IR: GSI Pack Kitchen 8 - Gail

  • woodswoman
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2013
      Dear Mystery Monitor. I have my IR ready for editing:

      Outdoors Pack Kitchen 8
      Test Series by: Gail Staisil, Marquette, Michigan

      Page Contents:

      Report - March 22, 2013

      Initial Report

      March 22, 2013

      Name: Gail Staisil
      Age: 60
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      Weight: 152 lb (69 kg)
      Boot Size: Women's 11 US/42 EU
      Location: Marquette, Michigan USA
      Email: woodswoman 2001 AT yahoo DOT com

      For the last 20
      years, backpacking has become a passion. I am a four-season backpacker
      and an off-trail navigator. Although I do take yearly trips to the
      American West or Southwest, the majority of my trips are in Michigan
      and Canada. My pack weight varies considerably but my base weight is
      below 18 lb (8 kg). I am primarily a tarp camper who averages more than
      50 nights a year backpacking in a huge variety of weather conditions
      including relentless rain, wet snow and sub-zero temps.

      GSI Outdoors

      Website http://www.gsioutdoors.com

      Model Pack
      Kitchen 8

      Manufacturer  Weight   3.7 oz (105 g)

      Tested Weight   3.7 oz (105 g)

      Model Year 2013

      MSRP $16.95

      Initial Impressions and
      Product Description

      The GSI
      Outdoors Pack Kitchen 8 arrived in a mesh bag attached to a plastic
      folded card which illustrated the contents.

      Kitchen 8 Design and Features

      The Pack Kitchen
      8 is an accessory kit that can be used to supplement basic outdoor
      cooking. The manufacturer suggests it for ultralight backpacking and
      gourmet backpacking. An approximately 7.5 in (19 cm) by 5 in (13 cm)
      black mesh fabric bag holds seven other items. While
      two of the items are for clean-up purposes (camp towel and scrubby
      sponge) the others include two utensils, a spicer and two soft-sided
      Also included were two extra caps for the bottles.

      I was pleasantly surprised to see the size of the cooking utensils. The
      spatula is uniquely sized to be very usable but also very packable. It measures approximately 7 in (18 cm) long and 2 in (5 cm) wide on the widest area of the spatula.The handle features non-slip silicone grips as well as a
      hook for hanging. The back side of the handle is notched and has a
      non-slip feature that is handy for propping the utensil in a bowl
      without it slipping inside. Also to add some interest there is
      engraved graphics of three pine trees on the spatula.

      The other
      utensil is a pack spoon that has a larger bowl end than most camp
      spoons. It measures about 7.5 in (19 cm) long and the spoon holds a
      full tablespoon of food/liquid. Again it has the same non-slip grip on
      both sides of the handle
      plus the hanging hook and there are a few pine trees on it as
      well.  A very nice touch indeed.

      two cleaning items in the kit are a 3 in (8 cm) square of scrubby for
      removing crusty surfaces and a small microfiber towel in the color of
      orange that measures about 12 in by 8 in (30 cm by 20 cm). No doubt my
      cookware will look better in the field than it ever has before as I
      usually just use snow or sand plus air dry.

      The spicer is a clear waterproof container divided into two sections so
      that two different spices such as salt and pepper could be carried. It
      has a standard inner lid with holes on one side and closed on the other
      side. It is easily rotated to open the side that is needed. There is an
      optional inner lid that can be used instead that has one side totally
      open. The bottom of the spicer unit has a removable base (orange color)
      that could be used to mix spices or whatever.

      Finally there are two condiment bottles that are small and resemble
      miniature water flasks (flat soft sides). They each have a lid with an
      attached hanging cord to certainly help prevent loss. Two additional
      caps with flip-up lids are included. The bottles have non-see-thru
      sides but do have a place to write the name of the contents and date. I
      have mixed feelings already about these bottles as the cleanability of
      them is in question so I will definitely keep track of how "re-usable"
      these are.

      I must admit
      that I am rather a minimalist when it comes to carrying any extra
      kitchen items. I usually get by with just one small spoon for
      cooking/eating and occasionally a tiny Nalgene for olive oil or
      similar. I really thought it would be fun to have more options during
      some of my trips especially those meals that involve more than boiling
      water. I've already been out with the utensil set on a winter camping
      While I will keep my written thoughts for the long term report I can
      say that some of these items were very helpful and made cooking
      yummy meals in blizzard
      conditions a lot more fun.

      Pros so far:

          * Size of kit makes it very packable
          * Love the size/function of the spatula
          * Easy way to carry spices
      Cons so far:

          * Concern with the cleanability of condiment containers

      Tester Remarks

      to GSI Outdoors and BackpackGearTest for this opportunity to test the Pack Kitchen 8.This concludes my
      Initial Report. The Long Term Report
      be available in about three months.

      of Page