APPLICATION: Helly Hansen Odin Traverse pant - Mike Curry

  • the_fish_guy
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 23, 2013
      Richard,

      Please accept my application for the HH Odin Traverse pant. I have read the BGT Survival Guide, v. 0609, Chap. 4, ,5 and 6 (and all others) and agree to follow all requirements found therein. My signed tester agreement is on file. If selected, I will provide the best test which I am capable of.

      If selected, I'll wear a size L.

      PERSONAL BIO

      Name: Mike Curry
      Email: thefishguy@...
      Age: 42
      Location: Aberdeen, Washington
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5'11" (1.80 M)
      Weight: 190 lb (86 kg)

      I've been backpacking, climbing, ski-packing, bushwhacking, and snowshoeing throughout the mountains of Oregon and Washington for almost 30 years. I'm an all-season, all terrain, off-trail kind of guy, and enjoy backpacking, rock climbing, and mountaineering primarily in the Olympic and Cascade Mountains of Washington State.

      TEST PLAN

      My testing will occur in the Cascade and Olympic Mountains of Washington State, and possibly along the Wilderness Coast strip of Olympic National Park. Most of my trips will have mountaineering objectives, but will involve multi-day backpacking approaches, but testing will also include day hikes and backpacking. I'm out almost every weekend.

      The pants will see use in rain, snow, and wind, including camping along the west coast of the Olympic Peninsula of Washington State . . . the wettest location in the lower 48 states. Temperatures will range from as low as probably 10 F (-12 C) to over 70 F (21 C) at elevations from sea level to 14,000+ ft (4,267 M), with significant wind exposure likely.

      My reports will focus on performance, features, ease of use, and comfort.

      LINK TO PREVIOUS TEST REPORTS

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/thefishguy

      NUMBER OF OR'S IN PAST 12 MONTHS – 0

      CURRENT LOAD AND TEST STATUS PAGE

      My current load is 0, and I can't link to my test status page because my last test finished several months ago (I took late fall/winter off), but I'm -1 across the board.

      OTHER APPLICATIONS

      None

      ADDITIONAL ROLES/LABORS OF LOVE

      Monitor, Manager, Moderator/Director
    • Ray
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 23, 2013
        That was not the question. They are winter pants. Nice winter pants. But pretty uncomfortable in warm weather. If winter ends does the test end, the way that a snowshoe test ends when the snow goes away?

        Ray

        > This is a normal, 4 month test, not a "consumables" test.
        >

        > Kathleen (Kathy) Waters
        >
        > Senior Director BackpackGearTest.org
        >
        > <http://www.backpackgeartest.org> www.backpackgeartest.org

      • Kathy Waters
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 23, 2013
          Sorry, I wasn't clear. It's a normal test. Testers will wear the pants and
          test them following the usual minimum testing requirements. Should the
          tester decide the pants are too warm to wear during the test, they will
          report on the conditions they found to be uncomfortable. That is what
          testing is about, wearing/using clothing or equipment in varying conditions
          and reporting on the performance of the item in those conditions. Helly
          Hansen does not market the pants as "winter" specific pants.

          Kathy

          <mailto:backpackgeartesters%40yahoogroups.com> , "Kathy Waters" <kathy@...>
          wrote:

          > This is a normal, 4 month test, not a "consumables" test.
          >

          > Kathleen (Kathy) Waters
          >
          > Senior Director BackpackGearTest.org
          >
          > <http://www.backpackgeartest.org> www.backpackgeartest.org
          >

          > From: backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com
          <mailto:backpackgeartesters%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Subject: [backpackgeartesters] Re: TEST CALL - New trousers for spring!
          >

          > The Odin Traverse looks like an awesome winter pant. It is still winter
          here
          > (1 F this morning and more snow tonight they are saying) but no telling
          how
          > long it will last.
          >
          > Will this test be like snowshoes in as much as when conditions don't
          warrant
          > their use the test can conclude?
          >
          > Ray

        • Ray
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 23, 2013
            OK, thanks Kathy.

            Ray
          • richardglyon@att.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 26, 2013
              As I'm going to be semi-OOP most of this week, I am extending this call through Sunday March 31, midnight PDT (GMT -7). So far I have applications from Mike Curry, Derek Hansen, Brett Haydin, Frances Penn, and Lori Pontious. If I missed you please let me know - as with the application, by posting here and by sending me a copy of your application at montana DOT angler AT gmail DOT com

              Cheers, Richard

              And a new manufacturer as well! Helly Hansen has two sets of outdoor pants for
              some lucky BackpackpackGearTest.org testers to take into the wild.

              First is the ODIN TRAVERSE
              [http://shop.hellyhansen.com/us/item/w-odin-traverse-pant-60915/ for Women,
              http://shop.hellyhansen.com/us/item/odin-traverse-pant-60910/ for Men

              And then there's the ODIN GUIDE LIGHT for Men:
              http://shop.hellyhansen.com/us/item/odin-guide-light-pant-60911/?t_type=src&t_ty\
              pe=cat and HYBRID for Women:
              http://shop.hellyhansen.com/us/item/w-hybrid-pant-60917/

              Details: Each is a three-report test. Newbie limit does NOT apply. US testers
              ONLY [no cross-shipping]. US shipping included. Richard is the Test Director.
              Test call closes midnight PST on Thursday, March 28.

              You may apply for one or both; if you apply for both please state your
              preference.

              Rules for your BRIEF application:

              Subject line: "Application – Helly Hansen <product or products> - <your name>"
              BE SURE to send a copy of your application directly to me at Montana.angler AT
              gmail DOT com as well as posting to the list.

              Include:

              1. Opening disclaimer for testing
              2. Brief personal bio
              3. Brief test plan, including backpacking venues, and anticipated weather.
              4. Link to your previous tests/ORs (summary page) AND number of ORs in the last
              12 months not including your qualifying ORs
              5. Your current test load, AND a link to your test status page
              6. Any other pending applications (If before this call closes you apply for
              anything subsequently to your Helly Hansen app, please send me an email noting
              the new app.)
              7. Any additional BGT roles (mentor, monitor, editor, etc.)

              PLEASE keep it short and sweet.

              Happy applicating, Richard
            • richardglyon@att.net
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 31, 2013
                This call will close tonight at midnight PDT. Subsequently to the extension posting I received applications from Andrei Girenkov and Gail Staisil. If I missed your application, please let me know ASAP by posting here AND SENDING ME A COPY BY EMAIL TO montana DOT angler AT gmail DOT com

                Thanks, Richard