TEST APP: Helly Hansen Hybrid Pant-Women’s Version-Frances Penn

  • fpenn@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 21, 2013
      Please accept my application to test the Helly Hansen Hybrid Pant only. Sorry but California is too warm to adequately test the Odin Traverse Pant.

      I have read the BGT By-Laws (v.0609) including Chapter 5 and will comply with all of the reporting terms and requirements. My signed tester agreement is on file. I will have no difficulty meeting the expected use requirements.

      Biographical Information:
      Name: Frances Penn
      Age: 56
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)
      Weight: 135 lb (61kg)
      Email Address: fpenn AT sbcglobal DOT net
      Location: Costa Mesa, California, USA

      Date: Mar 21, 2013

      Backpacking background: I have been backpacking for five years mostly on long weekends in Southern California with one or two 5-day trips per year in the Sierras. My total daypack weight is usually 15 lb (7 kg) and my total backpack weight is usually 28-30 lb (13-14 kg). I am a tent camper and have experienced all night rain, heavy winds, camping in snow, but mostly fair weather.

      Test plan: I always wear hiking pants that have the zip off legs so I have the flexibility of changing into shorts on those really hot days and sometimes I unzip them halfway to get some ventilation. I have many backpacking trips planned and will easily exceed the minimum requirements for testing.

      I will test the following features:
      1. Adjustable waist and bottom leg for a custom fit
      2. comfortable material and fit
      3. stretch zones
      4.. breathability
      5. how fast the quick dry fabric dries from perspiration and water
      6. If the pockets user friendly and easy to access
      6. How the DWR treatment performs in the field

      In the first part of the test I should be able to see some cooler weather. As summer hits it will be warm enough to test the breathability and quick drying.

      Test Conditions: (Trips already planned)
      April: one backpack trip [Joshua Tree, weather should be cool]
      May: two backpack trips [Joshua Tree, weather may still be cool]
      June: 2 backpack trips [Yosemite, weather should start to warm]
      July: two 5-day backpack trips [Yosemite, weather should be hot]

      My tester status link: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1905.htm

      Owner Reviews:

      Dirty Girl Gaiters on August 8, 2012 http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Accessories/Dirty%20Girl%20Gaiters/Owner%20Review%20by%20Frances%20Penn/
      Gossamer Gear Riksak Daypak on August 15, 2012 http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Internal%20and%20External%20Framed%20Backpacks/Gossamer%20Gear%20Riksak%20Day%20Pack/Owner%20Review%20by%20Frances%20Penn/
      Black Diamond Fleece Tights on December 10, 2012
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Pants%20and%20Shorts/Double%20Diamond%20Sportswear%20Fleece%20Tights/Owner%20Review%20by%20Frances%20Penn/

      Current Tests:
      Heat Holder Thermal Socks, LTR due May 7
      Mountainsmith Carbonlite Trekking Poles, IR recently completed
      MPowerd Luci Solar Lantern: IR just posted
      Energizer Carabiner LED Light, LTR posted last week

      Pending applications:
      Mountainsmith Red Rock 25 Day Pack
      Helly Flow Jacket

      I do not play any additional BGT roles.