Application - Mountainsmith Red Rock 25 - Ed Morse

  • Edwin Morse
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 17, 2013
      Application - Mountainsmith Red Rock 25 - Ed Morse

      Mike, please accept my application to test the Mountainsmith Red Rock 25 day
      pack.

      I have read and agree to comply with the newly revised Backpackgeartest
      bylaws, v. 0609. I will pay careful attention to Chapters 4, 5 and 6 and the
      new test format. I have been notified that my tester agreement is on file.

      Name: Edwin Morse

      Age: 75

      Gender: male

      Height: 5' 8" (173 cm)

      Weight: 145 lb (65 kg)

      Email address: ed dot morse at charter dot net

      County, State, Country: Grand Traverse, Michigan, U.S.

      Date: March 17, 2013

      Backpacking background:

      I started backpacking in 1979 with two weeks in northern Michigan, along the
      shore of Lake Superior. My gear was cheap, heavy and painful. Starting pack
      weight was just over 70 lb (32 Kg), with food but no water. Since then I
      have made one- and two-week trips in Michigan, Maine, New Hampshire and
      Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Florida. Now my pack varies between
      22 and 32 lb (10 and 15 kg), including food and water. I'm slowly learning
      what lighter gear works for me. I do NOT intentionally backpack when there
      is the ground is snow covered.

      Test Plan: When I'm not backpacking my favorite activity is day hiking,
      regardless of the weather. I'm retired and live in an area with many trails.
      My day hiking includes both on and off trail hikes. Presently most of my day
      hikes are snowshoeing off trail exploring and planning trail re-routes,
      generally five to eight miles daily. When hiking on trail I usually go
      longer distances (8 to 15 miles) except when building or repairing hiking
      trails. Once the snow is gone Most of my day hikes include trimming brush
      and branches along the trail.

      I will continue day hiking at least three days each week until the snow is
      gone when some weeks I will be for backpacking instead. If selected I will
      carry the Mountainsmith Red Rock 25 pack for all my day hikes including
      planned trail work days. I would expect to easily exceed the minimum hiking
      requirements in any three week period. I will look at fit and finish,
      carrying comfort, organization with three pockets. I will look at how well
      the pack can carry a few small tools such as loppers and a pruning saw in
      addition to the standard stuff I carry for day hikes. I don't understand the
      removable waist belt but I will try the pack both with and without the waist
      belt.

      I have no applications pending.

      I have no tests in progress.

      I have done two Owner Reviews in the last year.

      Tests and reviews I have written may be found at the following location:

      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/Slosteppin>
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/Slosteppin

      or, since I had to change my ID and password early last year the latest are
      here;

      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/Ed%20Morse%2037>
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/Ed%20Morse%2037

      I have no other roles other than testing.

      Thank you for considering this application and thanks to Mountainsmith for
      providing this daypack for evaluation and testing.