IR Luci Solar Powered Lantern - Frances Penn

  • fpenn@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18, 2013
      http://tinyurl.com/cqo5bqv

      LUCI SOLAR POWERED LED LIGHT
      TEST SERIES BY FRANCES PENN
      IR
      March 18, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Frances Penn
      EMAIL: fpenn AT sbcglobal DOT net
      AGE: 56
      LOCATION: Santa Ana, California
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 135 lb (61.20 kg)

      I have been backpacking for five years mostly on long weekends in Southern California with one or two 5-day trips per year in the Sierras. My total daypack weight is usually 15 lb (7 kg) and my total backpack weight is usually 28-30 lb (13-14 kg). I am a tent camper and have experienced all night rain, heavy winds, camping in snow once, but mostly fair weather.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: MPOWERD
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.mpowerd.com" LINK TEXT = "www.mpowerd.com">>
      MSRP: $24.95 US
      Listed Weight: 4.5 oz (128 g)
      Measured Weight: 4.5 oz (128 g)
      Diameter: 5 in (12 cm)
      Height: 1 in (2.5 cm) collapsed
      Height: 4 in (10 cm) open
      Open Panel Dimension: 3.35 in (9 cm) by 3.35 in (9 cm)
      Ten White Light Emitting Diodes with 4000 mcd light source

      Luci is a waterproof inflatable solar powered lantern that has two brightness settings and one emergency flashing setting. Luci has a one year warranty with an expected lifespan of 2-3 years depending on use. Luci provides 80 lumens of LED bright light creating 15 square feet of light on the brightest light setting. Eight hours of charge time yields 6-12 hours of light. A single charge will last up to three months if not used. The rechargable lithium polymer battery pack can be charged while collapsed or expanded and will charge under direct sunlight and incandescent light. With direct sunlight, Luci charges quicker and more efficiently. The storage temperature should be between -20 to 28 C (36-50 F), not to exceed 60 C (108 F). Luci is able to retain 50% of its charge for two years if inactive.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "packaging">>
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "battery">>

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      Luci arrived in a simple cardboard sleeve with product information printed on both sides. The directions indicate to pull out the inflation mouthpiece and blow into it to inflate the light. Since the light can be charged whether inflated or not, it doesn't matter if the light is charged prior to or after being inflated. I had to squeeze the inflation mouthpiece tube to get air into the light. I put the light on the kitchen counter under incandescent light for an hour and then pushed the button to light the lantern. The first push gives the lower lantern setting, the second push gives the brighter lantern setting and the third push gives the flashing light and one more push turns off the lantern. The silver circular part above the LEDs in the bottom of the light reflect the light back down to the LEDs. The on/off button is easy to push. The inflation mouthpiece cover is a tight fit and requires a little pushing and pulling to get in or out of the mouthpiece. The light is easy to inflate with two mouthfulls of air. The light is also easy to deflate by squeezing the mouthpiece to let the air escape with one hand and pushing it closed with the other hand at the same time.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "fully inflated">>

      SUMMARY

      So far Luci is a neat little light that is easy to operate and fun to play with. I can't wait to get Luci out on the trail. I will be paying special attention to the best method of fastening Luci to the outside of my pack during the day to ensure light at night in camp for cooking.

      Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.