IR - LuxuryLite Ultralite Cot - Kerri Larkin

  • Kerri Larkin
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 26, 2013
      Hi,

      I'm not seeing a monitor listed for this test series yet, so please forgive my not cc ing the monitor.

      Please find following my IR for the LuxuryLite Cot. The HTML can be found here. Thanks in advance for your edits.

      Kind regards,

      Kerri

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Kerri Larkin
      EMAIL: kerrilarkin AT yahoo DOT com
      AGE:
      52
      LOCATION: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
      GENDER: Female
      HEIGHT:
      5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 253 lb (113 kg)

      I've been a car-camper and bushwalker for thirty years. Mostly I do day hikes as my passion is photography, which means I walk very slowly! I've returned to walking after some years away due to injuries and I'm learning to use Ultralight gear (and my hammock!). I've traveled most of eastern Australia, walking in landscapes as diverse as tropical rainforest, snow fields, beaches and deserts. My fortieth birthday was spent trekking in Nepal which was a truly life changing experience.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer:
      Cascade Designs, Inc.
      Year of Manufacture: 2013
      Manufacturer's Website: thermarest.com
      MSRP: US$ 229.95

      LuxuryLite Ultralite Cot Specifications

      Manufacturer Specified
      Actual Measured
      Height:
      11 cm / 4.5 in
      11 cm / 4.5 in
      Packed weight:
      1240 g / 2 lb 12 oz 1309 g / 2 lb 14 oz
      Minimum Weight:
      900 g / 2lb
      957 g / 2lb 2 oz
      Capacity:
      147.5 kg / 325 lb (maximum)
      -
      Width:
      61 cm / 24 in
      60 cm / 23.5 in
      Length:
      183 cm / 72 in
      1850 cm / 73 in
      Packed Size:
      41 x 15 cm / 15 x 6 in
      41 x 13 cm / 16 x 5 in
      Materials:
      Laminated nylon cover
      (waterproof and stretch free)
      Anodized aluminum poles
      Nylon feet
      -

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      Back in my youth, I used to throw a tarp on the ground and sleep with no problem at all. Then, like most nurses, I injured my back at work. Suddenly I could no longer sleep in comfort. Since then, I've been on a constant search to find a way to get a comfortable night's sleep. I've tried self-inflating mattresses (they almost all self-deflate during the night), cots (an engineering degree needed to erect and a crane to transport), so called four-wheel drive mattresses (read huge, heavy, and cumbersome), and finally found gold in a hammock. The problem is, though, in Australia there aren't always two obliging trees and I've yet to find a solution to that problem. Enter, the LuxuryLite Ultralite Cot...

      The LuxuryLite Ultralite Cot (hereafter referred to as the Cot) promises a lot and the Cascade Designs website best explains the features:

      * BowFrame� Technology: Our patented technology eliminates the painful crossbars, squeaky joints and broken hardware found in other cots.
      * Ultra Lightweight: The lightest cot on the market � so light even backpackers carry it.
      * Super Packable: Compact design fits easily in a pannier, portage bag or backpack.
      * Durable Construction: Laminated nylon cover is waterproof and stretch-free; anodized aluminum poles and durable nylon feet stand up to heavy use.
      * Three-Minute Set Up: Assembles quickly and easily � no tools required.

      This sounds like it might just be an answer to an ageing back and poor sleep.

      My Cot arrived in a cardboard box and I was immediately surprised how light it felt, even in the box. Inside was a packing slip and a black nylon stuff sack with "Thermarest" printed on one end and a circular cardboard tag saying, "LuxuryLite Cot". Opening the stuff sack revealed a beautifully packed Cot with all the components nestled inside the nylon feet. There are a total of twelve nylon feet, one cover, two shock-corded poles to make the frame, and sixteen anodized aluminum poles which form the bows. Eight of the anodized poles are black (male poles) and eight are gold (female poles).

      The nylon cover appeared to be in perfect condition with no loose threads. I have to say, it does look flimsy to be supporting my weight, and looks as though it will be very hot to sleep on due to being waterproof nylon. There is an upside and an underside side to the cover meaning it can only be used one way. The underside is black and the upside is grey. The long edges of the cover are rolled and stitched to form a sleeve for inserting the frame poles into. There are small circular holes at appropriate lengths along the sleeve into which the bows can be inserted. The edges of the sleeves are double stitched.

      There are two shock-corded aluminum poles of 13 mm (1/2 in) diameter which form the side frames by sliding in to the sleeve on the cover. They snap together very easily and form a fairly rigid pole.

      The 16 anodized aluminum poles are, as mentioned above, colour coded to male and female. One male and one female are clicked together to form a single bow. The ends of this bow are inserted through holes in the nylon feet and click in to place with a very positive engagement and an audible 'click'. A double bow is made by adding a second bow to the same foot, i.e. two bows in one set of feet.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      After tipping the contents of the stuff sack on the floor, I found a somewhat crumpled page of instructions at the bottom of the sack. These are on a single piece of paper with English on one side and French on the other. The instructions are clear, concise, have great illustrations, and best of all, don't appear to have been badly translated from a foreign language! What more could I want?

      The instructions cover how to insert the shock-corded poles into the nylon cover, assemble the single and double bows, how to attach the bows to the frame (and where), and how to assemble both the lightweight and standard setups. Having done the procedure once, it's unlikely I will need to refer to the instructions again, however, I did initially get the assembly wrong as I was too eager to try it out without reading the instructions. More about that later...

      Should the instructions ever be needed again, they can be downloaded and printed from the Cascade Designs website. There's also a useful video showing how to assemble the Cot.

      TRYING IT OUT

      As I mentioned above, I was too eager to read the instructions fully so when I first assembled my Cot, I had located the bows in the incorrect hole. This left me quite a lot closer to the ground when I laid on the bed. After reading the correct way to do it, I reassembled the Cot without further incident. So how does it go together? As it turns out, very well is the answer. Although I can't manage it in anywhere near the claimed three minutes yet, I'm sure I will get to that target with more use and familiarity.

      First, the shock corded poles are snapped together. These are then inserted in the sleeves of the cover. This can be a little tricky as the poles want to keep poking out through the small circular holes in the cover. It also feels as though I need to be quite careful doing this threading in order not to tear the cover, which is probably a lot stronger than it seems. One of the problems with having used older equipment is equating weight and bulk with strength, yet many modern materials are far stronger without that bulk and weight. It will be interesting to see if I do have any problems with tearing the cover during use.

      One potential problem in assembling this Cot is having to lay it face down on the ground. If the ground is wet it means the side I sleep on will get wet. If the ground is rocky, I'm concerned I may puncture the nylon cover. I'll be interested to see what happens to my Cot during the test period.

      With the cover laid on the ground upside down, the next task is to attach the bow and feet to the cot. With the standard setup, four single bows and two double bows are needed. There is a hooked part on the feet which is inserted into those circular holes in the cover and is then pushed against the side frame. With one foot in place, the tricky part begins: to get the other foot to attach to the frame, the bow must be pulled up in the middle while simultaneously pushing down on the free foot. This creates, well, a bow in the pole allowing the foot to snap into the opposite frame. It takes a fair amount of pressure to get a sufficient bow. When the second foot is in place, the result puts significant lateral tension on the frame, making it quite rigid. These single bows are placed in the first and third holes from each end of the cover. The centre two holes are where the double bows are placed, to give extra support under the hips and back.

      My first problem with the Cot was in trying to attach the double bows. These require significant strength to bend sufficiently to get the foot hooks to engage in the frame poles. Due to a previous elbow injury, I don't have a lot of strength in one arm and at first I was unable to pull hard enough to bend the bow sufficiently. It took a fair bit of practice to be able to do this.

      Once assembled, the cot can easily be carried with one hand. I'm sure it would be light enough to make a great kite on a windy day! It's probably fairly easy to get on to the Cot when it's on the ground, but when on a wooden floor (or the slippery nylon tub of a tent) it can easily slide away from me. When I laid on the Cot for the first time it creaked and groaned, but certainly held my weight. Nifty! First test passed. When I had the bows incorrectly assembled I found there was only a finger-width between my hip and the floor. With the bows correctly assembled, there was at least two or three fingers between me and the floor. I'm guessing there would be even more clearance for a lighter person.

      The first thing I noticed on laying down was that this is a very narrow bed. When laying on my back, my arms flop over the sides with the frame poles digging in. I wriggled and squirmed but could not find a comfortable way to lay on my back, although I'm quite a lot wider than a 'standard' person. Fortunately, I'm a side sleeper and once I rolled on my side it was a whole different picture. There's enough room to draw my knees up a bit and it's comfortable enough to scoot over to one side of the Cot to give my arms somewhere to go. I did notice that by drawing my knees up it took the weight off of the last bow, which lifted off the floor a little then banged against the floor when I moved.

      Okay, so finally I'm at the important bit: how comfortable is the Cot? I'm pleased to say that from my minimal experience so far (a fifteen minute nap) it's very comfortable. In many ways it feels similar to my hammock in that the material conforms to my body shape and thereby practically removes pressure spots from my body. Once I found the 'sweet spot', I felt no pressure on my hips or shoulders, and my back felt quite supported. I did notice I need a higher than normal pillow to get my neck comfortable though. It will certainly be interesting to try this Cot for my first full night.

      Although the marketing says this Cot eliminates creaking bed frames I still found it to be quite noisy when moving on the bed. With the bows correctly positioned, the Cot is taught enough to act like a drum and I also found a bit of creaking around the frame. I', guessing a lot of this would be eliminated if sleeping on ground, but it's quite noisy on a wooden floor.

      I'll also be interested to see if my weight causes the feet to start burying themselves in the ground when I lay on the Cot. Potentially, this could see me in contact with the ground rather than hovering above it.

      Although the nylon cover was initially quite hot and sweaty against my skin (it was very humid when I did my initial test), I found the parts of my body in contact with the cover began to become chilly after a while. It may be that insulation, like a sleeping pad, is required for comfort in colder weather. Fortunately, it's already autumn here so I'll be able to assess this during the test period. I noticed on the website that Cascade Designs also do a breathable mesh cover for the Cot, which is designed for warm weather use.

      SUMMARY

      The LuxuryLite Ultralite Cot is a fascinating idea: allowing campers to be up off the floor in a comfortable non-self-deflating bed. It's certainly light enough and small enough to pack in place of a self-inflating mattress, and, from my first test, appears to be more comfortable.

      Likes:

      * Comfortable (although only tested for 15 mins so far)
      * weather proof
      * fairly easy to assemble
      * packs quite small
      * a novel approach to an age old problem

      Concerns:

      * Durability of the cover
      * temperature management in hot or cold weather
      * whether the feet will dig in to soft ground
      * Strength required to attach the bows

      That concludes my Initial Report on the LuxuryLite Ultralite Cot.I'd like to thank both Cascade Designs, Inc and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this item. Please check back in around two months for my Field Report.

    • Mike Mosack
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3, 2013
        Hi Kerri - I am the mystery monitor for this test series. I see that my name
        was left off the Admin site for this item. If you save my email address
        you'll have it for the subsequent reports.

        Here are your edits in the usual format
        EDIT - must change
        edit - my recommended change if you agree
        comment - just that

        EDIT - There was no link to your report in your post. Surely this was just
        an oversight. (For the newer testers, this just helps everyone easily locate
        the reports.)

        "Minimum Weight: 900 g / 2lb 957 g / 2lb 2 oz"
        EDIT - need a space (2 lb) and this happens multiple times in your report.

        "Capacity: 147.5 kg / 325 lb (maximum) - "
        EDIT - not sure what the "hyphen" means here, but if the mfg didn't list
        this or you weren't able to verify this, you should state "Not Available" or
        something for clarity. This should be the same for the hyphen under
        "Materials" as well...

        "There is an upside and an underside side to the cover meaning it can only
        be used one way."
        EDIT - Remove the extra "side" after "underside"

        From your image footer - "Upside down, this clearly shows the single bows
        with the double bows 3rd and 4th form the bottom"
        EDIT - Replace "form" with "from"

        "I', guessing a lot of this would be eliminated if sleeping on ground, but
        it's quite noisy on a wooden floor."
        EDIT - "I'm"

        comment/edit - we generally do not refer to or describe the packaging of the
        items we receive or the packing slip. I'd consider removing that small
        portion.

        "I noticed on the website that Cascade Designs also do a breathable mesh
        cover for the Cot, which is designed for warm weather use."
        edit - I would replace "do" with "sells" or "manufacturers a breathable
        mesh..." as a couple of examples

        "That concludes my Initial Report on the LuxuryLite Ultralite Cot.I'd like
        to thank..."
        EDIT - Need a space at the start of the new sentence after the period.

        That's it so feel free to upload when you're ready and please remember to
        delete the test file copy.
        See you an a couple of months and I hope you sleep well!
        Mike
        mosack at earthlink dot net
      • Mike Mosack
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3, 2013
          Hi Steve,

          I am the mystery (or “mysery” if you prefer) monitor for this test series. I see that my name
          was left off the Admin site for this item. If you save my email address
          you'll have it for the subsequent reports.

          Here are your edits in the usual format
          EDIT - must change
          edit - my recommended change if you agree
          comment - just that

          comment – Good HTML and photos. Overall, a good report. There are a few edits however, so here they are...

          “The package was actually comparable in size to a self inflating sleep pad I used from the same manufacturer around a decade and a half ago.”

          edit – self-inflating (with a hyphen)

          “Upon further inspection of the cot, it includes the nylon bed sheet, which quite thin and certainly only has minimal to no R insulating value.”

          EDIT – “which (is) quite thin…”

          “There are two shock corded aluminum poles that insert into sleeves along the outer edged of the bed sheet.”

          Edit – shock-corded (with a hyphen)

          EDIT – edge, not edged…

          “The cot is provided with 12 nylon feet and 16 aluminum poles (8 male & 8 female) that create the bow frames.”

          Edit – I would replace “is provided with” with (includes) “The cot includes 12 nylon…”

          “The sewn channels in which the shock corded poles are inserted have 8 oval shaped insert holes along each side to insert the nylon feet.”

          Edit – shock-corded (with a hyphen)

          “In the six bow configuration the, second slot from each end of the cot is unused and in the four bow configuration the first and third slot on either end is not used.”

          EDIT – remove the comma after “the”

          “Notice varying setup configurations images below.”

          EDIT – “configuration” does not need to be pluralized since “images” is already

          “In my final test I was able to accomplish it in 3 minutes 18 seconds.”

          Comment – I think that since this is only the IR and not the LTR, referring to this as the final test, might be premature. I am kind of hoping that at some point in the LTR, you have become proficient at the set up where you could report on your average time to set this up. Maybe just call this your third set up attempt or something similar.

          “The standard setup was quite comfortable in my opinion, but the lightweight appeared to sag somewhat in both the center and the bed sheet appeared to sag at both the head and the foot.”

          EDIT – in both the center? This just reads odd to me. Did you mean, “The standard setup was quite comfortable in my opinion, but the lightweight appeared to sag somewhat in the center and the bed sheet appeared to sag at both the head and the foot.” (I removed the word “both”)

          “I decided to put a self inflating pad on the cot for a comfort test.”

          Edit – self-inflating (with a hyphen)

          “I'm not what caused the chip, but it immediately concerned me as the advertising mentions strength and durability under "heavy use".”

          EDIT – I’m not (sure) what caused…

          Comment – with regard to this issue, a heading of “CONTACT CUSTOMER SERVICE” would be appropriate for the full buyer experience and a description of your experiences with them (good and bad) I like it that you described how and what happened as it could be a potential problem across the entire product line being a weak material or design. Photos of the chip (damage) would also be a good touch for the rest of us so we could see exactly what you’re dealing with.

          That's it so feel free to upload when you're ready and please remember to
          delete the test file copy.
          See you an a couple of months and I hope you sleep well!
          Mike
          mosack at earthlink dot net

        • Kathy Waters
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 4, 2013
            OK, for the life of me, I can’t find the original posting of this IR! Can you provide me with a date, please? Thanks!

            Kathy

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 4, 2013
              Here you go Kathy,
              I too had to look for it as it never arrived in my email notifications
              75390 IR--THERM-A-REST LUXURYLITE ULTRALITE COT -- STEVE KIDD ftroop94 Mar 21, 2013
              11:22 pm

              Mike

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 5, 2013
                Thanks for all the edits Mike! I was in a hurry to get it done before leaving town, so thanks for catching my errors!