TEST APPLICATION: Helly Hansen Flow Jacket-Women’s Version--Frances Penn

  • fpenn@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19, 2013
      Please accept my application to test the Helly Hansen Flow Jacket-Women's Version.

      I have read the BGT By-Laws (v.0609) including Chapter 5 and will comply with all of the reporting terms and requirements. My signed tester agreement is on file. I will have no difficulty meeting the expected use requirements.

      Biographical Information:
      Name: Frances Penn
      Age: 56
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)
      Weight: 135 lb (61kg)
      Email Address: fpenn AT sbcglobal DOT net
      Location: Costa Mesa, California, USA

      Date: Mar 19, 2013

      Backpacking background: I have been backpacking for five years mostly on long weekends in Southern California with one or two 5-day trips per year in the Sierras. My total daypack weight is usually 15 lb (7 kg) and my total backpack weight is usually 28-30 lb (13-14 kg). I am a tent camper and have experienced all night rain, heavy winds, camping in snow, but mostly fair weather.

      Test plan: I usually wear a fleece and then a down or synthetic jacket on my backpack trips. Since this is a fleece with an outer poly shell, I will see if I can use this one jacket to replace two jackets. I have many backpacking trips planned and will easily exceed the minimum requirements for testing.

      I will test the following features:
      1. Warmth vs. weight
      2. Breathability and moisture buildup with the 2 layers
      3. Does the 2 layered jacket feel too bulky with the pack on and off and in the sleeping bag
      4.. Are the pockets user friendly and easy to access
      5. Can this jacket replace 2 jackets and is the weight reduced by this replacement
      6. Do the two layers block the wind

      In the first part of the test I should be able to see some cold weather. As summer hits it will be too warm during the day for a jacket but I always wear one in the evenings in camp.

      Test Conditions: (Trips already planned)
      April: one backpack trip
      May: two backpack trips
      June: 2 backpack trips
      July: two 5-day backpack trips

      My tester status link: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1905.htm

      Owner Reviews:
      Gossamer Gear Riksak Daypak on August 15, 2012 http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Internal%20and%20External%20Framed%20Backpacks/Gossamer%20Gear%20Riksak%20Day%20Pack/Owner%20Review%20by%20Frances%20Penn/
      Black Diamond Fleece Tights on December 10, 2012
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Pants%20and%20Shorts/Double%20Diamond%20Sportswear%20Fleece%20Tights/Owner%20Review%20by%20Frances%20Penn/

      Current Tests:
      Heat Holder Thermal Socks, LTR due May 7
      Mountainsmith Carbonlite Trekking Poles, IR recently completed
      MPowerd Luci Solar Lantern: IR just posted
      Energizer Carabiner LED Light, LTR posted last week

      Pending applications: Mountainsmith Red Rock 25 Day Pack

      I do not play any additional BGT roles.

      Thank you for your consideration!

      Frances Penn