LTR - Gerber Instant Knife - Alex Legg

  • alex
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 15, 2013
      Here is my very late LTR for the Gerber Instant Knife. Our computer is still broken but I have been able to painstakingly battle with the stuck internal mouse and my USB external mouse enough to produce a report.. I'm sorry for the delay and for the lack of pictures, but I just really wanted to get the report in so that I didn't get in trouble. Thank you!

      The text can be found below and the HTML is at: http://tinyurl.com/abjfmec

      Long Term Report:

      Field Conditions:

      I have carried the Gerber Instant on all of my recent backpacking outings. I have also carried it as an every day tool. Some of the outings are listed below.

      I took the knife on a 2-day 1-night trip to the Catalina mountains north of Tucson. The elevation was around 7,500 ft (2,286 m) and the temperature ranged from 25 F to 55 F (-4 C to 13 C).

      I also used the knife on an overnight trip to the Santa Rita Mountains south of Tucson. The elevation ranged from around 5,000 ft to around 8,000 ft (1,524 m to around 2,438 m) and the temperature ranged from 30 F to 45 F (-1 C to 7 C).

      The knife was also carried on an overnight car camping trip to the Rincon mountains east of Tucson. The elevation was around 6,500 ft (1,981 m) and the temperature ranged from 35 F to 50 F (2 C to 10 C).

      Performance in the Field:

      I feel I need to be objective in reporting back on this knife because I write reviews on products for backpacking on this site. Most of my experiences while backpacking were good. The knife cut through food well, scraped the bark off small branches decently, and stabbed into tree stumps without much force. The knife generally stayed clipped to my pocket except for after the clip weakened and became very stretched out. Bending the clip back to shape did no good, even if I unscrewed it from the handle and over stretched it with pliers. These attempts seemed to just weaken the clip more. Toward the end of the testing period the only thing holding the Instant to my pocket was gravity itself. Again, I feel that while backpacking I am mostly upright and walking, so this was not a huge issue. I did noticed that the blade would open in my pocket a lot more often after the clip was stretched and the knife had freedom to wobble about. The clips lack of strength eventually led to the knife falling out of my pocket while sitting in a loud restaurant, and I was never able to recover it. I will note that the testing period had finished when this happened, so the knife did in fact last for the duration of the test. Of course it fell from my pocket about a week after the testing period was finished.

      Although the point of the Instant sticks into wood easily, a fairly flimsy piece of painted drywall managed to bend the point. I can't express my shock in seeing this adequately here. I remember loudly exclaiming something along the lines of "you gotta be kidding me," but I think there were a few other words mixed in. Again I feel I must be objective because the tip never failed while backpacking, but I like to be able to keep a knife as a tool on me at all times. I never use them for tasks that I feel they would have any problem with, or that would abuse them. Since drywall is just dust filled paper and paint is measured in millimeters, I really didn't expect what I saw. Many people I know are huge fans of Gerber, but this moment change my mind in a big way.

      The blade of the Instant has remains strong, but not especially sharp. Certain things like cloth mesh or thin nylon rope it can still cut through with ease. Other things like the plastic rings that hold a six pack of beer together seem to take a monumental effort to cut through.

      My personal opinion is that this knife being mass produced for Gerber in China has had the effect of providing a less durable tool that falls apart easily. I know many people who have Gerber blades that they swear by and have kept sharp for decades, but I noticeably did not find the words made in China on their knives. In my conversations with these happy Gerber owners, the conclusion I pointed out above seemed the common consensus. When a tool is mass produced to save cost, quality often goes out the window. I'm glad that I used this knife on an everyday basis and not just as a backpacking accessory because I may not have seen how flimsy the knife truly is during the course of the test. This is a knife where looks can be deceiving. The Instant looks like suck a tough knife, but my use during this testing period has shown me otherwise.

      When I compare the Instant to similar knives from other trusted companies, I find many stronger and longer lasting blades that sometimes cost about half of what the Instant is retailing for. I hope that Gerber goes back to the drawing board with this one because they have a lot of time honored customers who still have nothing but trust in the Gerber brand. I think this same knife being built stronger would keep people satisfied for a long time to come.

      Things I liked:
      1. Cool looking knife
      2. Handle grips well

      Things I didn't like:
      1. Flimsy construction
      2. Weak blade tip
      3. Weak belt clip
      4. Quickly dulling blade
    • Jamie D.
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 17, 2013
        Thank you Alex. Just letting you know I saw your LTR and I'm working on your edits. I'll try to get them to you early this week.

        jamie d

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 25, 2013
          Hi Alex,

          Bummer about your computer issues. I think most of us can relate! No worries about the pics, you can add some later if you want. You have others in the report so I think you are in compliance with the picture rule.
          HTML version and your links look good. It took me a while to get thru your report because there were several issues I came across. I hope I can convey my thoughts easily to you so we can get the kinks worked out. When you are done with these edits please repost and we'll get this one put to rest ASAP.
          My edit, suggestions and comments are marked with ## just below a snip of your words.

          Thanks.
          Jamie DeBenedetto
          Gerber Instant Knife Monitor

          You from your FR – "I have my doubts about the longevity of the Instant due to my experiences with the first one I got, and due to the sluggishness of the assisted opening mechanism on the replacement blade. I suspect I received a refurbished blade as a replacement, but I can't tell for sure."

          ##Edit – I noticed you did not specifically give an update regarding the assisted opening mechanism in the LTR. Since you have a replacement knife AND you had so many problems with the knife in general, I think it's a good idea to clarify in the LTR that this is your second attempt with an Instant and you still had the various failures. Essentially, the failures you experienced happened in even less than the 4 month test period. I consider that vital info. for the reader to know.
          You - I have carried the Gerber Instant on all of my recent backpacking outings. I have also carried it as an every day tool. Some of the outings are listed below.
          ##Edit – everyday
          ##Edit – since this is only some of your outings please include a sentence giving us a summary of your field uses with the item over the entire test period.
          You - I took the knife on a 2-day 1-night trip to the Catalina mountains north of Tucson.
          ## Edit – capitalize Mountains and please include the fully spelled out state after Tucson for the sake of our international audience.
          You - The knife was also carried on an overnight car camping trip to the Rincon mountains east of Tucson.
          ##Edit – capitalize mountains
          You - I feel I need to be objective in reporting back on this knife because I write reviews on products for backpacking on this site.
          ##Edit – Alex, I'm confused by this sentence. I think I know what you are trying to say but it's worded oddly. Are you trying to prepare the reader for a more negative report based on some of your non-packing experiences? Please explain and then please reword for a bit more clarity.

          You - The knife generally stayed clipped to my pocket except for after the clip weakened and became very stretched out.

          ##Edit –Starting with this sentence you begin a bit of a bunny trail. This paragraph introduces us to the idea that you will be talking about your positive backpacking experience then you jump to the malfunctions with the clip and the blade popping open. All very important points that need to be addressed, however, it's confusing for the reader. Then in the next paragraph you bring in a bit more of the positive points of the Instant and then switch over to the negative once again. Without turning this into a huge rewrite, because that would be a pain in the arse, please combine your thoughts a bit. That first paragraph needs to encompass this thought, "Most of my experiences while backpacking were good." Please list the good stuff here. Then in your subsequent paragraphs you can tell us about the several negative experiences you had. All of which I think are very important to cover succinctly. Does what I'm suggesting make sense?

          You – Many people I know are huge fans of Gerber, but this moment change my mind in a big way.
          ##Edit – I'm not sure the opinions of other Gerber owners you know should be in your report. Saying your personal experiences changed your mind about Gerber knifes is perfectly fine though.
          You – The blade of the Instant has remains strong, but not especially sharp

          ##Edit – remove "has" or change "remains" to "remained"
          You - In my conversations with these happy Gerber owners, the conclusion I pointed out above seemed the common consensus.

          ##Edit – another one where your opinion is what we want in the report, not other owners. I don't think the rest of the references to the knives and the China stuff is inappropriate though. And for the record I totally agree, I don't buy stuff made in China ever if I can help it because it's so shotty.

          You - The Instant looks like suck a tough knife, but my use during this testing period has shown me otherwise.

          ##Edit – like "such" a
        • alex
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 29, 2013
            Jamie,

            Thank you for your edits. I have reworked and corrected the requested sections and uploaded the report to the BGT site. Thanks again!

            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Jamie D." <jdeben@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > ##Edit – I'm not sure the opinions of other Gerber owners you know should be in your report. Saying your personal experiences changed your mind about Gerber knifes is perfectly fine though.
            > You – The blade of the Instant has remains strong, but not especially sharp
            >
            > ##Edit – remove "has" or change "remains" to "remained"
            > You - In my conversations with these happy Gerber owners, the conclusion I pointed out above seemed the common consensus.
            >
            > ##Edit – another one where your opinion is what we want in the report, not other owners. I don't think the rest of the references to the knives and the China stuff is inappropriate though. And for the record I totally agree, I don't buy stuff made in China ever if I can help it because it's so shotty.
            >
            > You - The Instant looks like suck a tough knife, but my use during this testing period has shown me otherwise.

          • Jamie D.
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1 2:21 PM
              Thank you Alex. Your revisions make your report so much more understandable. I did find just two other oopses, they are listed below. Go ahead and upload when those are fixed.

              You - I will note that the testing period had finished when this happened, so the knife did in fact last for the duration of the test.

              ##Edit - In light of what you wrote in the next few sentences of this paragraph, this sentence should end at the comma, omitting " so the knife did in fact last for the duration of the test."

              You - I can say without a doubt that this moment change my opinion of Gerber in a big way.

              ##Edit - "changed"

              Thanks,
              Jamie D

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 1 4:21 PM
                Hi Jamie,

                Thanks for catching those edits and thank you for your time during this testing period. This was a fun one for me. I have uploaded the corrected report.

                -Alex Legg