IR - Kindle Cook - Andrea Murland

  • ringrat55
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 24, 2013
      Dear Mystery Monitor,

      Here's my IR for the Kindle Cook Box & Cafe.
      Andrea

      HTML: http://tinyurl.com/bnxd4qa

      Text:

      Kindle Cook Box & Café
      Initial Report – March 24, 2013

      Tester Information:
      Name: Andrea Murland
      Email: amurland AT shaw DOT ca
      Age: 27
      Location: Kimberley & Elkford, British Columbia, Canada
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 2 in (1.57 m)
      Weight: 125 lb (57 kg)

      I began hiking frequently in 2006 and have since hiked in Western Canada, Australia, and spent 2 months backpacking in the Alps. I spend most weekends either day-hiking or on 2-3 day backpacking trips, with some longer trips when I can manage them. I also snowshoe and ski in the winter, but don't have a lot of experience with winter in the backcountry yet. Elevation is typically 500-3,000 m (1,600-10,000 ft), in the Canadian Rockies and the Selkirk, Purcell, and Monashee ranges. I try for a light pack, but I don't consider myself a lightweight backpacker.

      Product Information:
      Manufacturer: Amundson Outdoor Products Ltd.
      Manufacturer's URL: http://www.kindlecook.ca
      Year of Manufacture: 2013

      Model: Kindle Cook Box and MAXPACK
      MSRP: Not available
      Listed Weight: Kindle Cook Box – None, MAXPACK – 60 g (2.1 oz)
      Measured Weight: Kindle Cook Box - 365 g (12.9 oz), MAXPACK – 66 g (2.3 oz)
      Listed Capacity: 850 mL (28.7 fl oz)
      Measured Capacity: 750 mL (25.4 fl oz)
      Measured Dimensions (approximate): Kindle Cook Box - 67 cm 18.5 cm (7.3 in) x 13.2 cm (5.2 in) x 8.5 cm (3.3 in), MAXPACK – 19 cm (7.5 in) x 11 cm (4.3 in)

      Model: Kindle Café and POWERPACK
      MSRP: Not available
      Listed Weight: Kindle Café – None, POWERPACK – 25 g (0.9 oz)
      Measured Weight: Kindle Café - 199 g (7.0 oz), POWERPACK – 27 g (1.0 oz)
      Listed Capacity: 320 mL (10.8 fl oz)
      Measured Capacity: 300 mL (10.1 fl oz)
      Measured Dimensions (approximate): Kindle Café – 9 cm (3.5 in) diameter x 18.5 cm (7.3 in) high, POWERPACK – 11.7 cm (4.6 in) x 11 cm (4.3 in)

      Description & Initial Impressions:

      The Kindle Cook Box and Kindle Café are a cooking system using disposable heatpacks as a heat source.

      The Kindle Cook Box consists of a stainless steel tumbler which fits inside of a black polypropylene container. The two containers are held together with a plastic lid with a seal and four locking tabs. There is a neoprene cover which fits onto the black container to insulate it. The lid, plastic container, and neoprene cover all have the Kindle Cook logo on them. The Kindle Cook uses a MAXPACK heat pack, which is removed from its packaging and placed in the bottom of the plastic container. Approximately 150 mL (5.1 fl oz) of water is added to the container and then the stainless steel tumbler is placed on top of the heatpack in the container. The food or water to be heated is put into the stainless tumbler and then the locking lid is put on to seal the whole works.

      The Kindle Café works on the same concept as the Cook Box, but uses a smaller heatpack (a POWERPACK), and the lid of the Café has a drinking spout with a sealing cover.

      The heatpacks are packaged inside two layers of packaging. The outer layer of packaging identifies the product and has clear instructions for use with the Kindle Cook Box or Café. It also offers some warnings to the user, such as not opening the bare heatpack (seek medical attention if that happens), not touching the heatpack with wet hands or throwing it in a fire, and some warnings that the unit and heatpack will get hot. The packaging is in English on one side and French on the reverse. The inner packaging is clear plastic.

      The website indicates that using snow is possible by melting a small amount onto the heatpack and then adding more snow on top as it heats up. I look forward to trying this out! The website also says that used heatpacks are environmentally friendly and can be disposed of in the garbage, but there is no information on what they're actually made from.

      Trying It Out:

      The first thing that I tried was how everything packs together. The MAXPACK heatpacks fit inside the Kindle Cook Box, but the POWERPACK heatpacks don't fit in the Café with all of the outer packaging on. I'll have to pack the heatpacks for the Café separately from the unit.

      The second thing I tried was testing the seals on the containers. The Cook Box didn't leak with water in only the stainless steel tumbler, but when there was water in the plastic container as well I had a steady stream of water run out of the container when turned upside down. The Café showed the same trend, though it was only a small drip of water. I did notice that it was more difficult to get the stainless tumbler out of the Café than the Cook Box; it's a tighter fit. The lids seem to have a good seal as long as there's no water in the plastic container, which there will be during cooking. I'll have to try this some more during actual cooking, but so far it seems like the units will need to stay upright during cooking.

      The Kindle Cook Box and Café look like a system that could work very well on overnight hikes or as a component of my Search & Rescue Pack. I am excited to see how it works in the field, especially in cold weather and with snow.

      Thanks to Amundson Outdoor Products Ltd. and BackpackGearTest.org for the chance to test the Kindle Cook Box and Café! Check back in approximately 2 months (May 2013) for my Field Report to see how it's worked for me in the field.
    • Nancy Griffith
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 25, 2013
        Hi Andrea,

        Mystery solved...I'm your Monitor.  That works out great since I'm really interested in how this system works for you.

        Here are your edits in the usual format.  Please upload when ready.

        Thanks for a nice report.  See you in a few months.

        Nancy

        >>Measured Dimensions (approximate): Kindle Cook Box - 67 cm 18.5 cm (7.3 in) x 13.2 cm (5.2 in) x 8.5 cm (3.3 in)
        EDIT: Does '67 cm' belong here?
        >>The Kindle Cook Box and Kindle Café are a cooking system using disposable heatpacks as a heat source.
        Edit: heatpack should be heat pack.  These one-word vs. two-word terms are confusing to me, but the website calls them 'heat packs'.  There are multiple uses of this throughout the report.

        >>The Kindle Cook Box consists of a stainless steel tumbler which fits inside of a black polypropylene container.
        >>Approximately 150 mL (5.1 fl oz) of water is added to the container and then the stainless steel tumbler is placed on top of the heatpack in the container. The food or water to be heated is put into the stainless tumbler and then the locking lid is put on to seal the whole works.
        Edit: 'tumbler' refers to a drinking container but doesn't seem to apply to the Cook Box...maybe bowl, tray or dish?

        >>The MAXPACK heatpacks fit inside the Kindle Cook Box, but the POWERPACK heatpacks don't fit in the Café with all of the outer packaging on. I'll have to pack the heatpacks for the Café separately from the unit.
        Comment: It may be interesting in the FR to say how many packs you can fit in the Cook Box.  Do you mean just one?
        .

      • ringrat55
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 27, 2013
          Thanks Nancy.
          Strange, I see heatpack as one word on the website - I had it as 2 words originally and then changed them all! I've changed them all back now...and my spellchecker is much happier with me.

          Do we have a folder yet? Something tells me we don't, but I could also be going crazy.

          Thanks, and see ya in 2 months,
          Andrea

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Griffith <bkpkrgirl@...> wrote:

          > Hi Andrea,
          >
          > Mystery solved...I'm your Monitor.  That works out great since I'm really interested in how this system works for you.
          >
          > Here are your edits in the usual format.  Please upload when ready.
          >
          > Thanks for a nice report.  See you in a few months.
          >
          > Nancy
          >
          > >>Measured Dimensions (approximate): Kindle Cook Box - 67 cm 18.5 cm (7.3 in) x 13.2 cm (5.2 in) x 8.5 cm (3.3 in)
          > EDIT: Does '67 cm' belong here?
          > >>The Kindle Cook Box and Kindle Café are a cooking system using disposable heatpacks as a heat source.
          > Edit: heatpack should be heat pack.  These one-word vs. two-word terms are confusing to me, but the website calls them 'heat packs'.  There are multiple uses of this throughout the report.
          >
          > >>The Kindle Cook Box consists of a stainless steel tumbler which fits inside of a black polypropylene container.
          > >>Approximately 150 mL (5.1 fl oz) of water is added to the container and then the stainless steel tumbler is placed on top of the heatpack in the container. The food or water to be heated is put into the stainless tumbler and then the locking lid is put on to seal the whole works.
          > Edit: 'tumbler' refers to a drinking container but doesn't seem to apply to the Cook Box...maybe bowl, tray or dish?
          >
          > >>The MAXPACK heatpacks fit inside the Kindle Cook Box, but the POWERPACK heatpacks don't fit in the Café with all of the outer packaging on. I'll have to pack the heatpacks for the Café separately from the unit.
          > Comment: It may be interesting in the FR to say how many packs you can fit in the Cook Box.  Do you mean just one?
          > .

        • Nancy Griffith
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 27, 2013
            Oh crazy.  I looked again and see that they aren't consistent (the very first use for the Kindle Cook says heat pack) but later they use heatpack multiple times.  Ok, whatever.  Sorry about that!

            I don't see a folder yet so keep your eyes out.  I'll ping you if I see it.

            Nancy