 4/2/13
      -    ColdPruf Base Layers –LTR due 5/21/13

      Test Applications Currently Under Consideration:

      -    SCARPA Kailash (of the two, I prefer to test the Kailash)

      BGT Involvement:

      - Test Call Manager
      - Test Monitor

      Previous Reviews:

      Please click the link below to access my Owner Reviews and Test Reports.

      http://tinyurl.com/pwvrl

    • RyanC
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 15, 2013
        John, et al:

        Sad not to be able to test the Scarpa Kailash GTX boots. However, I gladly welcome the opportunity to test the La Sportiva Hyper Mid GTX Boots.

        Below is the application I submitted for the Kailash...aside from the manufacturer and model, it applies to this boot test as well.

        Thanks to La Sportiva and BGT for the consideration.

        Ryan