Application: Helly Flow Jacket - Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16 7:50 PM
      Hi Kurt,
      Please consider my application to test the Helly Hansen H2 Flow Jacket. I have read the BackpackGearTest.org By-Laws (v. 0609) particularly Chapters 4, 5 and 6 and I agree to abide by all rules and requirements. My signed Tester Agreement is on file.

      Tester information:
      · Nancy Griffith
      · 46
      · Female
      · 5’6” (1.68 m)
      · 130 lb (59 kg)
      · bkpkrgirlATyahooDOT com
      · Northern California, USA

      Backpacking background:
      My outdoor experience began in high school with involvement in a local canoeing/camping group called Canoe Trails. The culmination was a 10-day canoe voyage through the Quebec wilds. I've been backpacking since my college days in Pennsylvania. I have completed all of the Appalachian Trail in Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina. My typical trip now is in the Sierra Nevada in California and is from a few days to a week long. I carry a light to mid-weight load, use a tent, stove and trekking poles.

      Test plan or strategy:
      I am intrigued by the design of this jacket. Do the holes in the fleece really work to breathe well and yet insulate? I also like the idea of an insulating layer that is water resistant. I typically wear a light down insulating layer and a waterproof shell. This jacket could replace those in some circumstances and be more comfortable. In the first part of the test I should be able to see some cold and wet weather. As summer hits it will be too warm during the day for a jacket but I always wear one in the evenings in camp.

      Test Conditions: (Firm Plans)
      Late Winter (i.e. SOON) Overnight snowshoe backpacking trip in the Sierra Nevada (California): 7,000 – 8,500 ft (2,134 to 2,591 m); 20 to 60 F (-7 to 15 C); hopefully clear conditions
      Spring: 3-days at Pinnacles National Park (California): 1,260 to 2,100 ft (384 to 640 m) elevation; 28 to 70 F (-2 to 21 C). There is no backcountry camping allowed so we’ll dayhike and car camp. OR 3-days at Henry Coe State Park at similar conditions but with backcountry camping.
      Day Snowshoeing: Sierra Nevada, 4,000 to 8,000 ft (1,200 – 2,400 m); 20 to 60 F (-7 to 15 C).
      We backpack at least once per month and day hike most other weekends.

      I have written 6 OR's in the past year for brownie points.
      My reviews can be viewed at: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/ngriffith

      My current tests are:
      Honey Stinger Organic Gels: In LTR Stage
      GSI Pack Kitchen: IR submitted
      Labor of Love: Test Director, Monitor

      I have no other applications pending.
      Thank you for considering my application.

      Nancy