FR-COLDPRUF ECO-TERRA BASELAYERS-STEVE KIDD

  • ftroop94
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 18 8:04 PM
      Gail,

      here is my FR on the baselayers. Let me know what to work on!

      ~Steve

      HTML:

      http://alturl.com/ik9yb

      OR

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/FR-COLDPRUF%20BASELAYER-STEVE%20KIDD/

      TEXT:

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Coldpruf on a Snow Day">>
      23-24 December, 2012: The Fiery Gizzard Trail, South Cumberland State Park, Tennessee. This was a 2 day, 1 night outing. Elevations along the 14 mile (22.5 km) trek were roughly 1500 ft (457 m) to 1800 ft (549 m) with temperatures ranging from just above freezing to around 40 F (4.5 C). The sky was grey and overcast until around 9 PM on the first evening until the skies opened. After it began to rain, it never stopped until we exited the trailhead around noon on day 2.

      30-31 December, 2012: The Fiery Gizzard Trail, South Cumberland State Park, Tennessee. A second 2 day, 1 night outing; but a short 4 miles (6.5 km) in and out each way on the south end of the trail. Elevations were a fairly constant 1750 ft (533 m) on this short mileage outing and skies were clear and cold. Temperatures hovered just below freezing in the daylight hours and dropped to as low as 21 F (-6 C) in the night hours.

      7-10 March, 2013: The Savage Gulf, South Cumberland State Park, Tennessee. This was a 4 day, 3 night 'group hang' with 25 hammock campers covering 23 miles (37 km). On the first evening temperatures dropped to as low as 22 F (-5.5C), but by the final day temperature were rose as high as 63 F (17 C). Elevations ranged from 1100 ft (335 m) in the gulf to 1850 ft (564 m) on the rim. On the final evening, although the temperatures were balmy compared to the first night or two, the winds did blow as high as 30 mph. Winds like these can easily effect hammock campers as there is 360 degree air circulation.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      I've worn the baselayers on three individual outings during the current phase of the test series. They've done a more than adequate job keeping me warm during throughout the trial.

      On one outing I wore them on the hike, throughout the evening and up until bedtime. With temperatures approaching freezing, wet and windy conditions I was impressed with their performance. Along the trail I barely noticed I was wearing them, but as I sat in camp I did notice the top. At times when I was not active it was itchy. I never experienced this with the bottoms...even when wearing the bottoms and the bottoms alone.

      I don't typically wear baselayers through the day unless the weather is well below freezing or extremely windy, rather I generally reserve them for bedtime in my hammock. As just mentioned the one thing I continued to notice on the multiple nights I wore them was the itchiness of the top when I wasn't active. I find it odd that it was only the top that gave me bother. It was never to a point that I had to remove the item, and it often subsided with time, but it did cause enough discomfort to cause me to pause and think about the item.

      Both items fit snugly. I've lost a considerable amount of weight over the last six months and at points wondered if the medium size was the correct fit, however, I fit comfortably into this size in nearly all articles of clothing currently. The top does fit snugly into the armpits and the bottoms are snug on my thighs. Based on the Coldpruf sizing charts I am easily in the medium size range, but given the opportunity I'd probably go up a size in them.

      The hole in the bottoms hasn't expanded as yet, so I'm happy to report this as a positive.

      SUMMARY

      The Coldpruf baselayers have kept me warm on several cool evenings well below freezing in the backcountry throughout this test. In my opinion they do run a little snug for the size and I find the top to be a little itchy for my taste. I've grown accustomed to wearing it, but I've found other merino wool blends to be much more comfortable.

      I would like to thank Indera Mills Co. and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to test the ColdPruf Eco-Terra base layer crew and pant.

      Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.
    • woodswoman
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 22 6:26 AM
        Hi Steve,
        Thanks for the great report. I have a few edits and you are good to go. Congrats on your weight loss too..you look great!

        <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Coldpruf on a Snow Day">>
        23-24 December, 2012: The Fiery Gizzard Trail, South Cumberland State Park, Tennessee.

        EDIT: Just a layout issue...it appears that the IR layout is running into the FR.  For example the picture with the hole has the numbers 23-24 next to it on the right side. I assume this is supposed to go with the date for the December, 2012 trip.

        s dropped to as low as 22 F (-5.5C), but by the final day temperature were rose as high as 63 F (17 C).
        EDIT: but by the final day the temperature rose as high as ...

        They've done a more than adequate job keeping me warm during throughout the trial.
        EDIT: Not sure about the last part " keeping me warm during throughout the trial"..looks like too many words as well as a spelling error for "trial"

          I never experienced this with the bottoms...even when wearing the bottoms and the bottoms alone.

        EDIT: I think there are one too many bottoms!... try "even when wearing the bottoms alone".

          Based on the Coldpruf sizing charts I am easily in the medium size range, but given the opportunity I'd probably go up a size in them.
        EDIT: ColdPruf

        The Coldpruf
        EDIT: ColdPruf

        Too bad about the itchiness of the top..looks like all three testers have this problem. Hope this problem resolves with a few machine washings.

        Thanks, gail

      • ftroop94
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 22 7:05 AM
          Thanks for the edits and compliments Gail! I hadn't checked out the other reviews, but the top is MODEF itchy (or as my 5 year old would say..scratchy)!!!

          I also edited the HTML and looked at it on an iphone with no bleed over...if you could check that out and notify me if I need a little more work on it. It looks fine on a 13" laptop also.

          ~Steve

          I've attended