TEST CALL - New trousers for spring!

  • richardglyon@att.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 21, 2013
      And a new manufacturer as well! Helly Hansen has two sets of outdoor pants for some lucky BackpackpackGearTest.org testers to take into the wild.

      First is the ODIN TRAVERSE [http://shop.hellyhansen.com/us/item/w-odin-traverse-pant-60915/ for Women, http://shop.hellyhansen.com/us/item/odin-traverse-pant-60910/ for Men

      And then there's the ODIN GUIDE LIGHT for Men: http://shop.hellyhansen.com/us/item/odin-guide-light-pant-60911/?t_type=src&t_type=cat and HYBRID for Women: http://shop.hellyhansen.com/us/item/w-hybrid-pant-60917/

      Details: Each is a three-report test. Newbie limit does NOT apply. US testers ONLY [no cross-shipping]. US shipping included. Richard is the Test Director. Test call closes midnight PST on Thursday, March 28.

      You may apply for one or both; if you apply for both please state your preference.

      Rules for your BRIEF application:

      Subject line: "Application – Helly Hansen <product or products> - <your name>"
      BE SURE to send a copy of your application directly to me at Montana.angler AT gmail DOT com as well as posting to the list.

      Include:

      1. Opening disclaimer for testing
      2. Brief personal bio
      3. Brief test plan, including backpacking venues, and anticipated weather.
      4. Link to your previous tests/ORs (summary page) AND number of ORs in the last 12 months not including your qualifying ORs
      5. Your current test load, AND a link to your test status page
      6. Any other pending applications (If before this call closes you apply for anything subsequently to your Helly Hansen app, please send me an email noting the new app.)
      7. Any additional BGT roles (mentor, monitor, editor, etc.)

      PLEASE keep it short and sweet.

      Happy applicating, Richard
    • Ray
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 22, 2013
        The Odin Traverse looks like an awesome winter pant. It is still winter here (1 F this morning and more snow tonight they are saying) but no telling how long it will last.

        Will this test be like snowshoes in as much as when conditions don't warrant their use the test can conclude?

        Ray
      • Kathy Waters
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 23, 2013
          This is a normal, 4 month test, not a "consumables" test.

          Kathleen (Kathy) Waters

          Senior Director BackpackGearTest.org

          <http://www.backpackgeartest.org> www.backpackgeartest.org

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 23, 2013
            Richard,

            Please accept my application for the HH Odin Traverse pant. I have read the BGT Survival Guide, v. 0609, Chap. 4, ,5 and 6 (and all others) and agree to follow all requirements found therein. My signed tester agreement is on file. If selected, I will provide the best test which I am capable of.

            If selected, I'll wear a size L.

            PERSONAL BIO

            Name: Mike Curry
            Email: thefishguy@...
            Age: 42
            Location: Aberdeen, Washington
            Gender: Male
            Height: 5'11" (1.80 M)
            Weight: 190 lb (86 kg)

            I've been backpacking, climbing, ski-packing, bushwhacking, and snowshoeing throughout the mountains of Oregon and Washington for almost 30 years. I'm an all-season, all terrain, off-trail kind of guy, and enjoy backpacking, rock climbing, and mountaineering primarily in the Olympic and Cascade Mountains of Washington State.

            TEST PLAN

            My testing will occur in the Cascade and Olympic Mountains of Washington State, and possibly along the Wilderness Coast strip of Olympic National Park. Most of my trips will have mountaineering objectives, but will involve multi-day backpacking approaches, but testing will also include day hikes and backpacking. I'm out almost every weekend.

            The pants will see use in rain, snow, and wind, including camping along the west coast of the Olympic Peninsula of Washington State . . . the wettest location in the lower 48 states. Temperatures will range from as low as probably 10 F (-12 C) to over 70 F (21 C) at elevations from sea level to 14,000+ ft (4,267 M), with significant wind exposure likely.

            My reports will focus on performance, features, ease of use, and comfort.

            LINK TO PREVIOUS TEST REPORTS

            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/thefishguy

            NUMBER OF OR'S IN PAST 12 MONTHS – 0

            CURRENT LOAD AND TEST STATUS PAGE

            My current load is 0, and I can't link to my test status page because my last test finished several months ago (I took late fall/winter off), but I'm -1 across the board.

            OTHER APPLICATIONS

            None

            ADDITIONAL ROLES/LABORS OF LOVE

            Monitor, Manager, Moderator/Director
          • Ray
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 23, 2013
              That was not the question. They are winter pants. Nice winter pants. But pretty uncomfortable in warm weather. If winter ends does the test end, the way that a snowshoe test ends when the snow goes away?

              Ray

              > This is a normal, 4 month test, not a "consumables" test.
              >

              > Kathleen (Kathy) Waters
              >
              > Senior Director BackpackGearTest.org
              >
              > <http://www.backpackgeartest.org> www.backpackgeartest.org

            • Kathy Waters
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 23, 2013
                Sorry, I wasn't clear. It's a normal test. Testers will wear the pants and
                test them following the usual minimum testing requirements. Should the
                tester decide the pants are too warm to wear during the test, they will
                report on the conditions they found to be uncomfortable. That is what
                testing is about, wearing/using clothing or equipment in varying conditions
                and reporting on the performance of the item in those conditions. Helly
                Hansen does not market the pants as "winter" specific pants.

                Kathy

                <mailto:backpackgeartesters%40yahoogroups.com> , "Kathy Waters" <kathy@...>
                wrote:

                > This is a normal, 4 month test, not a "consumables" test.
                >

                > Kathleen (Kathy) Waters
                >
                > Senior Director BackpackGearTest.org
                >
                > <http://www.backpackgeartest.org> www.backpackgeartest.org
                >

                > From: backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:backpackgeartesters%40yahoogroups.com>
                > Subject: [backpackgeartesters] Re: TEST CALL - New trousers for spring!
                >

                > The Odin Traverse looks like an awesome winter pant. It is still winter
                here
                > (1 F this morning and more snow tonight they are saying) but no telling
                how
                > long it will last.
                >
                > Will this test be like snowshoes in as much as when conditions don't
                warrant
                > their use the test can conclude?
                >
                > Ray

              • Ray
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 23, 2013
                  OK, thanks Kathy.

                  Ray
                • richardglyon@att.net

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 31, 2013
                      This call will close tonight at midnight PDT. Subsequently to the extension posting I received applications from Andrei Girenkov and Gail Staisil. If I missed your application, please let me know ASAP by posting here AND SENDING ME A COPY BY EMAIL TO montana DOT angler AT gmail DOT com

                      Thanks, Richard