LTR - Outdoor Products- Amphibian Defense Pack - Derek Hansen

  • Derek Hansen
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2013
      At long last! Here is my final report on this pack. Thank you for your edits. Hopefully my extension request was honored for this late report.

      > http://bit.ly/ZBqxjH

      Best,

      ~derek

      # # #

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      I've taken the pack on three additional day hikes, totaling more than 8 miles of hiking. All of these trips were close to home in Flagstaff, Arizona, elevation 7,000 ft (2,133 m).

      I also took the pack on a family trip to Disneyland, California, in February, where I spent three days walking and running all over the park with my family. This was a great test of the pack as I used it to store water, clothing, and pack lunches.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      I don't really have a lot more to add to my field report in with the last few uses I've had with this pack. With the winter season, I was only able to get in a few day hikes with limited load packing.

      One thing I did notice about the pack that I didn't realize before is that the folding top buckles can clip to each other, like other roll-top bags I've used. This "feature" has been really nice when I didn't pack as much inside. Using the roll-top, I could squeeze out more space and then clip the top to itself, and then clip the two side straps to each other, acting as a compression strap.

      At Disneyland the pack saw a lot of movement as we used the pack for just about every loose item we took with us in the park. After I unloaded the lunch, the pack's volume decreased dramatically and I was able to compress the pack nicely with the strap system I found. The pack has held up nicely after tossing the pack into the floor of multiple roller-coaster rides across the park.

      My one critique continues to be the lack of side pockets for water storage. It would have been very handy at Disneyland to just reach and grab water to satisfy my own and my children's wants, but instead I had to take the pack off, unbuckle, and unload the water from the pack.

      PRO--Durable, great compression.

      CON--Lack of external water storage.