Application - Helly Flow Jacket - Ed Morse

  • Edwin Morse
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19, 2013
      Kurt, please accept my application to test the Helly Flow Jacket .

      I have read and agree to comply with the newly revised Backpackgeartest
      bylaws, v. 0609. I will pay careful attention to Chapters 4, 5 and 6 and the
      new test format. I have been notified that my tester agreement is on file.

      Name: Edwin Morse

      Age: 75

      Gender: male

      Height: 5' 8" (173 cm)

      Weight: 145 lb (65 kg)

      Email address: ed dot morse at charter dot net

      County, State, Country: Grand Traverse, Michigan, U.S.

      Date: March 19, 2013

      Backpacking background:

      I started backpacking in 1979 with two weeks in northern Michigan, along the
      shore of Lake Superior. My gear was cheap, heavy and painful. Starting pack
      weight was just over 70 lb (32 Kg), with food but no water. Since then I
      have made one- and two-week trips in Michigan, Maine, New Hampshire and
      Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Florida. Now my pack varies between
      22 and 32 lb (10 and 15 kg), including food and water. I'm slowly learning
      what lighter gear works for me. I do NOT intentionally backpack when there
      is the ground is snow covered.

      Test Plan: When our snow is mostly gone (sometime between next week and mid
      April) I will start with two overnight hikes to evaluate all my clothes and
      equipment. My overnight hikes are often planned the night before I go. I
      have three longer hikes in various stages of planning. In early May I plan a
      two night hike of about 30 miles, half of which will be off trail
      bushwhacking. In early June I plan to hike about 100 miles of the North
      Country trail in the Manistee National Forest. In July I have nearly
      completed plans for about 10 days on Isle Royale. The remainder of my
      backpacking this summer will all be on the North Country Trail. In August
      I'm debating between hiking from the south of the village of Mesick,
      Michigan to north of the village of Kalkaska or the North Country trail from
      Lake Michigan to Lake Superior across the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. If
      selected I would carry (or wear) the Flow jacket on all hiking and
      backpacking this summer.

      Spring, summer or fall I always assume that it will soon be cold and rainy
      in the Great Lakes area. I have had morning frost on my tent during several
      mid-summer hikes. I always carry a warm jacket as well as rain gear when

      There are a few specific features for which I will be looking. Are there any
      pockets or are the four front zippers just for ventilation? In the picture
      it appears that there are two zipped hand-warmer pockets. Will the open mesh
      and front zippers provide real ventilation when hiking? What does the Flow
      jacket weigh? Is it light enough (and warm enough) to replace the down
      jacket I always pack now? I would prefer to carry a fleece jacket that would
      still be warm when wet but the fleece jackets I are heavier and bulkier than
      down. The big test is if the Flow jacket is light weight enough and
      comfortable enough that I will continue to use it for backpacking after the
      test is complete.

      I have two applications pending - the Mountainsmith Red Rock 25 day pack and
      the Odin Fastpack jacket. If it came to a choice between the Odin and Flow
      jackets I would prefer the Flow jacket.

      I have no tests in progress.

      I have done two Owner Reviews in the last year.

      Older tests and reviews I have written may be found at the following

      or, since I had to change my ID and password early last year the latest are

      I have no roles other than testing.

      Thank you for considering this application and thanks to Helly Hansen for
      providing this jacket for evaluation and testing.