FR - ISIS Slipstream Jacket - Gail

  • woodswoman
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 23, 2013
      Derek,
      Here is my FR for the ISIS Slipstream Jacket. Thanks in advance for the edits.

      HTML:

      http://tinyurl.com/c6afs9n

      Field Report:
      March 23, 2013

            USA Locations and Conditions

      During the field test period I have worn the ISIS Slipstream Jacket
      for four backcountry trips totaling ten days as well as for daily
      wear.   Location of all activities were in the states of Michigan and
      Wisconsin and ranged from hilly deciduous forest to open non-deciduous
      communities. Elevation ranged from 600 ft (183 m) to almost 2000 ft
      (610 m).

             Location (Feb 4-
      5): Hiawatha National Forest, Michigan

      Type of Trip:
      Trail/rustic cabin trip

      Distance:
      7 mi (11.3 km)

      Length of Trip:
      2 days/1 night

      Sled Weight:
      Approx 40 lb (18 kg)

      Sky and Air
      Conditions: Snow

      Precipitation: 0.22
      in (56 cm)

      Temperature
      Range: 13 F to - 4 F
      (-11 C to -20 C)

      Location (Feb
      9-11): Hiawatha National Forest, Michigan

      Type of Trip:
      Trail/rustic cabin trip

      Distance:
      11 mi (17.7 km)

      Length of Trip:
      3 days/2 nights

      Sled Weight:
      Approx 45 lb (20.4 kg)

      Sky and Air
      Conditions: Cloudy, snow

      Precipitation:
      0.70 in (1.78 cm) Snow

      Temperature
      Range: 34 F to -3 F (1 C to -19 C)

      Location (March
      2- 4): Hiawatha National Forest Western Unit, Michigan

      Type of Trip:
      Trail

      Distance:
      20.5 mi (33 km)

      Length of Trip:
      3 days/2 nights

      Sled Weight:
      Approx 40 lb (18 kg)

      Sky and Air
      Conditions: Cloudy, snowstorms

      Precipitation:
      0.01 in (0.03 cm) Snow

      Temperature
      Range: 24 F to 7 F (-4 C to -14 C)

      Location (March
      18-19): Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Michigan

      Type of Trip:
      Trail/Bushwhack

      Distance:
      10.5 mi (16.9 km)

      Length of Trip:
      2 days/1 night

      Sled Weight:
      Approx 40 lb (18 kg)

      Sky and Air
      Conditions: Cloudy, snowstorms

      Precipitation:
      0.58 in (1.47 cm) which is more than 11 in (28 cm) of new snow

      Temperature
      Range: 34 F to 9 F (1 C to -13 C )

      Location of Other Activities: Upper Peninsula of Michigan
      and Wisconsin

      Distances:
      4 mi to 6 mi (6.5 km to 9.6 km)

      Temperature
      Range: 38 F to 15 F (3 C to -9 C)

          During the field test
            period the ISIS Slipstream Jacket has been worn in some capacity almost every day. For example, most days this winter
      have involved hand shoveling my driveway and deck. Nearly 15 ft (4.57
      m) of snow has fallen so far this season so I've been out there often.
      The jacket has provided great protection from the strong winds and
      cold. As this can be a strenuous activity depending on the depth and
      moisture content of the snow, I have had to unzip it half way a few
      times to finish my task in comfort.

      I also cross country ski, backcountry ski or snowshoe every day. The
      jacket is worn to and from locations but stowed in my daypack during
      those activities as they are highly aerobic and wearing the jacket is
      too much. As soon as I finish my sport I change out of moisture-laden
      clothing and put back on the Slipstream to keep me warm on my return
      home.

      The jacket has also been worn on four backcountry trips that involved
      pulling a sledge. I have worn the jacket all hours around camp for
      warmth. It was also worn during breaks while snowshoeing and pulling
      the sledge. I slipped the jacket off when I went into my sleeping bag
      for the night but used it for my pillow during sleep.

      While I was visiting my small grand-daughter in Wisconsin I added
      another activity while wearing the jacket. We spent several hours
      sledding. I  stayed plenty warm and was glad that the snow didn't get
      inside the jacket while flying down the hills.

      More Thoughts

      Although the jacket has a tailored fit I have been able to wear it very
      comfortably over two light layers of wool plus a vest and I have even
      worn it over a down sweater without an issue. I have also worn it both
      under an anorak and under a larger-sized down sweater with the reason
      being that the other garment was larger and I didn't want to compress
      the down fill (see picture).

      There are two features that really shine for me. One is the
      velvet-lined collar. I can't describe enough how comfortable this truly
      is. Many other collars on jacket have inner collars made out of a nylon
      material which are cold to the touch plus they are not breathable like
      a velvet material.

      The second feature of this jacket that I love is the length which
      adequately covers my back end and prevents me from having to pull at
      the back of the jacket when I bend over. Again many other light down
      jackets do not have the length like the Slipstream. When one of my
      close friends first saw the ISIS Slipstream that I am testing she
      immediately went home and ordered one. The length was the deciding
      factor for her as she is even taller than I am.

      The grippers on the pocket zippers have worked well while wearing
      mittens or gloves. I often stash a phone and keys in the pockets. While
      the inside pocket has a portal for a wired device, I find it
      unnecessary as I don't like to be plugged in! However the mesh pocket
      is handy for other misc items when needed. I have also used this pocket
      for my keys and a spare lightweight hat.

      The jacket has been constantly exposed to all forms of snow. There has
      even been some light freezing rain and sleet. I have not worried about
      exposing it to wetness as it has done relatively well in shedding snow.
      There has been occasional areas where the jacket surface appeared to be
      wet but it quickly dried without any effect to the insulating qualities.

      The ISIS Slipstream Jacket is both stylish and functional; a very great
      combination in my books. The color that I am testing is a bit bright
      but I have received many compliments. I guess I don't have to worry
      about not being found while wearing the jacket!

      My only nitpick is that I wish the jacket had a hood. I know this is a
      personal choice but I feel that a hood makes a jacket much more
      versatile. I have compensated for the jacket not having a hood by
      wearing a wool neck gaiter and wool hat.

      Care and Durability

      I have spilled food on the jacket a few times but have been able to
      wipe it off with a damp cloth. Looking over the jacket closely it is
      probably due for a washing soon. I have one pulled thread on the front
      of the jacket which hasn't broke as I caught it against a rough
      surface. I did clip the hanging loop that was mentioned in the initial
      report as I determined that it was just an extra loop of thread and
      wouldn't harm the durability of the stitching beneath it. There are
      little pokes of down here and there sticking out but I haven't noticed
      much loss of down. The jacket zippers are all functioning well and have
      never got stuck.

                  Pros So Far

      Very feminine designWarmLonger length covers
                assetsComfortableVelvet inside collar
                feels great on my neck

            Cons So Far

      Personal preference would be to add a hood to the jacket (ISIS does make a hoody coat version which is considerably longer)

            Tester Remarks

            Thanks to ISIS and BackpackGearTest
            for this opportunity to test the Slipstream Jacket.This concludes
            my Field Report. The Long Term Report will be appended to this
            report in approximately two months. Please check back then for
            more information.

            Top of Page

    • Derek Hansen
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 23, 2013
        Thanks for subitting your report! Here are my edits in typical BGT fashion. Feel free to do the necessary clean-up once your edits are complete.

        Best,

        ~derek

        # # #

        > activities as they are highly aerobic and wearing the jacket is
        > too much.
        Edit/Comment: Not really anything wrong here, but I thought you might clarify what is "too much" -- the weight? Too bulky? Too warm? I think you allude to it, but you could connect the dots.

        > Many other collars on jacket have inner
        EDIT: collars on jackets

        > material which are cold to the
        Edit: "material, which" -OR- "material that"
        I think I'd vote for "that" as it is restrictive.

        > the length which adequately covers
        Comment: I'm just being lazy tonight, but typically "which" requires a comma preceding, otherwise the better word choice is "that." Which vs. That is probably me just being persnickety, which is why I'm leaving it as a comment.

        > a very great combination in my books.
        Comment: This is the first time I've read this phrase in the plural. I've only got one book, and I'm still filling it up. I'd be interested to see how many volumes you have ;) :D

        > The color that I am testing is a bit bright but I have received many compliments.
        Edit/Comment: "...a bit bright, but..." ... "...I have received many compliments on it/the color/on its brilliance." ?