LTR - Acli-Mate - Sport Drink - Derek Hansen

  • Derek Hansen
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 13, 2013
      Brett,

      Hopefully you saw my extension request. I'm sorry for the delay but it's been a crazy month. Here is my final report for this item:

      > http://bit.ly/10PEW28

      Best,

      ~derek

      # # #

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      I've used the supplement on four overnight trips and a few day hikes, totaling more than 40 miles of backpacking.

      Oct 26-27: Kachina Trail, Arizona. I went on a 13 mi (21 km) backpacking trip with my troop on the San Francisco Peaks. The high temperature was around 50*F (10*C) and the overnight low was around 30*F (-1*C). Elevation was 9,200 ft (2,800 m).

      Nov 2-3: Upper Lake Mary, Arizona. I joined the older boy scouts on a short 4 mi (10 km) backpacking trip near Lake Mary. The high temperature was around 50*F (10*C) and the overnight low was 35*F (2*C). Elevation was 7,000 ft (2,100 m).

      Feb 15-16: Fossil Creek, Arizona. This was a 10 mi (16 km) backpacking trip into the Fossil Creek canyon. The elevation change was 1,700 ft (520 m) with a top elevation of 5,700 ft (2,000 m). During the night, the temperature dropped into the mid-50s *F (~10 *C).

      Feb 27-Mar 1: Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona. This was as 22 mi (35 km) backpacking trip into the canyon where we experienced more than 10,000 ft (3,050 m) of grueling elevation change. The coldest overnight temperature was 28*F (-2*C) and the high was around 62*F (17*C).

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      For most of my trips, I followed the manufacturers directions and drank the supplement prior, during, and after the trip. The packets are easy to open in the field, even in cold temperatures. I typically pack a collapsible, high-capacity (2.5 L) water bottle for water storage and a smaller, hard-sided 1L water bottle for mixing drinks. This is my personal preference in part because it is easier to clean out the hard-sided water bottles thanks to the larger opening. When I pour the packet contents into the bottle, I crease the packaging slightly so it funnels into the bottle easier.

      Taste

      I have two favorite flavors: Elevation Orange and Colorado Cran-Raspberry. My least favoriate is the grape; there is a slight after taste that I do not like. I preferred to water down the mix just slightly, not because the flavor is too strong, but mostly for personal preference in the field.

      Performance

      For most of my trips I didn't notice any dramatic change in my system, but I also didn't have any symptoms of altitude sickness either. Where I really felt a significant boost was during my trip into the Grand Canyon. I saved the remaining packets I had for this trip because my trip plan called for some long mileage days and dramatic elevation changes. I was very regimented in my use of the supplement, using it to restore my electrolytes, hydrate, and counteract the affects of elevation change. My three hiking partners all complained of muscle soreness and some elevation weariness. To my delight, I felt restored and alert each day. I attribute this to using the packets while staying well-hydrated.

      My hike out of the Grand Canyon was very ambitious: 10 mi (16 km) and 5,000 ft (1,500 m) of elevation change. I completed the hike in less than 4.5 hours. I used a few packets on the hike out and I was feeling great when I topped out. I was very grateful.

      PRO--Overall good flavor, minimal after taste for most flavors. Helped to restore my electrolytes and prevented altitude sickness.

      CON--Not a huge fan of the grape flavor; some after taste.
    • Brett Haydin
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 19, 2013
        Derek,
        I did see your extension! Sounds like the product was a good one (I think). I have a few items for you to look over and then you are free to upload. Sharp looking HTML as usual. See you down the trail...

        Brett Haydin

        "Teamwork: It's amazing how much
        can be accomplished when no one
        cares who gets the credit."

        <snip>

        I've used the supplement on four overnight trips and a few day
        hikes, totaling more than 40 miles of backpacking.

        Edit: Perhaps just a how many days use (I assume 8, but make it
        easy for the reader J )

        <snip>

        For most of my trips, I followed the manufacturers directions and
        drank the supplement prior, during, and after the trip.

        EDIT: �manufacturer�s�

        <snip>

        My least favoriate is the grape; there is a slight after taste
        that I do not like.

        EDIT: �favorite�

        <snip>

        I was very regimented in my use of the supplement, using it to
        restore my electrolytes, hydrate, and counteract the affects of elevation
        change.

        EDIT: You mean �effects� not �affects�

        <snip>

        This concludes my report

        EDIT: add a period at the end of the sentence, please.

        Edit: How likely are you to
        use this product in the future? Could
        you please add a sentence about that?