Revised OR - DeLorme Earthmate PN-60 - Ed Morse

  • Edwin Morse
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26, 2013
      When the call came for navigation gear I thought it would be easy to write a
      report on the PN-60 which I use several times each week. I found that I did
      not know the unit nearly as well as I thought. A GPS is a difficult and
      complicated subject. A compass would have been much easier.

      I hope I didn't leave too many blunders.
      TheHTML should be found here:

      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/Revised%20OR%2
      0-%20DeLorme%20Earthmate%20PN-60%20-%20Ed%20Morse/>
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/Revised%20OR%20
      -%20DeLorme%20Earthmate%20PN-60%20-%20Ed%20Morse/

      Or here:
      <http://tinyurl.com/c26562m> http://tinyurl.com/c26562m

      DELORME PN-60 GPS
      BY EDWIN MORSE
      OR
      March 24, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Edwin Morse
      EMAIL: ed dot morse at charter dot net
      AGE: 75
      LOCATION: Grand Traverse County, Michigan, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 8" (1.73 m)
      WEIGHT: 145 lb (65.80 kg)
      TORSO 18 in (46 cm)
      CHEST 35 in (89 cm)
      WAIST 36 in (91 cm)

      I started backpacking in 1979 with two weeks in northern Michigan along the
      Lake Superior shore. My gear was cheap, heavy and sometimes painful. My
      starting pack weight was 70 lb (32 kg) with food but no water. Since then I
      have made one- and two-week trips in Michigan, Maine, New Hampshire and
      Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Florida. Now my pack weighs between
      22 and 32 lb (10 and 15 kg). I'm slowly learning what lighter gear works.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: DeLorme
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - " <http://www.delorme.com/>
      http://www.delorme.com/">>
      MSRP: US$299.95
      Listed Weight: Without batteries: 5.35 oz (152 g)
      with Li-Ion rechargeable battery: 6.7 oz (190 g); with alkaline AA
      batteries: 7.00 oz. (198 g)
      Measured Weight: 5.4 oz (153 g) without batteries
      6.3 oz (179 g) with two AA Energizer Lithium batteries
      Device dimensions: 2.43 in W x 5.25 in H x 1.5 in D (6.17 cm W x 13.34 cm H
      x 3.81 cm D)
      Display screen dimensions: 1.35 in W x 1.69 in H (3.4 cm W x 4.3 cm H)

      Waterproof (IPX7) I don't know what the IPX7 means but I have continued to
      use the PN-60 in hard rainstorms with no problems
      3-axis electronic compass - when calibrated closely agrees with my magnetic
      compass, allowing for declination
      Sensitive barometric altimeter - which I've never used
      Power is supplied by 2 AA batteries - I've used alkaline and Lithium (not
      mixed)
      There is an Optional Travel Power Kit with DeLorme-supplied rechargeable
      Li-Ion battery
      Acquisition Times, according to DeLorme:
      " " Hot Start: 5-6 seconds
      " " Warm Start: < 45 seconds
      " " Cold Start: < 60 seconds
      I have not attempted to check this.
      DeLorme states Positional GPS accuracy as: "< 15 meters, 95% typical*" - In
      my experience accuracy depends on conditions. In an open field accuracy is
      often much better while in a swamp under thick cedar trees accuracy is
      degraded with the radio waves deflected. Large billboards or building will
      also bend or deflect the sattelite signals.
      Memory & Storage = 3.5 GB internal flash memory,
      Supports SDHC high-capacity SD-cards - up to 32 GB
      Holds up to 10 tracks (20,000 points per track), 1,500 user-defined
      waypoints, and 100 routes; endlessly expandable via GPX transfer to SD cards
      Operating temperature range for the PN-60 is -20 degrees C to +75 degrees C.
      I don't expect to operate outside this range either

      GENERAL INFORMATION

      The PN-60 is the third in the series I've purchased and used. Here is a
      picture of my PN-60.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "My Earthmate PN-60" IMAGE CAPTION =
      "PN-60">>
      There are nine buttons near the bottom and below the screen, some are direct
      commands for action and others are for moving around and within various
      pages. The buttons have different actions depending on which page is
      displayed, some of the buttons have different results depending how long
      they are held down.

      I first used the PN-20, then when the PN-40 came out I soon put in my order.
      I delayed ordering the PN-60, since the PN-40 was doing well, until I could
      not store as many tracks as I wanted. When I bought the PN-60 the DeLorme
      map program North America Topo v 9 was included in the purchase price. Two
      months later they started including version 10 instead. The Topo program is
      required to download the various maps from the DeLorme map library to my
      computer and then transfer from my computer to the PN-60. I usually download
      at least the quad maps for the area I intend to hike so the PN-60 is my most
      convenient map. By paying the $29.95 annual map library subscription I have
      access to not only the USGS 1:24K quadrangle maps but also several other
      types of maps.

      I received the PN-60 in early July 2012 just two days before a backpacking
      trip. I did not have much time to learn the operation of the PN-60. I did
      manage to download and install the quadrangle maps for the area of the trail
      I intended to hike. I soon found that in many small ways the PN-60
      operation is very different from the PN-40.

      The PN-60 GPS receiver is a feature rich device. There are eight activities
      defined on the ACTIVITIES page; Hiking, Cycling, Hunting, Driving,
      Geocaching, Boating, Fishing and Off-Roading.

      The only one of these I'm interested in is hiking. My most frequent use is
      to determine how far I hike each day. Whether I'm backpacking or day-hiking,
      which includes snowshoeing and cross country skiing, I carry the PN-60 in a
      pocket on my pack shoulder strap. I always set the trip info back to zero
      before I start each day so I will know how far I hike. I usually mark a
      waypoint at the vehicle before I leave. When backpacking I also mark a
      waypoint where I set my tent each night and another where I hang my food
      bag.

      My second, closely related, use for the PN-60 (and the PN-40 previously) is
      exploring for new trail reroutes. One goal of the North Country Trail
      Association is to get as much of the trail off roads as possible. I download
      both quad maps and aerial maps to the GPS unit. Then, with a plat book in
      hand to show local land ownership, I start hiking. My objective is to find
      the most scenic route possible for the new trail while staying on public
      land. I record the track as I hike. Later I save the track and upload to
      the Topo North America program. Then I print maps showing the tracks where I
      think the new trail should be built. Often considerable editing is required
      to eliminate less desirable tracks and just show the best for print.

      When I first turned on my new PN-60 receiver I was asked to emter my name.
      After I did this my name appears during startup each time I turn on the
      PN-60. The Home Page appears after the unit completes the start up process.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "first Home Page" IMAGE CAPTION = "Home
      Page">>
      The Arrow Keypad in the center is used to move around pages and screens.
      Scrolling to left or right two spaces will move to the second home page.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "second Home Page" IMAGE CAPTION = "Home Page
      2">>

      COMPUTER INTERFACE

      The DeLorme Topo North America map program is sold with the PN-60. It is the
      link between DeLorme map library and the PN-60. I'm using version 9 since
      that was included when I bought the PN-60. Now version 10 is included.

      I use Topo v 9 to download maps from the DeLorme map library. I also use the
      program to upload tracks and waypoints from the PN-60 to the Topo program. I
      can edit both tracks (to some extent) and waypoints. I can add other symbols
      and notes. After I have done all the editing I want I can print maps or I
      can save the map as picture or .jpg file. My printed and saved maps are
      first used as planning tools in exploring possible trail routes. I often add
      notes which my friend and I review before and during the next exploration
      hike. Later a final, cleaned up version is submitted to the Department of
      Natural Resources as an exhibit with the trail proposal.

      FIELD USE

      I've used the PN-60 on two backpacking trips, both in Michigan. I received
      the unit on July 2, 2012. Two days later I started a four-day hike near the
      village of Vanderbilt, Michigan. The weather varied from a low of 55 F (13
      C) during a severe rain and thunder storm to warm and sunny 85 F (29 C). I
      carried the PN-60 in an open top pocket on the shoulder strap of my
      backpack. I lost the poorly marked trail during the hard rain. I used the
      hard copy map and the PN-60 to get back on the trail. The PN-60 continued to
      operate even in a downpour when I had to wipe off the water to read the
      screen.

      In August I did a 12-day hike on Isle Royale. I had the 1:24000 quadrangle
      maps downloaded and transferred to the PN-60. Using the PN-60 I always knew
      how far I hiked each day. When I stopped for lunch I knew how much farther I
      had to hike to my planned camp site. I could also precisely locate my
      position using the quadrangle maps on the PN-60. While hiking on the island
      there were a few days of mostly rain when the temperature held around 60 F
      (16 C). There were a few mostly cloudy days with sudden short rain showers,
      as well as several sunny days with highs of 84 F (29 C).

      Since early November I have done at least 50 day hikes, or about three each
      week. A few hikes were in the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore.
      Several were in the Manistee National Forest. The majority were in the Pere
      Marquette State Forest, which is south and east of Traverse City, Michigan.

      Perhaps a good way to explain the use of the PN-60 is to review the the
      steps I follow on a typical hike.

      When I get to a trail head to start a hike I first turn on the GPS and put
      it on top of the vehicle while I get my pack on, by then the PN-60 will be
      ready to go.

      I open the Maps page, then I press the Page button twice to go to the Trip
      Info Page.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Trip Info" IMAGE CAPTION = "Trip Info
      Page">>
      Then I press menu and set everything back to zero. I then press Quit twice
      to go back to the Map Page and start hiking. Before starting a recent hike I
      opened a previous track file. To do this I used the Track Page to open the
      track file I wanted so I could tell where I had hiked previously.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Track Page" IMAGE CAPTION = "Track Page">>
      After opening the track file I wanted I Quit back to the Map page and
      started hiking. I followed a road around the curve then I wanted to hike
      straight east along the section line. I used the Compass Page to start on
      the correct bearing.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "I keep my bearing here" IMAGE CAPTION =
      "Compass Page">>
      Most of the time I keep the GPS set on the Map page, sometimes switching
      between color aerial maps and quadrangle maps. Here is a view of the Map
      page after a recent hike where we had been exploring for a trail relocation.
      In this view I just had the quadrangle map open.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "active track and open track" IMAGE CAPTION =
      "Map Page">>
      The red line is the opened track for a previous hike and the green line is
      the active track.
      Here is a map of another hike in the same area with the color aerial map
      displayed and uploaded to the Topo North America v 9.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "color aerial view" IMAGE CAPTION = "Aerial
      map in Topo North America">>
      There are two other pages I often use when hiking. The Waypoints page lets
      me locate nearby waypoints I've previously saved.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Waypoint List" IMAGE CAPTION = "Waypoint
      Page">>
      When I'm backpacking I refer to the Sun and Moon page so I know the time of
      sun rise and sun set.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "sunrise and sunset times" IMAGE CAPTION =
      "Sun and Moon Page">>

      OTHER OBSERVATIONS

      I had problems with the backlight at first in very overcast or shady
      conditions. I had to be in bright sunshine to read the screen. Then I
      discovered the backlighting could be adjusted much brighter in the Setting
      page so now I can read the screen in any conditions. I also found that in
      winter with bright snow I could read the screen easier in shade if I took
      off my photo gray glasses.

      I have primarily used lithium batteries which often last five or six days of
      hiking in the summer and three or four days in winter cold conditions. I
      have only used alkaline batteries when I ran out of Lithium batteries. The
      batteries are accessed by removing the cover on the back of the unit using
      the two thumb screws. Here is a picture with batteries in place.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "BACK COVER OPEN" IMAGE CAPTION = "BATTERY
      ACCESS">>
      I can display any previous day's track, in red, in addition to the active
      track which is always shown in green. I can change the color of a saved
      track on the GPS but I prefer to do all track editing on the computer using
      the Topo North America program.

      I can save much longer tracks on the PN-60 than I could with the PN-40. I
      can view a saved track on the GPS in addition to the active track. I have
      not tried to edit tracks on the GPS unit. I often edit tracks after I've
      uploaded to the Topo North America program. It can be a tedious process but
      I have cut off extraneous parts of tracks and combined two or more tracks.

      Tracks and downloaded maps can be saved to either internal memory or to the
      SD card. The SD card is installed by removing the batteries. Here is a
      picture of the SD card installed.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "SD card access" IMAGE CAPTION = "SD card">>
      I have quadrangle topographic maps for all of Isle Royale stored on a 16 GB
      SD card. I also have over 160 miles of the North Country Trail, about a mile
      (two Km) each side of the trail downloaded to the same card. I also have
      color aerial maps downloaded for most of this area. I have found I can get