TEST CALL: Day Trippers One Way Ticket Out

  • Mike Pearl
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 12, 2013
      Now boarding three Testers bound for the trails with the Red Rock 25 backpack from Mountainsmith.  Space is limited so get your brief, concise apps in now!

      ~Travel Details~
      This is a DAY HIKING PACK.
      NO overnights are required.
      This is a THREE report test with a minimum of 5-7 trips/hikes required.
      US Shipping Included.
      Does NOT count for newbie limit.

      ~Link to Travel Companion~
      http://mountainsmith.com/index.php/backpacks/red-rock-25.html

      ~Application Itinerary~
      1. The opening disclaimer for testing.
      2. Tester bio.
      3. Brief test plan demonstrating how your test will meet the minimum requirements.
      4. List of current test and a link to tester page.
      5. Number of ORs in the past 12 months (initial 2 are void).
      6. Any outstanding apps.
      7. Any additional BGT roles (mentor, monitor, etc.)
      8. Please use subject line "Mountainsmith Red Rock 25".
      9. Please cc me, mikepearl36(@)yahoo(.)com

      This call will close Tuesday, March 19, 2012 at 9pm EST.

      All aboard!!
      Mike
    • Mike Mosack
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 12, 2013
        Hi Mike!

        Please accept my application to test the Mountainsmith Red Rock 25 pack.

        I have read the BGT By-Laws (v.0609) including Chapter 5 and will comply
        with all of the reporting terms and requirements. My signed tester agreement
        is on file. I will have no difficulty meeting the expected use requirements.

        Biographical Information:
        Name: Michael Mosack
        Age: 49
        Gender: Male
        Height: 6’01” (1.85 m)
        Weight: 236.0 lbs (107.0 kg)
        Email Address: mosack at earthlink dot net
        San Diego, California, USA

        Date: Mar 12, 2013

        My Backpacking Background: I've been backpacking for over 30 years, doing solo and group trips, with and without kids. I do day trips, weekenders and week-long or longer trips throughout the year. I backpack in all climates and seasons, from summer desert trips to Spring/Winter camping in Michigan, Canada California and Grand Canyon, Arizona to Afghanistan and rely on my backpacking equipment constantly. I prefer to go lighter whenever possible and am always trying new items. Quality and reliability of items I carry are paramount to me over price and weight.

        Testing plan: I tend to develop a very personal relationship with my pack, more so than any other piece of gear. This can happen quickly or over time. I want to find out if this pack will rub me the wrong way or be my best friend or somewhere in between. I have an overweight dog that needs me to spend more time with her and this day pack will be a great piece of gear to carry my lunch and all of “our” toys into the field. I guarantee we will all get a good workout – My dog Faith, the daypack, and me...

        I would like to test the following…

        1.. Will the pockets hold up when loaded? Are they useful or just pretty and will they conveniently hold the listed water bottle types? Even when the pack is full?
        2.. Being hydration compatible – is it easy to change or fill the bladder and how secure will the available routing hold the tube or the pocket hold the bladder?
        3.. Side "V" compression straps for load stability and stabilizer straps will be tested to see if the pack feels secure as I move.
        4.. Will the pack material stand up to the harsh sun blazing down on me in Southern California or will colors fade?
        5.. Will the gear loops and webbing hold up or rip at the stitching?
        6.. Is the pack comfortable? How will it differ when used without the removable hip belt?
        7.. I will test this pack in various situations by checking fit, construction, operation, convenience, size vs. pack-ability, access to gear from the top, balance, quality of manufacturing and comparison of manufacturer’s claims to product capabilities.

        I will have numerous dayhiking trips to draw my conclusions from. My testing plan includes extended time in the field, day and night in varying climates and terrain, to include rocky desert floor to forested mountains. I plan to use the Mountainsmith Red Rock 25 as my primary daypack for this test. The size of this pack will do well for my field time.

        My tester status link: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1872.htm

        Previously Written Reports
        Owner Reviews: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/mosack however none within this past year.

        Current Tests…

        Selected to test the Kindle Cook but it has yet to arrive.

        I have no pending applications.

        Labors of love – Test monitor for Cascade Designs - LuxuryLiteR UltraLight Cot but it has yet to arrive to the testers.

        Thank you for your consideration!

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 12, 2013
          Hi Mike,

          Please accept my application to test the Mountainsmith Red Rock 25 pack.

          I have read and understood the current requirements in the Survival Guide Version 0609, and I agree to comply with all of these requirements as a tester. My signed Tester Agreement is on file with BGT. I will have no difficulty in meeting the use requirements of this test.

          Applicant: Bob Sanders
          Gender: Male
          Age: 55
          Weight: 220 lb (100 kg)
          Height: 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)
          E-Mail: sherpabob at mac dot com
          Location: Longmont, Colorado

          Backpacking Background:
          I have evolved from a traditional backpacker to a lightweight/ultralight backpacker. During the warmer months (April to September) my base weight is between 8 and 12 lb. (3.6 to 45.4 kg). Which shelter I take is what basically changes the base weight. When I use a tarp I am in the low end, a hammock I'm in the middle and a tent puts me on the high end. All the other equipment I take pretty much remains the same. The lighter weight preserves my knees and I find I can go longer distances and explore more challenging places. I usually travel between 6 and 20 miles (9.6 and 32 km) for day hikes and overnighters.

          Test Plan:
          I am a huge day hiker and at a minimum I get out at least once a week for a day hike and I try to get out for an overnight weekend at least once a month. It helps my sanity. If selected I plan to wear the pack on all day hikes and other excursions where I will need a pack to carry additional items like fishing trips, riding my bike and even trips to the grocery store for a few items. Even on short day hikes I always take the 10 essentials, rain gear, some food, water and sometimes camera gear. 25 L is a great size for a day bag.

          I will be evaluating the fit, adjustability, ride, comfort and true carrying capacity. I will also keep a close eye on durability. I am a big fan of panel loader type packs as it makes finding things easier. All the pockets always come in handy and I will be evaluating how functional they are from an organizational viewpoint. I have on of the older Mountainsmith lumbar packs and it is still going strong, great pack!

          My tester status link: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/sherpabob

          Current Tests: None

          Pending applications: None

          ORs: None in the past year

          Labors of love � Test monitor: Honey Stinger Blueberry Buzz bars

          Thank you for your consideration!

        • Jamie D.
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 12, 2013
            Please consider my application to test the Mountainsmith Red Rock 25. I have read the current version of the test requirements stated in the BGT Tester Bylaws and I promise to comply with them to the best of my abilities. My Tester Agreement is on file and I am not a new tester.

            Reviewer's Information

            Jamie J. DeBenedetto
            Female, 40 years old
            Height: 5'11" (180 cm)
            Weight: 170 lb (77 kg)
            Email: jdeben-at-hotmail-dot-com
            Personal Website: www.mydog8az.com
            Location: Phoenix, Arizona - The Grand Canyon State
            Date: March 12th, 2013

            Background/Experience
            I've spent numerous hours fishing, rafting, creeking, and day hiking in the wild places of Arizona. I caught the backpacking bug at fifteen. At present I work as an exPAWdition leader so I'm in the field, usually with a pack of dogs, at least sixteen times a month. Most outings are day hikes but I take occasional camping trips with my family throughout the year too.
            I prefer hammocks over ground sleeping and I gravitate toward multifunctional gear that enhances my comfort level with minimal fuzz or weight. My total pack weight is usually 25 lbs (11 kg) or less.

            Test Plan

            If chose I plan to use the Red Rock 25 as my main day pack for work trips and all other treks, giving me somewhere around 70 dayhikes over the testing period. I assume all outings will take place in Arizona, mostly in high and low desert terrain but I do frequent lakes, rivers and streams in the summer so some riparian zones could be mixed in. I'm responsible for several dogs while hiking, which means I carry more water than a single day hiker. I typically use both bottles and a hydration bladder so I'll be able to evaluate both of these features quite easily. The weight/volume is close to what I currently carry so I don't foresee having any problems staying within the MFG's intended use. I fit the torso range of the Red Rock and although I'll miss having hipbelt pockets, I'm sure I can figure out how to make due. I'm not a big daisy chain user but it will be fun finding ways to creatively test them. Lastly, I'm positive the pack's perspiration system and Durmax shell will be put through their paces. It's hot and prickly where I hike, nough said!

            Current Tests: None

            Direct link to all reports -
            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/K9hiker

            Owner Reviews in the last year: None

            Other apps I have pending: None

            Other BGT Contributions: I am currently monitoring one test series and I am the Editors Team Director.

            Thank you for your time and for considering my application.
            Jamie J. DeBenedetto