Applicatio n – Helly Hansen Tra verse or O din Guide Light Pant s – Brett Haydin

  • Brett Haydin
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 21, 2013
      Richard,

      1) Please accept my application to test the Helly Hansen
      Traverse or Odin Guide Light Pant. I have read the BGT By-Laws (v.0609)
      including Chapters 4 and 5 and will comply with all of the reporting terms and
      requirements. My signed tester agreement is on file. I will have no difficulty
      meeting the minimum expected use requirements.

      ------

      2) Bio

      Name: Brett Haydin

      Age: 40

      Gender: Male

      Height: 5' 11" (1.80 m)

      Weight: 195 lb (88.50 kg)

      Waist: 36 in (91 cm)Email: bhaydin AT hotmail DOT com

      Location: Denver, Colorado USA

      Backpacking Background: I started backpacking in Wisconsin
      as a youth, being involved in the Boy Scouts programs. As a young adult, I
      worked at a summer camp leading backpacking, canoeing and mountain biking
      trips. I now generally take short weekend or day trips in rough, mountainous
      terrain, although I have extensive experience in the upper Midwest as well. I
      take one or two longer trips each year, where I typically carry about 40 lb (18
      kg). I prefer to be prepared and comfortable, but I have taken lightweight
      trips as well.

      ------

      3) Test Plan

      April- August: Over the testing period I will take roughly
      two trips per month ranging from 1-2 nights. My backpacking trips take me to
      the top of 14,000 ft. (4,267 m) peaks as well as high alpine lakes, just for
      kicks! My plans will take me to several base camp locations near several peaks
      where I will hike, summit, descend and repeat. I�ll see snow, high winds and temperatures
      as low as 0 F (-18 C) but perhaps as high as 90 F (32 C) along steep trails,
      scree slopes and all sorts of nasty environments. I am currently attempting to
      finish my 14ers - peaks in Colorado higher than 14,000 ft (4,267 m) � with the
      majority of them including semi-technical climbs. I am especially interested in durable pants
      that can handle glissades and slips in rocky conditions. My family wants to take a trip to the Grand
      Canyon over the summer, but with my 3 year old, it will likely only be car
      camping with day hikes. I also have a
      trip planned in Utah. I am currently
      testing a base layer, but this should not interfere with this test, if I am
      selected. These pants are like a shell,
      so the base layers would be additional insulation in cold conditions. I have already exceeded the use requirements
      for those, even though I intend to continue to use them.

      I have no true preference for pant style if I am selected. On the one hand, the Traverse would fit with
      my mountaineering plans and be versatile enough for the conditions I expect to
      experience. On the other, I would also
      find the softshell nature of the Odin appropriate and desirable. If I had to pick only one, the Odin would win
      out only by a �thread�.

      ------

      4) Current Tests and Stage (3):

      - Obermeyer Kestrel Jacket (LTR due 4/2/13)

      - ColdPruf Base Layers (LTR due 5/21/13)

      - Artisana Foods (Awaiting arrival)

      Status Page: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1823.htm

      5) OR�s completed in past year: 3

      Link to all reports/reviews: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/bhaydin