FR - ColdPruf Eco-Terra Base Layers - Brett Haydin

  • Brett Haydin
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 19 9:48 PM
      Gail, I have my FR ready for you to look at. I welcome your edits with open arms <grin>. For your convenience, the HTML is at: http://tinyurl.com/c6q43wk. The Text version follows. Cheers! BretterField
      Report
      Field ConditionsSince receiving the ColdPruf base layers, I have
      been on four backpacking trips, all of them in Colorado. I have also worn the
      base layers while snowboarding on four different occasions; one of which
      involved backcountry snowboarding. The layers have accompanied me on seven day
      hikes and a number of runs in addition to three mountain bike rides.
      My first trip was an overnight hike to summit
      Shawnee Peak in the Lost Creek Wilderness in Colorado. This 13 mi (21 km) hike,
      round trip, took me to the top of the 11,917 ft (3,632 m) peak where I camped at
      10,660 ft (3,250 m). Elevation gain was a little over 3,000 ft (900 m). I
      experienced strong winds, some good snowfall of 6 in (15 cm) and temperatures
      between 10 and 40 F (-12 and 4 C). I wore a jacket over the base layer top,
      another shirt and occasionally a fleece jacket. I wore a pair of synthetic
      pants over the pants, with a shell at times because of the wind.
      My next
      trip was a leisurely two-night trip along the first segment of the Colorado
      Trail. This hike ended up being 13.3 mi (21.4 km) along some easier terrain
      than the other trips, but still saw some elevation. I camped at between 6,500
      and 7,000 ft (1,980 and 2,130 m) along the way. I had fantastic weather for
      January in the mountains; a high of 55 F (13 C) and overnight lows near 30 F (-1
      C). I saw mostly sunshine with some clouds. Frankly, I used the crew sparingly
      during this hike as my 40 lb (18 kg) pack contributed to me sweating too much to
      wear the tops along the hike. I wore the bottoms, though because I was too lazy
      to take them off during the day.
      I also went on a two-night hut
      trip near Leadville, Colorado. We skinned/snowshoed 6 mi (10 km) to Uncle Bud�s
      Hut and spent the second day backcountry snowboarding, leaving by the same
      route. Temperatures were anywhere from 5 to 30 F (-15 to -1 C) and
      we had a mix of sunshine and snow with some moderate to heavy winds.
      While snowshoeing, I was able to enjoy wearing just the base layer at
      times.

      My final trip was a short overnight up towards Pikes Peak via the
      standard Barr trail. I enjoyed staying at the Barr Camp the last trip I took,
      but this time I slept indoors rather than out. The weather was snowy, and
      temperatures hovered around 20 F (-4 C). Barr Camp is approximately 6.5 mi (10.5 km) from
      the trail head in Manitou Springs. Elevation gain is 3,800 ft (1,160 m), and the
      camp elevation is 10,200 feet (3,109 meters). My
      many other activities for the most part took place in the Front Range of the
      Rocky Mountains in Colorado. Temperatures and conditions mirrored
      the conditions I experienced throughout the test.
      ObservationsOverall I am pleased with the Eco-Terra base
      layers. They have done an incredible job keeping me warm despite some frigid
      nights. Surprisingly, I don't mind wearing them in moderate weather, and was
      comfortable up to about 40 F (4 C), provided I was not engaged in highly-aerobic
      activity. For example, on my trip up to Uncle Bud's Hut, I was able to wear
      just the top without any insulation. I had to take off my fleece vest, even!
      And when the weather was foul, wearing the base layer underneath an insulated
      shell (pictured above) was all I needed with windy, snowy and cold weather: 20 F
      (-4 C). However, along the Colorado Trail, with warmer temperatures, there were
      times that I simply shed the Eco-Terra's and went with a short sleeve synthetic
      top!

      Generally speaking, after getting to camp and getting the tent set
      up (when I slept in a tent), I would take the base layers off to dry. I like to
      sleep in my base layers, so it is important that they dry out. I was a little
      concerned after my first trip, because they did not dry out all the way before I
      put them back on. However, I was just fine after crawling into my sleeping bag.
      The temperature dipped to 10 F (-12 C) and I slept in a sleeping bag rated to 0
      F (-18 C). Sometimes in weather like this I have to add a layer at night,
      especially my legs, but I was actually quite cozy. I think that I may have kept
      my shell on a bit too long which trapped in a little bit more moisture. On
      subsequent trips, I allowed my body heat to let the moisture evaporate before
      taking the top off. It is kind of fun watching the steam, by the
      way!

      The
      Eco-Terra is comfortable most of the time. I find that if I am sitting around
      idle, the wool feels slightly itchy. I notice this more on the tops than I do
      with the bottoms. Admittedly, I can be rather fickle with texture and clothing.
      Almost always, once I start moving around, I forget about the fabric and
      rejoice in the warmth. As I mentioned, the legs are less problematic for me.

      So far the base layers are quite durable. I haven't seen any signs of
      them wearing too quickly. The seams appear to be intact. The Eco-Terra is
      living up to the odor resistant claims as well. I've taken special notice when
      I get back from a trip and after I clean myself up, I give the layers the
      "sniff-test," and they smell just fine (to me). Once laundered, they are good
      as new. I mentioned that
      the pants fit funny from the crotch to the waist. To some extent, this problem
      hasn't gone away. The fit is fine once I get moving, but like the itchy-factor,
      I notice it just about every time I put them on. Maybe I just like to pull them
      up farther than the need to be!
      Summary
      The ColdPruf Eco-Terra base layers have been incredible
      companions so far. With Colorado warming up, and some trips planned to Utah, I
      am a little concerned about using them in the daytime on future backpacking
      trips, but I will use them faithfully.
      Pros: Snug,
      comfortable and odor resistant claims.
      Cons: a little
      itchy at times, weird fit for my body

      This concludes my
      Field Report. I would like to thank Indera Mills
      Co for their generosity as well as the folks at BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to be a
      part of this test series. Please check back in about two months to see how well
      the crew and pants perform out in the backcountry.
      Brett Haydin

    • woodswoman
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 21 6:37 PM
        Brett,
        Great detail! I have a few edits and you are good to go.

          used the crew sparingly
        during this hike as my 40 lb (18 kg) pack contributed to me sweating too much to
        wear the tops along the hike.

        EDIT: the "top"

          to Uncle Bud’s
        Hut

        EDIT: In the HTML version there appears to be an extra space between "to" and "Uncle"

        My final trip was a short overnight up towards Pikes Peak via the
        standard Barr trail.

        EDIT: Barr Trail

        On
        subsequent trips, I allowed my body heat to let the moisture evaporate before
        taking the top off. It is kind of fun watching the steam, by the
        way!

        Comment: I call this "power" drying as it works really well and I don't have to change layers to keep warm

           I notice this more on the tops than I do
        with the bottoms.

        EDIT: more on the "top"

        Almost always, once I start moving around, I forget

        EDIT: On the HTML version there appears to be an extra space at the beginning of the sentence

         That's it..enjoy the rest of the snow season even though it is technically "Spring". There's plenty of it here too for a long time!

        Gail

      • Brett Haydin
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 22 7:49 PM
          Gail, Got all the edits and uploaded to the folder. Thanks for the tips. It started snowing again, so I suppoes I should put these on again :) Cheers,

          Brett Haydin

          "Teamwork: It's amazing how much
          can be accomplished when no one
          cares who gets the credit."