Re: [backpackgeartesters] Response to EDIT: LTR - GSI Outdoors Glacier Stainless Tea Kettle - Mark Thompson

  • Mark Thompson
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 19, 2013
      Hi Lori,
      I will address the the issues you mentioned and post.

      Regarding your specific questions about other products, I am assuming these to
      be of a personal interest so I will answer here, rather than in the report. The
      kettle is a nice piece, but it is a price point piece and during the test I
      found that it will not be something that I would use in an alpine environment.
      I own GSI's titanium tea kettle and I like it better than the stainless, but it
      costs more. There are numerous other items that perform much better in high
      altitude or cold weather environments. Keeping with BGT's rules and the
      significant price differences, I did not write about or discuss any comparisons
      between this item and with those that could be better suited to the more extreme
      conditions. Specifically, I find that my MSR Reactor Stove system to be much
      better suited to backpacking as it uses less fuel to boil water, boils water
      much faster, uses less fuel and it's fluid capacity much better matched to my
      personal needs. Honestly, I have not found a package I like better for boiling
      water than the MSR Reactor, as long as the altitude and temperature range are
      within the constraints of canister fuel. Outside of these constraints, few
      stoves out perform the MSR white gas stove my father purchased in 1968 and
      passed on to me a few years ago.

      For high altitude mountaineering adventures, a number of 1 to 2 quart pots
      equipped with heat exchangers prove to be much more effective in transferring
      the heat energy developed by the stove to the contents of the pot. JetBoil, for
      example, makes an awesome 1.5 qt pot with a heat exchanger. Again, in
      compliance with BGT rules, I did not write about the side by side test or
      "shootout" I conducted, but the GSI Stainless kettle didn't come close to the
      MSR Reactor or the JetBoil pot. Bottom line, heat exchangers work!

      Best,
      Martk